It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest unanswered Question of all time, What is Truth?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

So I take it you're just skipping all that scripture I just posted that demonstrates the Gospel's say Jesus very much supported adherence to the Old Law and thus religion.
edit on 5-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

The Lord Jesus Christ is NOT a religion...

He is God.

Okay, fine. He's god lol

You didn't answer my question.

You believe in Jesus, god, and the Bible. That's what religious people believe in. So how are you different from religious people?? It seems to me you believe in the same thing Christians do. If I am not mistaken Christianity is a religion...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

We can argue semantics til the cows come home...

We are talking about two different things.

I suspect that your definition of the word "religion" and mine are two entirely different things.

I believe the etymology of the word religion is “to reconnect”.

The root meaning for the word means to "reconnect with God" (from the original Latin).

Religio means “to go within” i.e. “to know and obey” God.

The agenda behind false religion is to keep you disconnected from God.

Which also directly relates to the sig quote below BTW...

“Religion, from religare, signifies to tie or bind, because by true religion the soul is tied or bound, as it were, to God and His service.”

Museum of Antiquity A Description of Ancient Life

“The word religion comes from the word "religare" -- to bind fast, to connect.”
religare - definition and meaning

"...the etymological root of religion is the Latin religare - which means 'to tie, to fasten, to bind' "

GreenCine Daily: SFIFF, 4/27

edit on 5-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

That's fair I suppose. Semantics that is.

Of course official definitions and colloquial understanding is on my side.

Most of the world understands what religion means. No need to focus on this any longer.

Let's address my quotes from scripture. It sure seems like Jesus supported the established "religion" of the time. Did you read the verses I posted?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
It seems to me you believe in the same thing Christians do. If I am not mistaken Christianity is a religion...

That depends on WHICH Christianity you are referring to...

There is a true Christianity as well as a false one.

The false has been infiltrated which the reason that today's church bares so little resemblance to what we see in the book of acts.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

What the hell.

You believe in Jesus Christ, god, and the Bible.

That's the defining factor of Christendom!

We can discuss Christian denominations and their differences if you want friend, but thus far you haven't expressed any differences!! lol

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The truth is.. bah nevermind. Hail Satan.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
Of course official definitions and colloquial understanding is on my side.

Never been a fan of anything 'official' ...

Especially definitions.

Rewriting language to manipulate peoples thoughts is a known propaganda tool...

See: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If Jesus supported the established religion of the time, why did they crucify Him?

If you're thinking that He was a Jewish rabbi, I would disagree completely.

This post goes into more depth on both of these topics...

Gonna have to bail, it's almost 3AM here...

edit on 5-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

The truth is - > what is.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Figures don't lie but liers sometimes figure . Numbers can be generally true as well but may lack certain details .1 loaf of bread may have many slices .Plus it would seem that procedures with numbers matter in order to get to the True truth of the matter .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
A world leader once asked this very question of one of the simplest men that every lived all because that man said, "To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

What Sayest ye of ATS?

What is Truth?

Inhale slowly, feel the movement of breath enter your nostrils. Now exhale slowly, feel the movement of breath exit your nostrils. Did you notice the moments pause; that moment of complete stillness between inhalation and exhalation? That is ultimate truth.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Mathematics is the only truth.

I disagree. mathematics are currently the most reliable means of arriving at veracity. not the same as "the only truth".

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Truth is perspective, laced with belief and spiced with life experience.

In other words, truth is subjective for the individual. To have objective truth one must remove the individual: and one the individual is removed there is truth...but no witnesses. Which begs the question: If there are no witnesses to truth, is that truth true?
edit on 5-10-2015 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Jesus said: ‘I AM the truth’...

"Truth is not a teaching, truth is a person." ~ Jan Sjoerd Pasterkamp

Who is that white bearded guy in the video?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I believe the etymology of the word religion is “to reconnect”. The root meaning for the word means to "reconnect with God" (from the original Latin).

You are within your rights to believe what you want - but it doesn't make it historically accurate

forward.com...

