It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The difference between a FIREARM and a WEAPON

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Tools are tools, no more no less.
I work in a shop where we have tools for most occasions. Some of our tools use the same tech as firearms.

I have shot guns of various caliber in the past. I have never killed anything using a conventional firearm. With an air rifle I have killed bullfrogs for the land owner to have frog legs.

Guns are not made to kill, guns are made as tools. In my circle I've seen one guy cut his thumb off with a saw and no one hurt themselves with guns.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

a reply to: tigertatzen

Makes sense. If you're in the military, actively on duty, your rifle is a weapon.

I can't understand why someone would shame you for calling a rifle in someone's gun cabinet a firearm though ..

No, I meant while he was still in the Army...not like in someone's gun cabinet. It's just instinctive for me to call any gun a weapon because of that...just like the "five-finger point"...I do that too, to this day....and I was never actually in the military myself. I'm sure it sounds pretty silly, but it's the truth.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Agreed..anything can be a "weapon". We had a woman here that killed her friend with a crockpot. A CROCKPOT!

To modify a phrase..."Weapons dont kill people...PEOPLE kill people".

PS Of note: I have in Michigan a CPL license (Concealed Pistol License)...they changed its heading a while back from concealed "WEAPON"...because anything can be used as one.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Agreed..anything can be a "weapon". We had a woman here that killed her friend with a crockpot. A CROCKPOT!

To modify a phrase..."Weapons dont kill people...PEOPLE kill people".

PS Of note: I have in Michigan a CPL license (Concealed Pistol License)...they changed its heading a while back from concealed "WEAPON"...because anything can be used as one.

I knew a guy who beat the crap out of another guy with a Swingline stapler....his injuries were severe. Anything can be used as a weapon...even words. If someone wants to hurt another person badly enough, they'll find a method.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Guns where built for one thing, you can call it what ever you want, it dosent change why guns where built.

Ill repeat again what i said earlier, i own a hammer but ive never used it to hit a nail yet, its still a hammer, it wont cut my steak , wont paint my house, i could use it to make holes in my wall, or as a pry bar, its still a hammer do, and it was madfe to hit nails.

On top of it, if i drop it on my toes it might brake them, its still made to hit nails.
edit on 3-10-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Of course people kill people, Gun just makes it easier to wipe out a lot in short amount of time.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I can agree to a degree. Firearms were originally designed as weapons. However, things change.

Since the invention of the gun, we've found other uses, like competitive shooting. Companies like Anschutz manufacture 22 caliber rifles that cost THOUSANDS. You cannot tell me a $3000 22 (without add-ons) was "made for killing". It was made for a competitor of a sport.

Not ALL guns are weapons.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

The concept of a gun is to kill, you can add flowers to it, or cool lights, and use it for something else, its still a inanimate object made to kill.

Sorry im not trying to pick on you, im just pig headed most of the time, lets agree to disagree.

Have a rum and coke on me

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

I own a hammer but i Never used it yet, its made to hit nails or take them out, the hammer was still made to hit nails.

Why buy the hammer?

I bought a gun hoping I'd never need to use it, but I want to have it just in case.

It's called pragmatism.

Your analogy makes no sense.

On top of it, if i drop it on my toes it might brake them, its still made to hit nails.

User error.

edit on 4-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Cause i build things lol, again did you have a point, guns where invented and are produced to do one thing, kill things.

You can used it for what ever you want but it does not change why it was built.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Cause i build things lol

And you haven't used your hammer? Seems like an unnecessary purchase.

Lol is right.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Oh so your trying comedy, keep on telling yourself your gun is a tool to do things lol, ill use real tools to do my things.

Oh and if you new tools, the real ones, certain hammers are specialized for certain jobs, i wont get into it, it might hard for you to understand.

Keep working on that comedy of yours, it needs polishing

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

And you keep building things, and doing whatever else you want to do.

As long as you're not hurting anyone, I couldn't care less.

Your business is your business. So is mine.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Ok, thanks for that, now about guns behing tools, sorry for behing so pig headed at times, we can at least agree to disagree.

Cheers

Oh and i am not against guns or rifles, i do not own any myself, but family members and most of my neighbors own them.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
essentially agree with all firearms are guns and tools made to fire projectiles using explosives usually fired by a human or a computer system and a weapon is made out of virtually anything designed to injure to kill even a remote control for the television could be an improvised club to throwing stones a weapon is a tool or object designed to inflict damage or death a firearm hence name "fire - explosive or burning substance - arm - tool i.e barrel or a gun"

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Cheers bud.

I respect your opinion and most of all your right to have an opinion.

Please respect my rights equally.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I hate to be that guy but...

Dictionary.com

firearm
[fahyuh r-ahrm]
noun
a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder.

Merriam-Webster

Full Definition of FIREARM

: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms

TheFreeDictionary.com

firearm
Also found in: Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
fire·arm (fīr′ärm′)
n.
A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

Law.cornell.edu

The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Deny Ignorance and all that.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I bet I could drive a nail with a firearm...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Guns where built for one thing, you can call it what ever you want, it dosent change why guns where built.

Ill repeat again what i said earlier, i own a hammer but ive never used it to hit a nail yet, its still a hammer, it wont cut my steak , wont paint my house, i could use it to make holes in my wall, or as a pry bar, its still a hammer do, and it was madfe to hit nails.

(buzzer)

Incorrect! Hammers are made for many uses, not just hitting "nails". Hammers are used for shaping metals. Blacksmiths have used hammers for centuries and a blacksmith likely never even hit a nail unless he was actually making a nail. Hammers are used for breaking concrete. Hammers are used for working leather. Hammers have been used for thousands of years as "weapons" even. In fact, the hammer was the 'weapon' of choice during medieval times owing to the lack of availability of swords.

Much like a hammer, firearms are designed to perform a variety of functions. Killing/injuring people is only one of these functions. Hammers date as far back as the stone age and guess what...they were used as weapons.

There are so many different types of hammers that to refer to an object as just a "hammer" isn't even technically correct. There are framing hammers, jack hammers, mallets, steam hammers, water hammers, forging hammers, ballpene hammers...and the list goes on.

A "weapon" by its very definition is merely an 'extension of one's arm'. A hammer, a sword, a spear and even a firearm fall into the category of a "weapon". A bomb is a weapon...a pressure cooker can be a weapon. Chemicals can be weapons. Even an ideological concept can be a weapon, terrorism would be a good example here, as would torture. Lots of things are weapons!

People would do well to understand firearms are only a very small subset of a much broader set of "weapons".
edit on 10/4/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
You don't call a pair of scissors your child uses in art class a weapon, simply because they could be used to stab a bunch of kids.

Scissors, knives, rope, wire, rocks, even toasters.... I could go on and on. All of these items can be used to kill people, and are potential weapons. But using a gun to cut paper, hang a kayak, bind a fence, line your driveway or toast your bread, is going to be unsuccessful (or at least VERY cumbersome and sloppy).

Guns are made to be used as weapons. Not to cut paper. If someone wants to kill a bunch of people, they don't think... "Hmmm... should I use rocks, scissors, toasters or a gun?"

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point and I support firearm ownership, but I think your comparison of guns to scissors is disingenuous.

<< 1    3 >>

join