It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside the NRA's Money - $176 Million From Members, Record 5 Million Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It is good that someone finally did this. I am so sick of hearing that the NRA is primarily funded by Manufacturers and not Members and that members only donate a small amount to the fight to keep their rights. Yes, it is CNN so we don't have to hear about a conservative biased source.

money.cnn.com...

edit on 3-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Who gives money to the NRA ?

I never have, and never will.

Same reason I don't give money to politicians.

The best 'lobbyists' for the people ?

Is the people themselves.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This should be interesting.

It always just kills me when the anti-gun crowd says that the NRA did this or that. Or, the NRA feels this way or that on a particular issue. The NRA is made up of members like me and millions of other like minded people. If we didn't agree with the "mystical, mysterious" NRA, there wouldn't be an NRA.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Love weapons think everyone in America should have a cell phone and a gun on them. Not an nra member myself but I understand that gun owners should have a lobby group like everyone else. I did find it funny that anti gunners like to blame manufacturers but it's actual members putting up money.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Ha!

I think this is the first thread with NRA in the title that didn't become a lighting rod to the anti-gun crowd to debate.

I assume it is because facts conflict with their story line.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The NRA is a very lame organization because they actually support some legislation AGAINST gun rights. GOA is much better and they would never support legislation against gun rights. I'm not sure if someone is throwing away their money given to the NRA, but I know GOA is much better.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The Nra is effective because they communicate with their members, and members have a history of voicing their displeasure by voting people out.

Sure money is spent... But their most effective weapon is their members.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward

The NRA is a very lame organization because they actually support some legislation AGAINST gun rights. GOA is much better and they would never support legislation against gun rights. I'm not sure if someone is throwing away their money given to the NRA, but I know GOA is much better.

Meh, so do I. Background checks should occur, they should be better, and it should be a little more of a chore for me to go 5 AR-15s. Walking into a gun store and walking out with an AK and 500 rounds of ammo in five minutes feels a bit absurd. I should also be able to run a background check on someone if I'm selling a gun without it being a PITA.

I'm in a shall issue concealed carry state. I think it's a bit bizarre that with some fingerprints, a clean background and $50 people are allowed to carry a handgun without proving they have any sort of competence. It's harder to get a driver's license, and if you consider how terrible most drivers are, that's frightening.

There are common sense gun laws, even though that term has become synonymous with retarded gun laws. I don't think it's unreasonable to keep violent felons from owning guns, or restrict certain types of arms, or ensure that the system in place to check if someone is batcrap crazy actually has funding.

I have a ton of pistols, a few rifles (including an AR and AK) shotguns and a CPL. I'm not for over regulation, but I am for SMART regulation. I wouldn't be at all opposed to making people pass at least a written test before they get their CPL.

I've found that being 100% on either side seems to be something many default to, but that it's usually unreasonable. I consider myself very pro-gun, but also understanding that not everyone is mentally stable enough to own one, that some people are crap weasels, and that some restrictions should very much be in place.

I just joined the NRA!

Been meaning to do that for a LONG time. If anyone else is interested it's $25 off right now for the 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year memberships.
edit on 0320151020151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I not only give to The NRA, but am a proud member, and, I also shoot at a NRA range. No reports of injury or fatalities in 20+ years

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Not being a smartarse but it sounds like your range is safer than your schools. That's pretty twisted. But I guess it shows that sane people with a education in firearms don't do the damage. Its the whackos you gotta watch out for....
edit on 4-10-2015 by generalspecific because: thinking out loud

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
In the article it says that a great deal of the money from members comes from membership fees NOT donations as you suggested in your post. That's a pretty important distinction. Membership fees are mandatory and it sounds like they've been increasing. Obviously donations would be voluntary. The article doesn't give a complete break down of the NRA's income stream so it still leaves people guessing. I do like their insurance in case of death or dismemberment :-)

top topics

join