, Augustine, preferred this etymology to Cicero’s while suggesting yet another possibility: re-eligere, “to choose again,” religion being the recovery of the link with God that sin has sundered. It may be that Lactantius and Augustine rejected Cicero’s etymology because it made religio seem too close to such Jewish terms as torah, mishnah and talmud, all Hebrew words having to do with teaching and studying. Since unlike the practice of Judaism, the Christian religion, as they saw it, was a matter of binding faith and commitment rather than of accumulated knowledge, the religare etymology may have appealed to them for the opposite reason than that proposed by Rappaport: as a way of distancing Christianity from Jewish concepts rather than of adopting them.

I'll see you're link and raise you two. Its telling that Augustine the Apologist would push this

en.wikipedia.org...

According to his contemporary, Jerome, Augustine "established anew the ancient Faith."[7] In his early years, he was heavily influenced by Manichaeism and afterward by the neo-Platonism of Plotinus. After his baptism and conversion to Christianity in 387, Augustine developed his own approach to philosophy and theology, accommodating a variety of methods and perspectives.[8] Believing that the grace of Christ was indispensable to human freedom, he helped formulate the doctrine of original sin and made seminal contributions to the development of just war theory.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

What is it that is seeing and hearing? The answer may be 'I am'.
Without the 'I am' which is seeing and knowing there can be nothing appearing to exist.
The truth is hidden in plain sight - in the seeing.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

What is Truth?

That question was cynically posed to Jesus by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate. He was not interested in an answer, and Jesus did not give him one. Perhaps Pilate viewed truth as too elusive to grasp.—John 18:38.

Something to consider: agnosticism, or the philosophy of 'making your own truth' sometimes supported by the easy to agree with and tickling or pleasing to the ears slogan "believing in yourself" and the phrase "we don't know yet" (or 'it's unclear', a mystery) when used as a cop-out when asked for a reason or evidence to believe an earlier claim, statement or expression of a philosophy/idea about reality.

The slogan I mentioned is also intended to appeal to your pride. Oh and since I wasn't sure if I should mention this before until I read it, the philosophies, slogans and phrases I mentioned above come in variations, quoting Windword from this thread with possibly the same attitude as Pontius Pilatus towards that which is true:

...Everyone bears witness to their own truth.

As a play on your quotation of Jesus and demonstrating the following from the article below:

Three 16th-Century Truth Seekers—What Did They Find?

Pilate, of course, was not really seeking the truth. If anything, his question revealed his skeptical or cynical attitude. Apparently, to Pilate truth was whatever a person might choose or was taught to believe; there was really no way to determine what is truth. Many today feel the same way.

Note that there's an audio version of that article at the top of the page if you don't like reading or if you want to run it in the background as you're making comments on ATS for example.
edit on 3-4-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Most people who follow Pontius Pilatus' cynical way of thinking about the "truth" do not realize the disdainful attitude towards truth they are demonstrating by expressing these views that were described in the 2nd article as:

to Pilate truth was whatever a person might choose ... to believe

and in the first article as:

Perhaps Pilate viewed truth as too elusive to grasp.

There are quite a few different ways to describe, express and demonstrate that way of thinking without even mentioning the word "truth".

This disdainful attitude toward truth is shared by many today, including religious leaders, educators, and politicians. They hold that truth—especially moral and spiritual truth—is not absolute but relative and ever changing. This, of course, implies that people can determine for themselves what is right and what is wrong. (Isaiah 5:20, 21) It also allows people to reject as out-of-date the values and moral standards held by past generations.

The statement that prompted Pilate’s question is worth noting. Jesus had said: “For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth.” (John 18:37) Truth to Jesus was no vague, incomprehensible concept. He promised his disciples: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”—John 8:32.

Where can such truth be found? On one occasion, Jesus said in prayer to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) The Bible, written under divine inspiration, reveals truth that provides both reliable guidance and a sure hope for the future—everlasting life.—2 Timothy 3:15-17.

Pilate indifferently rejected the opportunity to learn such truth. What about you?

“What Is Truth?”

The door is still open to really 'believe in yourself' and to avoid being just another statistic in the demonstration of Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NW):

What has been is what will be,

And what has been done will be done again;

There is nothing new under the sun.

Or being one of the ones that are...

...using concepts borrowed from ancient philosophers in order to explain their beliefs.

Source: One Myth Leads to Another
edit on 24-4-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This way of thinking is also very conducive for selling and promoting myths.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

He is only god to those that believe. He isn't my god or the god of billions of others. He even denied being god which has been brought up in other threads but I'll state one if the scriptures again

Mr 10:18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join