It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rains not seen for 200 YEARS: Two dead, 22million on flood watch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hurricane Joaquin is raising cane on the U.S. East Coast.

Record rainfall already in Charleston South Carolina.

Two deaths reported also, and a missing ship somewhere in the ocean.

This thing could be big damage.

Stories and pictures .....
Rains not seen for 200 YEARS: Two dead, 22million on flood watch and New Jersey homes already consumed by high tides in bombardment of weekend storms dubbed a 'slow-motion disaster'

Historic Flooding in South Carolina Expected

National Weather Service spokesman called the storms hitting the East Coast a 'once-in-200-years rainfall event'

Around 22million Americans are on 'flood watch' on the East Coast

Parts of North and South Carolina have had up to 12 inches of rain

Two deaths in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and Spartanburg, South Carolina have been linked to the storms

One woman was hit by a falling tree while another drowned in her car

Flood watches and warnings also are in effect in Delaware and parts of New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia

The search continues for 33 crew - 28 Americans and five Poles - on board a ship that went missing near the Bahamas during Hurricane Joaquin

Joaquin remains a Category 3 hurricane and is speeding up as it moves away from the Bahamas

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It's Gods wrath raining down on all the reprobates and long past time for repentance...

It's a crying shame some of the innocent are going to suffer along with the fornicators and idolaters.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's not the hurricane causing the rain....it's a Southeast Low west of Joaquin. This front will actually steer the hurricane further east, deflecting it from the east coast of the US.

www.americanwx.com...

...and on pg.9
hawkeye_wx, on 02 Oct 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:
The GFS and Euro both saw the upper level disturbance dropping in from the north Atlantic and passing west around Bermuda. The American models, et al, just never saw the southwest track like the Euro did. On the American models Joaquin was able to lift north away from the Bahamas sooner(was forecasted to happen yesterday), which allowed the storm to get pulled in by the southeast US low just before the Bermuda weakness arrived to supply the escape route. The Euro consistently dove Joaquin sw into the Bahamas, which delayed the turn north and allowed the weakness to move in first and open the door out to sea. This appears to be a day 1-3 failure of the American models vs the Euro, not a medium to long range failure.

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

edit on 3-10-2015 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Not sure what religion or politics have to do with a hurricane but okay.

I hope the people listened to the advanced warnings and are prepared.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
Not sure what religion or politics have to do with a hurricane but okay.

I hope the people listened to the advanced warnings and are prepared.

Mother nature does not discriminate!

For those on the East coast? I hope you prepared in advance.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I always chuckle inside whenever I hear MSM sqwaking about "2 dead" to attempt to get the emotional cinch on a story....

So, two seconds went by?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have no idea where the Daily Mail got that hurricane track showing Joaquin hitting the US coast but it's not accurate.
www.weather.com...

www.americanwx.com...
Has been following this since the beginning and is using both the american models & euro models as well as info from the storm chasers out of Florida with real time info, before the MSN has had it.

www.nbcnews.com...

"This stretch of the East Coast from Charleston to Washington, D.C., is expected to be deluged as a result of a weather pattern called a "Rex Block," which is forecast to bring heavy rain to the area's already-oversaturated grounds.

This "powerful" low-pressure system over the southeast is moving slowly northeast, carrying heavy rainfall and expectations for high tides, the NWS said."

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
the el nino is taking affect and they said it would so it shouldn,t be a surprise

edition.cnn.com...

people may want to say gods wrath etc but we all know its a natural accurance that happens over time so no conspiracy on this atall.

dead link so i noticed so heres another.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
It's not the hurricane causing the rain....it's a Southeast Low west of Joaquin. This front will actually steer the hurricane further east, deflecting it from the east coast of the US.

Exactly what I was thinking....Joaquin's nowhere near there and is moving the opposite direction. Typical sensationalism by DM. I'd love to see how they came up with this 1 in 200 yr figure.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
It's Gods wrath raining down on all the reprobates and long past time for repentance...

