It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you do when you get cold feet about your art?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
There are maybe six months since I totally lost my inspiration. I waited because I know it happens sometimes but it always comes back.
Not this time.
I draw and sometimes paint, but mainly draw. Always considered it a hobby, not a profession. Never sold a piece, but I gave a lot of them as gifts. I do other little things that I sell sometimes at local fairs, but drawing was my secret passion that only very close people knew about.
Lately (maybe one year or so) I thought maybe I could make a living out of it so I tried to put them out there to see the reactions. I was featured in a few local exhibitions, some people get interested, I was even approached for making a course. Everything went very well then I think I got cold feet and stopped everything.

Seems like the idea of trying to sell my drawings killed all my courage. I made a facebook page, like I was advised, but I only posted a few posts then completely abandoned it. I hate marketing myself. I hate the world of so called "art experts", they seem so fake to me. They recommended me an agent to help me "getting there" but never went to meet him. I'm still in the process of making a website but for the life of me can't do it. I don't even made a business card

The worst part is that I have no desire or inspiration to draw anymore; there are 3 days since I'm trying to start a custom order, something really simple and I can't force myself to do it. I refused another one about a month ago because I knew I wouldn't do it. All I do is browsing ATS and watching movies online

Every time I try to draw something I feel like I have nothing to say anymore. Blank. I feel like I lost it.
I also feel like I'm blowing myself the chance to do something I love and and I'm good at. My family is looking at me like I'm crazy. I start to think I'm crazy.

So, my question is what you do to get the inspiration back? Or the courage?
Does this happen to any of you?
I feel like If I could only start again then it will come back to me; but I don't seem to find anymore that impulse to take the paper and start drawing.
I would love any advice you have for me.

Oh, and here are some of my works:

White pastel on black cardboard:

Black graphite on white paper ( I love ostriches):

Watercolor:

edit on 14-10-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Smoking

ETA: The bird, I really like that

edit on 14-10-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Thank you.
I called the ostrich Mister Phillip. Don't ask me why
but I love him.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I know where you're coming from. I work in graphics programming, and need to build up a portfolio of work which is available on a blog or website. Some days I'm in the mood for writing a blog articles or doing the many tasks I need to do, others not.

There are some hosting ISP's that have their own online webpage editors. You just drop and drag the various elements you want (columns, blog page, text, titles). Professional web page designers I believe use DreamWeaver.

Try taking a rest, and look for inspiration. I like surfing the web, just looking for images (landscapes, funny critters, architecture, space). Go out and look at the shop windows or the arts'n'crafts stores. Sometimes even doing an image search using just the size of the picture (eg. 800x600) can bring up really weird stuff.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat
I'm not sure what to suggest as you sound as if it's no longer possible to initiate. When I get low, I look at others work and I seem to find inspiration. Other than that, find something you would love to do or take a little longer of a break from drawing. Good luck. OH, btw, very nice work.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
Yes, I know about making a website, is not complicated.
I only lack the desire to do it

I'll try browsing art, usually it makes me want to do some too.
Good luck in your endeavors too!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown
Thank you for advice and kind words.
I don't know either how to "unstuck" my inspiration. Maybe a longer break is a good idea; the more I want to push it the more it goes away.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
im not an artist but i enjoy carving i recently did something for someone, i put a lot of heart and soul into it i wasn't satisfied with the end product but the recipient was i tried to make it even better but i was told to have more faith in myself, so thats my advice to you. i dont know if this will help you

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: malevolent
Yeah, they say artists are the worst critics of themselves.
A bit of faith could only help I think. Fear of failure or of not being good enough is a terrible feeling.
Thank you for advice

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wow! You are very talented! I hope you find your inspiration again and can share your wonderful work with the world.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
WhiteHat that is very true whether or not another thinks its good we tend to feel it needs more detail or somethings missing, or its just not right. can i ask you something? are ocd? the pictures you showed were great if you were to ask my opinion stop letting yourself get you down, i doubt im right here but when you critique your products think how the one you made them for would react to them.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
When you have cold feet about your art. Just cut your feet off. That should solve the problem.

