It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Proposes Asteroid and Volcanic Eruptions Both Caused Dinosaur Extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ok most if not all have heard or read about the asteroid that maybe killed off the dinosaurs around 65 +million years ago. People like simple cause and effect answers about many things that are not quite that straight forward. According to the article and latest findings within 50k years of the impact the Deccan traps of India spewed enough lava to cover the entire continental united states to a depth of 600 feet.. Man what a weenie roast that would have been ! click link for full article and video..

In the study, published in the journal Science, Geologists examined the timing of the already well-researched volcanic activity in the Deccan Traps in western India, and found that those eruptions occurred within 50,000 years of the asteroid hit—a pretty narrow window in geologic time. The seismic punch of the impact may have accelerated the speed of the eruptions, making it not only likely that both events had a hand in the dinosaurs’ downfall, but difficult to tease out which, if either, was more to blame.

time.com...

Ok as many of you know I was not there.. I did not see all this with my own eyes... but I find this very plausible.. Something that big hitting the earth IMO would have caused all kinds of plate shifts and lava leaks all over the world with such a ring the bell event as the impact.. I bet some dino tail taste just like chicken...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
thanks for the find. I have to agree. Very interesting theory that seems very plausible

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It makes sense I guess-An asteroid could have a 'push on daddies tummy and make him fart' effect, but where did the 'fart' come from?

Chixculub is the obvious answer, but there could be other places, after all the continents we not always in the same place and there have been larger impacts in the past.

edit on 3-10-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I am at a loss to see why this is considered a new theory. I remember seeing at least 10 years ago on the tv the world walloped by an asteroid and the effect on our vulcanos because where the world gets pushed in, it comes out on the opposite side, which disrupts the equilibrium of the plates and triggers the eruptions. This is nothing new.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
consider this Russian volcano zone...to be the modern era deccan traps equivalent...

there are some 300 volcanos on the peninsula...and 29 are active.... sometimes as many as 3 to 5 volcanos can erupt at the same time

see: kamchatka.org.ru...

side-issue:
some people may say that the combined Kamchatka lava flows and the 4 horsemen blood moon tetrad are bringing in Nature's contribution of these end-times we are in right now

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Asteroid INSTENSIFIED Volcanic eruptions which added to DINOSAUR DOOM

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The take away, to us living on this rock, is it might be a good idea to have a spare home for those none-too-rare-in--geologic-terms catastrophes here.

edit on 10/3/2015 by Baddogma because: added an o

new topics

top topics

join