It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The difference between a FIREARM and a WEAPON

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
A firearm usually refers to a long gun or handgun/pistol.

A weapon is something, usually an object, used to inflict harm on an individual or group.

The person you witnessed purchasing a "weapon" from a gun shop for example, was purchasing a FIREARM. Not a weapon.

If that person decides to go shoot up their neighborhood a week later, the firearm is now a weapon as well.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

You don't call a pair of scissors your child uses in art class a weapon, simply because they could be used to stab a bunch of kids. I understand a gun has far more potential danger than scissors, but I hope you see my point here. It feels like every day I see at least one or two people refer to guns in general as weapons, and that is simply incorrect and illogical.

Much love and good vibes!!

P.s. Never let your guard down if there are scissors afoot....
edit on 3-10-2015 by seaswine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

You don't call a pair of scissors your child uses in art class a weapon, simply because they could be used to stab a bunch of kids.

No,No.

They would be called 'assault' scissors.

Excuse me a second I have to do some maintenance on my 'assault' club, and make it federal compliant.

It's scaring the neighbors.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Nah, they're only "assault" scissors if they handles are flashy black ones.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

You don't call a pair of scissors your child uses in art class a weapon, simply because they could be used to stab a bunch of kids.

No,No.

They would be called 'assault' scissors.

Excuse me a second I have to do some maintenance on my 'assault' club, and make it federal compliant.

It's scaring the neighbors.

I saw a pair of scissors that were black.
I am pretty sure they were assault scissors. Scared the crap out of me .

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Guns or whatever people want to call them are built only to kill things, scissors can be used to kill but there made to cut stuff.

Great rant lol.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
#scissorsmatter

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I am sharpening my pencil as we post...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

No.

Like any tool it depends on the USER.

Anything can be used for either good or ill purposes.

I don't fight for gun rights to take a life.

I fight for gun rights to SAVE a life.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think to say they are made only for killing is a bit off. I have quite the collection and haven't used any firearm to kill something for over 5 years. The last thing I killed was a deer that I butchered and had my uncle tan the hide so I could make use of that too. I've since stopped hunting because in my area the whitetail population is declining rapidly, and even if I use every part of the animal, I still think it wrong to go after a declining population.

So in short, you are mistaken. I have countless enjoyable hours target shooting and teaching people I meet basic gun rules that EVERYONE should know, as well as basic shooting technique.

I'd be happy to show you the ways in which guns are not solely used for killing....

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Good point!
A murderer isn't a murderer until he/she has murdered.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yea no guns are built to kill, the rest is semantics, but coming from you it just Proves my point.
edit on 3-10-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

In short guns are made to kill, scissors arent,' not really that hard.

I live in bear and cougar country, and half my family are police officers, so thanks for trying to educate me on guns lol.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Then mine must be defective, seeing as it hasn't killed anything.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Perhaps the confusion comes from the military. When my husband was in the Army, they were not allowed to call their rifle anything but a rifle or a weapon...or whatever proper name they gave them when they were first issued. It was completely different for my ex when he was in the Air Force years before that. I use the word "weapon" more often than not to this day because it's what I am accustomed to. You get humiliated enough times for calling a rifle a "gun" or a "firearm", you learn to stop calling it that.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Did you have a point, unless you bought your gun to cut your steak, or paint your house you might need to go read why guns are made.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I see you are very territorial of your opinions which is fine by me. Just wish you'd approach with a more open mind.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Thought my point was pretty easy to grasp.

In the right hands a gun is a tool, in the wrong hands it's a weapon.
edit on 3-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Makes sense. If you're in the military, actively on duty, your rifle is a weapon.

I can't understand why someone would shame you for calling a rifle in someone's gun cabinet a firearm though ..

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I own a hammer but i Never used it yet, its made to hit nails or take them out, the hammer was still made to hit nails.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Guns where made to kill, whatever you want to call it good for you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join