Wait, it did not solve the problem you say. Well in that case. There is nothing anyone can tell you that will make you feel better. Your inspiration has to come from within. So If I was you. I would just put the art to the side and try to find something, anything that inspires you.

Explore nature. Go to art museums or look up art online. Find a completely different way to express your artistic side and see if that reignites your passion. Go out and meet a new girl or guy. Unless your in a relationship already. Then maybe try to find a friend that you can get inspiration from. I know I just said inspiration has to come from within. But sometimes we can find a muse that inspires us within.

Your art is terrific. Your just going through a prolonged period of self doubt. Which is the bane and mortal enemy of many artists. Hopefully you will find the inspiration that sparks your soul and go into a frantic period of creation.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I am a professional artist, and have had similar issues marketing myself. Most of which I managed to get past. I hope I can offer some suggestions, but honestly the inspiration of an artist is very personal and varies. But here's my view on it.

I tend to not have problems being inspired, but do take breaks to allow my mind to focus on the direction. I have mostly focused on just showing in small, no commission venues like cafes, brewpubs and coffeehouses. This allows me to spread my work out faster, gets better response/exposure, and I sell enough to keep moving forward in the process. I really don't have to deal with an 'art scene' unless I go out to art walk and someone asks me what I do.

I don't focus on juried shows or exhibits, and don't need a ribbon to feel good about my creations. You should only care what you think about it. The happier you are with your work, the happier others will tend to be about it as well.

And while we are on the subject of happiness, does creating art make you happy? Does it makes others happy? Is your art happy art? There is something I've noticed having many shows in many mediums/styles/themes. Moods sell, and happiness is one of the most profitable moods. My silliest and happiest work tends to be the most popular, right after interesting moody pieces.

Since creating good art tends to stem from feeling something you wish to express, if you are not inspired you should go see some great art that makes you feel something. Go to a new awesome museum or gallery. Go read a powerful book or listen to a symphony, go out for Cuban food or find a mystic to read your palm... getting your juices flowing again, then let inspiration catch you again. Get outside the box and try a new method or medium, unlearn an old constricting rule, free yourself.

Instead of looking at the art scene as this huge obstacle, just realize your 'scene' can be as simple as finding some very inspired local artists at the artwalks, and make some friends with the ones who have similar or complimentary styles, and mostly those you are comfortable around and that make interesting art. I have made some wonderful artist friends over the past few years, and we help each other in many ways finding shows and new creative ideas that make the journey a fun creative one again.

You have a lovely technique and appealing results, thank you for sharing. I hope you find your inspiration in excess

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Thank you, you are very kind

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I found that I lost my inspiration in artistic projects when I looked at it more as a business than an art form and something I loved. It's best to distance yourself from the commercial world considerations, try to get in nature if you can, relax, meditate, and just draw for yourself (for the love of it.) I cannot advise you on marketing. I am a visual artist who eventually came to focus on writing to try to make a living doing what I love, but real artists like us are deterred by commercial/business mindsets. I would recommend getting back into it as a strictly personal thing and when you have plenty of artworks, then take them around, show people. Artists like us hate marketing because marketing is about manipulation (using people, bullying them nicely into buying what you do,) whereas art is all about an expression of truth which, we hope, touches and moves someone in a deep and meaningful way. Your best bet, outside of making connections (if you can,) is to really focus on your art. You must love what you do and do it for love.

Wonderful drawings, BTW! I said "real artists" because you are one! My favourite is the first pic of a sad girl. Grabbed my attention right away and pulls me back. That is the kind of intimate, real art that I'd like to see a lot more of in this world! The ostrich is more affective in a commercial sense (people love animals, but it also has a bold, excited character looking out at you.) All are well done.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

can i ask you something? are ocd?

