It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida judge slammed for jailing domestic violence victim

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
X?! I'm sorry
edit on 12-10-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So, I don't like what happened to this woman however I needed to point out that this may have helped her get services she wouldn't have been elgible for without the 3 days jail time.

I'm not sure if you caught the woman's stuation however she falls into the "hidden homeless" category.

edit on 12-10-2015 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text tottally winning

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: johnwick

Why didn't she testify?

Many places now arrest both (or more) parties in a domestic dispute.

Because she was afraid the SOB would come after her if she did.

Why the # would you arrest the person that got abused?

That is #ing retarded!

Women have to fight for women.

For evey woman who doesn't stand her ground and testify --- a predator is set free to abuse again.

And for every 10 women that stand up at least a couple end up dead at the hands of their abuser.

She should risk her life because you or this judge says so?

She should do what needs to be done to prevent it from happening to someone else.

Women need to stand up for women.

Women need to fight for women.

I don't feel like women who are not emotionally, mentally, and intellectually able to stand up or fight for anyone, need to stand up or fight for me or my daughters.

I can accept that every situation and woman is unique.

You assume I haven't been there.

I also have 2 grown daughters and a teen granddaughter.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

For evey woman who doesn't stand her ground and testify --- a predator is set free to abuse again.

And for every 10 women that stand up at least a couple end up dead at the hands of their abuser.

She should do what needs to be done to prevent it from happening to someone else.

I don't feel like women who are not emotionally, mentally, and intellectually able to stand up or fight for anyone, need to stand up or fight for me or my daughters.

I do?

How did I assume that?

I didn't. In fact, with the statistics being what they are, I can only assume you or a girl/woman you love has been a victim to violence perpetrated by a man.

Geez.

Same here, BTW. Me. My 15 year old daughter. It affects every woman when one in four females is sexually assaulted and abused in her lifetime, in the U.S.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

I do?

How did I assume that?

I didn't. In fact, with the statistics being what they are, I can only assume you or a girl/woman you love has been a victim to violence perpetrated by a man.

Geez.

Same here, BTW. Me. My 15 year old daughter. It affects every woman when one in four females is sexually assaulted and abused in her lifetime, in the U.S.

If women want to be empowered and not (still) be judged as the weaker sex - - - they have to stand up. They have to fight back.

Women have been given a pass because they are women. Is that what you really want?

If they don't stand up to predators - - that predator is going to go after someone else.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

I do?

How did I assume that?

Geez.

If women want to be empowered and not (still) be judged as the weaker sex - - - they have to stand up. They have to fight back.

Women have been given a pass because they are women. Is that what you really want?

If they don't stand up to predators - - that predator is going to go after someone else.

And if they want to stand up they can.

If they wnat to.

Not because those like you demanded they do.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

I do?

How did I assume that?

Geez.

And if they want to stand up they can.

If they wnat to.

Not because those like you demanded they do.

I can't demand anyone do anything.

But, as a woman, with 2 daughters, and a granddaughter I can, and do, have strong opinions on women being abused --- and not fighting back by every legal means possible --- to make sure the predator doesn't go after someone else.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'm sorry. My oldest daughter has CP and a borderline IQ. I do not expect her to stand up and fight for all women. Leave that to the women who can and have it in them to fight for all women.

Agree to disagree.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I'm sorry. My oldest daughter has CP and a borderline IQ. I do not expect her to stand up and fight for all women. Leave that to the women who can and have it in them to fight for all women.

Agree to disagree.

And my grandson I'm raising is high functioning autistic.

When did I target your daughter.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Agree to disagree.

And my grandson I'm raising is high functioning autistic.

When did I target your daughter.

You didn't target her, you just included her.

I wouldn't expect your grandson to stand up and fight for all men if he experienced abuse or rape.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I have nothing but contempt for the judicial system, as any and all should.
There is no justice available unless you have money to buy it.
Any system that has to coerce people to respect them by removing their freedom is by nature, reprehensible.
If you need force or weapons to convince everyone that what you are doing is right, I submit that perhaps you need to reevaluate wtf you are doing.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Sometimes the victims of domestic violence or abuse get so brainwashed by their abuser that they need some extra motivation or a kick in the pants to stand up for themselves.

It's sounds to me that this was what the judge was trying to do. Just some tough love.

