It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs more guns to prevent shootings. Lets learn from Switzerland.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
More guns makes us safer? Americans own 300% more guns per capita than the average modern industrialized nation. Guess how much more likely we are to die from gun violence. about 300%.

Again, Americans have a 3 in 100,000 chance of being killed by a gun. To put that in perspective, just being an American in our society where there are more guns than people, your chances of dying from gunfire is 3x greater than the chances of somebody who jumps out of a plane dying from a skydiving accident. Skydiving is considered risky because there is a 1 in 100,000 chance of an accident that will result in death. You'd have to jump out of a plane three times just to endanger yourself as much as you are endangered just by living in this society with all its gun worshipers and their weapons.

The problem is American culture, or the lack thereof.

There is no hope for this country. Too many of us revel in our violent, selfish ignorance and call that "freedom."

a reply to: frostie

edit on 11-10-2015 by SteveDriggs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Senator Orrin Hatch, Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution had this to say on the subject:

If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying - that they must sweep under the rug the southern attempts at gun control in the 1870-1910 period, the northeastern attempts in the 1920-1939 period, the attempts at both Federal and State levels in 1965-1976 - establishes the repeated, complete and inevitable failure of gun laws to control serious crime.

FBI statistics don't lie. People who don't like the facts do.

The gun control debate is a values issue. People often follow their hearts more than the data. This can be traumatic when someone comes along examining what had been a values issue with scientific methods. As the gun control people are absolutely sure they are correct, when confronted with a values based certainty matching that of the NRA, they freely use what would otherwise be considered immoral or unethical methods. One method is instead of trying to disprove the truth of an assertion, the arguer attacks the person making the assertions directly. That is invalid because the truth of an assertion does not depend on the arguer's perception of the person asserting it. Or, they misrepresent the information making it easier to attack, knock it down, then conclude that the original position has been demolished. This is invalid since the actual argument was never addressed.

Liberals dream of paradise in this country. A place where everyone is treated the same, regardless of where they come from, what color their skin is, what religion they follow. Where food, medical/healthcare is free, and only the police have guns. That place already exists. Its called Prison.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Agreed.

I'm not saying the shooter is highly individualistic but in a individualistic society people are more prone to being outcasts. In such a society one is expected to make his or her way without the help of others. Seeking help is a sign of weakness.

However in more collaborative societies there is more concern for the individual and it is more acceptable to seek the help of others during rough times.

I'm not necessarily speaking of Capitalism vs Communism but more in the way the people act in a society. If you look at the gender of these shooters they are all male. As men in America it is seen as a sign of weakness to speak about your feelings or seek help.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SergeantSmoke

See my second post in which I posted a Wikipedia article on Switzerland gun laws. I was mistaken they do allow ammunition to be at home but restrict military grade stuff (naturally). However to buy ammunition you have to provide a license and a bunch of documentation proving you are fit to purchase ammunition.

So to sum it up, Switzerland regulated gun and ammunition ownership thoroughly.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: asmall89

I could be mistaken but wasn't one of the main reasons for the 2nd amendment was in case the slaves at the time decided to revolt they could put them down, since it was cheaper to assemble a militia than a standing national army?

In truth it was probably for both reasons. However whats the difference between citizens & slaves if citizens can't protect themselves from the tyranny of their own government?
One of the ways abolitionists tried to free slaves was by arming them. Do you think the slaves would have been slaves for long if they were all armed, like the 2nd amendment supposedly promised all people the right to?

I'm not saying everyone in the US has the right to own a nuke or military grade machine gun, but people need to be able to have the power to protect themselves. Could it be better regulated? Sure, but I think the mental and societal issues play a larger role than the access to guns.
edit on 13-10-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
There is one detail however, regarding Switzerland, that must be considered.

Switzerland treats a bigger percentage of it's citizenry like humans instead of animals.

European countries are way more practiced in the art of " Herd Management".

Oh, and by the way....There is a 100% chance that everyone born is going to die, so in the end it means nothing anyway.

edit on 13-10-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: jghfv

edit on 13-10-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: edit

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: KonkyDong
Hi. This is my first post. All anti gunners are not going after the appropriate people on this issue.

Antigunners love to bring up stats regarding gun deaths, using them as a call to disarm law abiding americans. There is one very important thing to remember which is always left out-- government has been statistically proven by scientists to be responsible for the most human deaths in the 20th century-- most of which were done with guns.

You see my misguided friends, if you want to approach the disarmament of people responsible for violence and want to use real stats, we can accomodate you. The truth is, government should be disarmed first and foremost, effective immediately if your goal is to prevent bloodshed, not the american citizenry. Failure to focus on govt by you antigunners simply means you are frauds.

To all antigunners-- I would like to educate you about democide, AKA, "death by government." Source-- university of hawaii study on democide.

Humanity's past is littered with governments and political machines which turned on their own people with a ferocity few can fathom.  Perhaps you think it can't happen here. Please understand that the founders of this country thought otherwise and created our constitution with precisely this scenario in mind. Not only did they think it was possible, but to them, with history as a yardstick, it was INEVITABLE.

Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin-- all were leaders of governments that took great pleasure in the genocide and torture of their own people by the millions.  There is a term for this-- it is called Democide.  

Scholars estimate that in the last one hundred years alone, governments across the world, through their direct and INTENTIONAL actions, have slaughtered 250-300 million people.  This makes government statistically the greatest unnatural killer of people for the twentieth century.  Again, this is Democide--INTENTIONAL MURDER of, AKA DEATH BY GOVERNMENT.  Also consider that this statistic does NOT include deaths in battles or wars.

Research democide and review these startling truths for yourself.  The 21st century has barely started, but already governments have claimed the lives of many.

Now to all anti gunners, you have a choice: stop using stats regarding gun deaths or use them but go after the appropriate target-- government, and not the american people. Again, failure to do so means either you are not capable of basic analytical thought proceses or that you are frauds.

Democide stats show how important it is for the citizenry to be able to defend themselves with guns while at the same time showing that it is govt that should be disarmed immediately.

Stats from university of hawaii, a leading authority on democide. Rhetorical points are my own.

What you antigunners are doing is asking law abiding americans (they are the only ones who follow laws) to make govt/police the only ones able to be armed... GOVT ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MOST UNNATURAL BLOODSHED ON PLANET EARTH... and are totally corrupt. They are rotten to the core.

Leaving guns only in their hands is a proposition only an insane individual could get behind, especially when using history as a yardstick.

I thought i would re post since every anti gunner in the thread ignored this information.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join