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you asking me if I have OCD?
God knows, I hope not lol

I looked the symptoms online and no, nothing like that. I'm quite sure of my self as a person but not as an artist, and is very easy to throw me off tracks with just a few words. As a child I was always thought to never brag about myself, never praise myself but to wait for others to do it if I'm worth it. And if they don't, then probably there's nothing worth praising

I never had a problem while I was drawing for myself, for my own pleasure. But the idea to put my work out there for all to judge... Yet somehow this is exactly what I want, as an artist, otherwise there's no way to improve or advance.
Anyway, thank you for your interest and advice

edit on 15-10-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Your just going through a prolonged period of self doubt. Which is the bane and mortal enemy of many artists. Hopefully you will find the inspiration that sparks your soul and go into a frantic period of creation.

Thank you so much, feels like you hit the nail in the head.
Also a friend to work with, to check out each other' works, to inspire each other will be terrific. Unfortunately I have no one close that is into art; most friends who see my works like them a lot but cannot give me any constructive opinion, they react the same if I show them some cute pics of cats on facebook
My family love what I do no matter what, and the artists I know so far are very exclusive and suspicious creatures, like I could steal their talent or something...
Maybe I'll try joining an artists forum, yeah, that will help I think to get me going.
Have a great day (or night?)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

You are very talented.

I agree with you about marketing oneself. I HATE it, too. With a passion. I write music and marketing myself is one of the hardest things I've ever attempted to do. True, there are people can do it *for* you, but I like to do things myself.

I feel like If I could only start again then it will come back to me; but I don't seem to find anymore that impulse to take the paper and start drawing.
Oh I know that feeling. Sometimes you have to take that first step. Or find something to inspire you. Or hurt you.

How does one get past the "block?" I'm not sure. I lost my muse and interest 10 years ago and didn't write any music at all. For 10 years. Then suddenly I had a muse and the stuff is pouring out. It was hard to start back. I also used to write poems and stories all the time. I mainly just pumped out the poems every day but when it came to stories, I needed to be *inspired.* I felt that I needed this spark to ignite inside me to fuel the creativity. That is, I think, incorrect thinking. Most writers I've read, and like, say you should always write, even when you feel you can't. Just write. Just do it. That way you don't get creatively "stopped up." Maybe the same applies to painting and drawing, and perhaps even music, or anything creative. Just keep it coming. Good or bad just keep it coming until something good comes.

And if one person appreciates it, if it reaches one person, that's all that matters.

As far as making a living...heh, that's the life of struggling artist.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro
A lot to think about in your post.

I don't focus on juried shows or exhibits, and don't need a ribbon to feel good about my creations. You should only care what you think about it. The happier you are with your work, the happier others will tend to be about it as well.

I personally feel great about my works and I enjoy enormously drawing but somehow I seem to need other people permission and confirmation, like my work in itself is not worthy enough. Weird thing to discover about myself.
It may be probably because I don't have an official art education, whatever I do I learned by myself, so maybe not having a diploma makes me feel like an intruder in the world of art. I almost expect someone to tell me "go away, don't you see you don't belong here?".
Like I said, a lot think about.
Thank you so much, I feel so grateful for having a chance to talk about this and getting valuable advices.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Some wonderful work there!

Personally, I like to draw and paint, and have always had cold feet about letting others see it.

When younger I had teachers pull my stuff out and enter me in contests, I even was thrust into some huge national competition in a catagory of political cartooning, just because some dimwit friend saw my drawings and went and told a teacher. These events made me feel traumatized. After that, I made sure to not let anyone see what I do.

My husband did, when our relationship got to a point of intimacy, and he started putting pressure on me to make a living out of it, and tells other people about it. I feel really pissed when he does that.

Trying to analyze my feelings, I guess it is somewhat like these are my children, and I feel protective. They are not born for others to judge, or to compete with others. They have a life of their own for me, and simultaneously remain parts of me, manifested.

I can't help admire your courage, in revealing them to the world. Though I admit, there's some subtle feelings that are similar to "how can someone sell their reproductive abilities to others? How can they just put their babies out there, to be abused, bought, sold, whatever anyone wants to do with them???"

I realize that is totally irrational, and laugh at myself. But that is how it is. *shrug and smile*

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join