It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida judge slammed for jailing domestic violence victim

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Young mother in Florida is jailed for FTA to testify in domestic violence case. She has a one year old baby and even though the contempt charge was for 3 days in jail, it will be an inconvenience for this mother. Oh, and the charging judge.....Seminole County Circuit Judge Jerri Collins, a WOMAN. The judge could use discretion in the punishment such as pay a small fine like $10, noooooo, she had to be a super biatch and sentence this frightened abused woman to jail time! I would love to see her history in FTA punishments. The judge's excuse that they had a jury all ready to go was lame. The woman is scared and her whole world is upside down. And even though (from link)

"You may testify as to why the court should not hold you in contempt of court for failing to appear, as summoned," Collins said at the start of the hearing. "You refused to come to court ... you had indicated [to prosecutors] that you were not going to show up, knowing that you were under subpoena."

According to the article, this happened in July 2015 but the video is just now surfacing.

www.youtube.com...

"I have tried to move on with my life," the woman explained, still sobbing. "I'm, like, homeless now. I'm living at my parents house. Everything has been shut off. I had to sell everything I own. I'm just not in a good place right now."

Collins then ordered the woman to jail.

www.upi.com...

Other link

www.washingtonpost.com...

I don't even know what to think about a judge with such a cold heart. Apparently, there is a law on the books which can exempt the victim in these types of cases from appearing personally, using depositions instead. I don't know if this victim has an attorney but if so, she needs a new one.

This is a horrid ethical violation imho. I wonder if the judge can be recalled ASAP? I hope the outcry against the judge is loud and long
edit on 12-10-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

That's terrible. What a cold hearted and disgusting human.

Rather than try to help the woman, she puts her in jail?

Hope this story goes viral and someone sets up a gofundme page for her. She obviously needs some financial assistance as well as some compassion in her life.

So sad.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The Judicial system has been like the wild west, with pretty much no oversight, no one to enforce laws against Judges. It has nothing to do with justice in most cases. Everything to do with how much money can they squeeze out of you. Usually by fear tactics, like this one. I'm sure the judge was trying to get more court time out of her case. there is a ton of money to be made in just traffic tickets alone. This reminds me of the time I was in front of another Judge, after getting a 3rd traffic stop, in one year. The judge made me get a lawyer, $1500.00, threatened me with 1 year in jail, wouldnt let me speak at all, brought my entire traffic history including juvenile records. This was for a 5mph speeding ticket, with 1 week left until my traffic history was to be expunged. Its all about the benjamins.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
sometimes the law is an ass.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why didn't she testify?

Many places now arrest both (or more) parties in a domestic dispute.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I wonder if her not showing up will allow the defendant to go free and hold a knife to another woman's neck?
I'm not defending the judge here but it makes me think how many men she has seen walk out of her court room because a women will not testify.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sometimes the victims of domestic violence or abuse get so brainwashed by their abuser that they need some extra motivation or a kick in the pants to stand up for themselves.

It's sounds to me that this was what the judge was trying to do. Just some tough love.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Why didn't she testify?

Because she was afraid the SOB would come after her if she did.

Why the # would you arrest the person that got abused?

That is #ing retarded!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It happens more than you know. I used to work as a armed security guard at a place where they hid the victims of domestic abuse that had a viable threat against them. Sometimes there was only one of them at the facility. Several times I was called before my shift to be told that I wouldn't be needed. It didn't bother me because I got paid either way. When I went back I'd find that the person (they were not only women) that I was guarding had been put into "protective custody" until they testified.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

Women have to fight for women.

For evey woman who doesn't stand her ground and testify --- a predator is set free to abuse again.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

That's terrible. What a cold hearted and disgusting human.

Rather than try to help the woman, she puts her in jail?

Hope this story goes viral and someone sets up a gofundme page for her. She obviously needs some financial assistance as well as some compassion in her life.

So sad.

What a great idea. I think it's clear as well that the victim has not resumed a relationship with her abuser which just creates a cycle of abuse, leave, return etc. Not that THAT would justify not assisting. Victims need help, just like addictions, it can take many tries to quit. One just needs to keep trying.