Many are nursing their infants as I was at that age, and they wouldn't take a bottle from me or anyone else.

SO ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU EVER HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO TO A MOTHER AND BABY.

THE JUDGE SHOULD BE REMOVED.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Why didn't she testify?

That is #ing retarded!

I do?

How did I assume that?

Geez.

No, that's not at all what I said. I said I don't expect women who are not emotionally, mentally, and intellectually able to stand up or fight for anyone, to stand up or fight for me or my daughters.

I used my own daughter's emotional and intellectual deficiencies as an example. I don't believe every woman is the same. Some can stand and fight, some cannot. Who am I to judge them?

I don't know this woman who didn't testify. But she claimed to have extreme anxiety and a baby at home (I believe). I choose to give her the benefit of the doubt under the circumstances.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Annee, I think you're missing the point here. The victim could just as easily had her testimony deposed in a private setting, sparing her from being face to face with her husband. Also, if you read the article, he had previous domestic abuse charges.

She could have easily stood up for women everywhere by your standards in a PRIVATE DEPOSITION. The judge knew this, did not suggest it as an alternative prior to the trial and the woman obviously didn't have adequate council that was acting on her behalf.

Just today in the news:

Cops are looking to question the estranged husband of a 28-year-old woman whose mutilated remains were found in a Queens park, police sources said Tuesday.

Qing Qing Kiemde, of Queens, was found sprawled out on a dirt path inside Kissena Corridor Park in Flushing about 3:40 p.m. on Sunday. Her jugular was severed and she had been stabbed in the chest and stomach at least six times, police sources said. The stab wounds were so deep that her organs were exposed, according to cops.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
It happens more than you know. I used to work as a armed security guard at a place where they hid the victims of domestic abuse that had a viable threat against them. Sometimes there was only one of them at the facility. Several times I was called before my shift to be told that I wouldn't be needed. It didn't bother me because I got paid either way. When I went back I'd find that the person (they were not only women) that I was guarding had been put into "protective custody" until they testified.

Went ahead and bolded part of what you said, as all too often people think as DV as something perpetrated by a male, and forget that women can be violent as well. Additionally domestic violence is often not the black & white issue that's reported in the media, and as none of us were at the incident, on-scene or in the courtroom we do not know for sure if this judge has made an error. For anyone that wants to indulge in a knee-jerk reaction to anything that i've said, my advice is to start reading - there's around 500ish publications at this link for you to start with: web.csulb.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I apologize for not starting a new thread but I wanted to comment on the status of this issue as I just discovered it.

[www.dailykos.com...]

The Washington post reports a plea deal was reached earlier this year with a state agency that “polices” judges and Collins agreed to a public reprimand, but in July, the state Supreme Court issued an order stating a public reprimand was not a sufficient punishment. Collins was ordered to complete a courses in anger management and a course in domestic violence, even though as a judge, she had legal authority to jail the domestic violence.

5 min vid:

Collins was told her behavior was “intolerable.” Some excerpts from the public reprimand include:

•“You found the victim in contempt of court and send her to spend three days in jail even though the victim pleaded with you that she needed to take care of a one-year-old child”
•“The victim apologized for failing to appear, citing anxiety, depression and a desire to move on from contact with her abuser as reasons why she did not appear for trial, Meanwhile, Judge Collins, you raised your voice, used sarcasm, spoke harshly and interrupted the victim.”
•“We order you to complete and anger management course and attend a domestic violence course provided by the Florida Judicial College. We further ordered you appear hear today to be publicly reprimanded, on live television, so that the people of Florida know and understand that conduct such as yours will not be tolerated.
• Judge Collins, this is indeed a sad day for you, a sad day for the people of Florida and a sad day for the judiciary upon which our people depend for justice. I cannot emphasize enough how intolerable your behavior was in this case.”

This happened back in Sept 2016 but I just came across it. I think it's refreshing to see a judge's feet brought back down to earth to join the rest of humanity and would love to see more of it.
edit on 28-12-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Bumping to let people know that an injustice has been rectified.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Judge should get a few days in the jail she loves to send folks to.
edit on 29-12-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Most judges see common people as lowlife or things to abuse in their secret lodges. I rank judges right up there with bankers as some of the worst humans alive.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Most judges see common people as lowlife or things to abuse in their secret lodges. I rank judges right up there with bankers as some of the worst humans alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join