It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about pregnancy tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
In the past few weeks, I've discovered that online forums dedicated to conception and pregnancy are almost entirely populated by complete morons. They go repeating the instructions off of pregnancy tests like it's some new, divine revelation, and asking idiot questions like, "My toe hurts... am I pregnant?" They make the average chem trail nut look like DaVinci by comparison.

My question for the ats community is why would a pregnancy test change positive after the test time limit? I'm not talking about a grey evaporation line. I'm talking about a clear pink positive result showing up an hour late. Why would it change color if there is no hgc present?

Yes, I know such tests are invalid. I'm just curious about the chemistry of it.

P.S. First person who mentions "baby dust" loses all their stars and flags.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I think the cross is the Evaporation Line. A line that appears as the urine evaporates.

An evaporation line is just what it sounds like -- a line caused by evaporation of your urine. Sometimes the evaporation line highlights the antibody strip and causes it to look faintly positive, and sometimes the second line looks gray or like an indentation. These results should not be considered positive even if they look like a "real" positive result an hour later.

Oh, and.. Baby Dust! (Not sure what that is, but it sounds sweet.)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Never had one change from negative to positive an hour later. With my first it was a very faint line, but visible. Just got darker as the minutes past. I'm okay with people saying b**y d**t...so long as no one sends any of that crap my way.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Stars and flags all gone, B.H.
Thanks for the link. But why would it change color? The test is based on a chemical reaction, so I don't understand how evaporation alone could do that.

Hydrochloric acid makes carbonate rocks fizz. Litmus paper changes color appropriate for ph. These things don't spontaneously change based on time limit. So how can the line change to positive without a chemical reaction?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

I have had two negatives change to positive after an hour or so in the past week. Never happened before, not even when I was knocked up with my daughter.

Not worried about it, just curious.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Be sure to use the 1st urine sample in the a.m. also the digital are more precise. The negative can turn to pos and visa versa overnight.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I think I'd check with the doc. It might be a positive.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ha! Yes, the "ttc" community is a bit crazy. I think women start to lose it a bit when something they thought would be easy (because many had spent lots of effort and money to avoid pregnancy for years) turns out to be hard. The desire to have a baby and the frustration of months and possibly years of no success, or heartbreaking losses, can cause even the brightest and most well grounded woman to squint at a peestick for hours... And then post pictures of it online in case any of the other crazies can see a line.

Anyhoo. for your question..,I don't know why it happens - if there can be something chemically wrong with the test or what. I do know that Lh and hcg are similar and ovulation tests (which test for Lh) can register positive when pregnant. So maaaaybe the reverse could happen? Maybe both tests would show positive when you are just having an Lh surge? Just an uneducated guess.

I will tell you this, though. The only time I've had a positive test after the time limit (not evap looking... Just a faint positive), I have been pregnant! They started showing up quicker and darker over the course of a couple of days.

So wait a day or two and test again. It could be the very early stages of pregnancy.

I'll respectfully withhold the baby dust and other ultra cheesy well wishes from the ttc corners of the Internet. (But... Seriously.... Enjoy this sprinkling of infant particles.)

(Ew.)
edit on 3-10-2015 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I think its better to ask the doctor and confirm the pregnancy test, we normally diagnose with missing periods and usually go to the doctor consultation, even for irregular menstrual cycle consulting with the doctor is important.

new topics

top topics

join