It's a crying shame some of the innocent are going to suffer along with the fornicators and idolaters.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So an "off topic" post gets removed but the above remains and this dribble is ON topic how?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here's a good as any explanation of what's happening.
Ironically the wind is going to also pile-drive water into the western shores of Lake Erie & Lake Michigan causing beach erosion there as well.

www.weather.com...

"Meteorology 101: The Stubborn Setup
The setup for this coastal mess is a case of persistence and a blocked atmosphere.

Strong surface high pressure is anchored over eastern Canada, as the tangled web of non-tropical surface low pressure near the Southeast coast and Hurricane Joaquin dominate farther south.

Differences in pressure drive winds. The greater the pressure difference, the greater the winds.

Surface setup for coastal flooding/beach erosion event. Generally higher surface pressure is shaded in blue, lower pressure in red. Position of Hurricane Joaquin is a model forecast, and does not constitute an official forecast position by either the National Hurricane Center or The Weather Channel.
Strong winds are one major factor in generating large ocean waves. Another is the distance that winds of a similar direction travel over water, known as the "fetch."

Numerical forecast models suggest east to northeast winds reaching the Mid-Atlantic Seaboard during the event may travel an impressive distance of roughly 900 miles from off the southeast Newfoundland coast.

The dominant factor, in this case, is the pattern's longevity. Why is it lasting so long?

High pressure aloft over the north Atlantic Ocean, and a reinforcement of high pressure aloft that will push in from eastern Canada, is blocking the normal west-to-east progression of weather systems, forcing low pressure aloft to simply sit and spin, if you will, over the southeastern U.S.

Only when the block releases next week will the stubborn onshore winds relent."

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
the rain was absent for over 3 hours on Saturday from 3-6 PM here n the myrtle beach coast

last night there were many 10 minute rain squalls with 20 minute pauses between

the flooding MUST be coming because of the river or drainage channels being overwhelmed over vast areas of rain collection,,, but my yard just ain't saturated as yet
and no storm drains are being overwhelmed as yet either

my roof don't leak yet and the various cats ain't hunkering down in the house either---they find places to poop/pee in the yard - thk gawd

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You know it gets me all the time how lately every time nature do its thing, is considered a record and something never seen.

This sensationalism needs to stop.

It rains, yes it does, it floods yes it does since earth is been around, that is why we are call the blue planet and the water planet, what is no been around is the increasing amount of people living in clusters.

Nature has become humanity inconvenient truth

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Well is been raining in GA for two or three weeks already, actually I think we have a very wet summer, my roof is starting to leak first in the second floor bathroom skylight, now the kitchen is leaking too.

Time for a new roof.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Why do people lose their minds over a hurricane now a days?

I grew up in Florida, couple hurricanes a year, couple ts, or td a year we never really got worked up over it...

Now it seems like its the end of the world every time a system sniffs getting stronger..

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'm from the Caribbean and the same thing goes for us, we are used to hurricanes, in the last few years is been a trend with the weather channel specially since it became a private run entity, everything linked to nature and natural forces is been drilled as "never before" "record breaking" and "clima change, is so obvious that people need to be blind and deaf no to notices how this trend about weather is becoming a drill.

edit on 3-10-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Well is been raining in GA for two or three weeks already, actually I think we have a very wet summer, my roof is starting to leak first in the second floor bathroom skylight, now the kitchen is leaking too.

Time for a new roof.

wow--- a cooler head.... its not mystical happenings.... the practical world says to get new roofing OR at least do a 'stop-gap ' measure by caulking that skylight... silicone at the top where fasteners are holding the skylight
OR roof asphalt around the skylight framing at the base where the roofing shingles or flashing is present...
go-save-a-bundle-my-friend

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The roof is 24 years old, the skylight is beyond repair, we have tried about everything, while we can take care of the minor leaks here and there as we do have two attics that skylight is a pain in the butt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join