This story just now seems to be hitting MSM and the public at large. I will be following it closely.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

For evey woman who doesn't stand her ground and testify --- a predator is set free to abuse again.

And for every 10 women that stand up at least a couple end up dead at the hands of their abuser.

She should risk her life because you or this judge says so?

I dont #ing think so.

Would i do it?

Oh ya, but im not scared of much, hispitals and spiders.

Personally, i would wait by the door with a bat, and beat the POS to death......but that is me not her.

You cant force her to risk her life because you say so.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

yea....

this is a global epidemic...just saw this 'type' of treatment just last week here...

mother is being kicked out of her home with her son....he's not even a teen yet....totally BS....

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

And for every 10 women that stand up at least a couple end up dead at the hands of their abuser.

She should do what needs to be done to prevent it from happening to someone else.

Women need to stand up for women.

Women need to fight for women.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

Many abused women are murdered after leaving their abuser. I don't think many people who have replied really understand being a victim of abuse. Testifying in person against your abuser is scary. That's why the law allows for depositions in stead of in person testimony. Many victims just want to get out of the situation and on with their lives. Unfortunately, with enough evidence, the DA can prosecute even though the victim no longer wants to press charges. Under the circumstances, the judge was out of line and was told by the victim she wouldn't show to court. The victim should have been appointed counsel that would accommodate her testimony in absentia.

This victim was completely abused by her husband who was accused of choking her and holding a knife to her throat and the judge added insult to injury. Here's a part of the transcript:

: Because it’s not just domestic, this has been for years. And I’m, I’m just, I tried to move on a couple months ago, and it’s just like, I don’t know. I moved out, I’ve tried to move on with my life. I tried to file for child support last June, and it took them an entire year to find him, I don’t understand why, and May 1, I was supposed to be getting my child support so I could go get an apartment and go get a job, and everything. And when he went to jail for two weeks, he lost his job, he lost everything, and I’m like homeless now. I’m living at my parents’ house. Everything my husband shut off. I had to sell everything I own. I’m just not in a good place right now.

JA: And violating your court order did not do anything for you. I find you in contempt of court. I hereby sentence you to three days in the county jail.

Read more at wonkette.com...

By the way, here's a thought for you all:

Women account for two out of three murder victims killed by an intimate partner. The number of women killed by an intimate partner fell from 43% in 1980 to 38% in 1995, but rose to 45% in 2008.

That's almost HALF of all women killed are killed by their intimate partner. Think about that for a minute.....or two.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

She should do what needs to be done to prevent it from happening to someone else.

I don't feel like women who are not emotionally, mentally, and intellectually able to stand up or fight for anyone, need to stand up or fight for me or my daughters.

I can accept that every situation and woman is unique.

edit on 12-10-2015 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
why couldn't her statement be taken by the judge and the counselors?.....remember, these laws regarding abuse were written by men, what's that tell you ladies?.....when are women going to march on Washington?...when just some of you get beaten?....20% get beaten?.....40% get beaten?.....also, when are women going to forcibly and in mass, tell lawmakers and the religious, to stay the hell out of their vaginas in regards to abortion?
edit on 12-10-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

I don't feel like women who are not emotionally, mentally, and intellectually able to to stand up or fight for anyone need to stand up or fight for me or my daughters.

I can accept that every situation and woman is unique.

you are correct, but, the laws aren't...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
why couldn't her statement be taken by the judge and the counselors?.....remember, these laws regarding abuse were written by men, what's that tell you ladies?.....when are women going to march on Washington?...when just some of you get beaten?....20% get beaten?.....40% get beaten?.....also, when are women going to forcibly and in mass, tell lawmakers and the religious, to stay the hell out of their vaginas in regards to abortion?

I appreciate your rallying cry. I hear it, too. But In case you haven't noticed, the U.S. is narrowly focused on one type of inequality to the exclusion of pretty much everyone else.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

You can risk your own safety and life, but it is not your place to force others to do so.

Your entire premise is wrong.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join