It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New photo shows legendary 1962 Alcatraz escapees in Brazil..alive and well

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You have all heard the stories about the escaped Anglin brothers who used coats to make a makeshift raft and put dummy heads in their beds. You may have even seen the mythbusters episode. Well take a look at this.

family release pictures of the pair in Brazil

Maybe the FBI got it wrong when they said they had died in the bay. And the man who devoted his career and life to finding them agrees.

Not sure if they will face arrest if their whereabouts can be determined but time will tell.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

I had just watched Escape from Alcatraz last week, which I had not seen in years, and then looked up the results of the investigation and the Dutch team's findings.

The Christmas card had been circulating for sometime so I always thought it was plausible that at least one of them made the shore.

Cool article, thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I suppose if the FBI didn't want others to risk the crossing then they would say those who try it die.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I suppose if the FBI didn't want others to risk the crossing then they would say those who try it die.

That was not really a factor as the prison closed soon after anyway.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Although they found their raft washed up on shore, they never found any bodies…

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I watched this last night, it was quite interesting.

What they don't tell you in the article or on the History channel's page either, is there was a DNA test done. This was performed using DNA from another uncle Albert. The official cause of his death was, electrocution from an Alabama State penitentiary, during an attempted escape. The family never agreed with it, the mortician said he looked as if he was beaten. The family said, his mother visited him just 9 days before his death. During the visit he had told her, they were alive, and he knew where they were. They believe he was tortured to death in order to find out the Anglin brothers whereabouts. They exhumed the body and performed a forensic autopsy and the findings were, no obvious signs of trauma. The DNA test was compared to remains found in San Francisco Bay 9 months after the escape, and it was not a match.

The investigator also mentioned, they had many phone calls from people saying, they saw them in South America. When he first looked at the photograph, he was dumb-founded. The forensic artist had said that this was an uncanny match, with the facial structure. It did really match exactly, when they did an overlay of their prison mugshots and the picture on the farm of a childhood friend to the brothers. The forensic artist's exact words on his conclusion was, "If this was my investigation, I would round up the posse!"

There was another point brought up by the family. When the Anglin brothers were growing up, they used to ride the river. What they did was use a pole or a rope. I wasn't really paying too much attention at this point, was busy doing school work too. Basically, what they would do is, wait for a boat to pass by, and hitch a ride. They had an audio recording with the family friend, saying that's what the brothers did.
edit on 13-10-2015 by IncognitoGhostman because: added more context

edit on 13-10-2015 by IncognitoGhostman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That's interesting stuff I think. It's something that has interested me in a while. I wouldn't quite use the phrase fairy tale these were two convicts at the end of the day but there is an air of that to it. It says a lot about the men. They'd have to be ruthlessly determined and have nerves of steel to go through with it. I wonder if there are two 80 something men sat back sipping on a whiskey with a grin on their faces.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: IncognitoGhostman

I watched this last night, it was quite interesting.

What they don't tell you in the article or on the History channel's page either, is there was a DNA test done. This was performed using DNA from another uncle Albert. The official cause of his death was, electrocution from an Alabama State penitentiary, during an attempted escape. The family never agreed with it, the mortician said he looked as if he was beaten. The family said, his mother visited him just 9 days before his death. During the visit he had told her, they were alive, and he knew where they were. They believe he was tortured to death in order to find out the Anglin brothers whereabouts. They exhumed the body and performed a forensic autopsy and the findings were, no obvious signs of trauma. The DNA test was compared to remains found in San Francisco Bay 9 months after the escape, and it was not a match.

The investigator also mentioned, they had many phone calls from people saying, they saw them in South America. When he first looked at the photograph, he was dumb-founded. The forensic artist had said that this was an uncanny match, with the facial structure. It did really match exactly, when they did an overlay of their prison mugshots and the picture on the farm of a childhood friend to the brothers. The forensic artist's exact words on his conclusion was, "If this was my investigation, I would round up the posse!"

There was another point brought up by the family. When the Anglin brothers were growing up, they used to ride the river. What they did was use a pole or a rope. I wasn't really paying too much attention at this point, was busy doing school work too. Basically, what they would do is, wait for a boat to pass by, and hitch a ride. They had an audio recording with the family friend, saying that's what the brothers did.

It would stand to reason that the bones they found did belong to morris. If things got a bit difficult or started to go wrong, who do you think the brothers would be more concerned about?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Exactly! They never did say if they had done a DNA comparison test with any of his family. What else is interesting about him is. They said he was a genius, with an IQ in the top 3%. The whole investigation is crediting him with being the one who planned the escape.

The brothers are probably sitting sitting there saying, "Who's the genius now!"
edit on 13-10-2015 by IncognitoGhostman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Very interesting. I didn't see any mentions if they are likely dead or alive ? They only mentioned they would be in their 80's if alive.

I wonder if it will go more in details about the nephew and what he knows?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Ha! Good for them. Such a good movie too. Seems like South America is the place to be when youre chased out of North America or Europe. Wonder what other "dead" people are living it up down there.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
After watching the show which I found interesting, I firmly believe the Anglin brothers made it, based on the evidence (picture analysis). But now I wonder where Frank Morris ended up. They obviously escaped together, but then probably split up where three guys would've drawn suspicion at the time, the Anglin brothers ending up in Brazil and Morris maybe some other South American country. It was interesting that Morris had a 130+ IQ, so who knows what plot he had to remain undetected.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Or maybe there was only room on that raft for two...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Interestingly around the same time we have Nazi fugitives such as Mengele in Brazil at the time. I wonder if the Alcatraz inmates ever cross paths with the Nazis?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There was a body or partial discovered 9 months later, could be Morris but no surviving relatives to test against, who knows if he made it but it's highly likley the 2 brothers made it and are the ones in the photo

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I didn't know about about a body being found. Didn't Mythbusters do an episode where they built a similar raft and successfully navigated the currents to make landfall?

They proved it was possible, where before officials had claimed the currents would sweep them out to sea through the golden gates.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I hope they lived long enough to see the movie. Or, if they are still alive, to autograph copies of it!

new topics

top topics

join