It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we have a euthanasia pill now please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I have a father that has been in a nursing home for the last few month to live out his time. Time is short with him as his body is failing. He has had time to make peace with the world and get his affairs in order. All that's left is the wait. Can somebody explain why he has to lay there and suffer?
He has no chance of improvement or recovery.
I understand that there are always going to be gray areas with terminating a life, but some times the end result is painfully obvious.
Have two doctors examine the patient and sign off on the possibility of recovery.
Have a psychiatrist determine the patients mental state.
Have a lawyer take care of legal issues.
Now end his misery!

Maybe I should have put this in the rant section....ugh.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have a father that has been in a nursing home for the last few month to live out his time. Time is short with him as his body is failing. He has had time to make peace with the world and get his affairs in order. All that's left is the wait. Can somebody explain why he has to lay there and suffer?
He has no chance of improvement or recovery.
I understand that there are always going to be gray areas with terminating a life, but some times the end result is painfully obvious.
Have two doctors examine the patient and sign off on the possibility of recovery.
Have a psychiatrist determine the patients mental state.
Have a lawyer take care of legal issues.
Now end his misery!

Maybe I should have put this in the rant section....ugh.

Sorry Bro....Been there

Get Hospice in there. They will send him along to our next stop.

I wish I had some words that would make you feel better. There are none.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm sorry for your Father. I am sorry for you as well.

Agree with the above poster about hospice.
It can not be quick by any stretch sometimes but, it is better than watching your loved one suffer...
It is hard for the living too.

Have you tried hospice or at least spoken to a rep?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Get some cyanide.

Or get over it.
Suicide is wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Thank you sir. But don't give me the sympathy. Give it to the people that really need it, the ones like my dad that just want to get it over with.
He has had a great life of 83 years with a great family. We should all be as lucky as he has been up till now.
But I do appreciate the support, thank you

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

He is getting very good care in the nursing home. The VA handling his care. They just can't end it early.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I feel the same way OP. I hate to refer to it as the same thing as having a pet but it's the truthful reality we live in. Why do we make thousands if not millions of these folks suffer? I have always said to my wife that I would love it if I could pass away at an elderly yet healthy age like say 75. I told her if there is ever that option of euthanasia and I am deteriorating health wise or in any sort of vegetative state that she needs to pull the plug on me. I do not want to live if my body fails but my mind is stable. It would be a living nightmare.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The medical establishment wants us to linger in pain as long as possible because it brings in more profit that way.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Euthanasia is legal in some states in the U.S and these include Oregon, Washington, Montana and Vermont.

There are several countries in which it is legal; Switzerland comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I feel the same way OP. I hate to refer to it as the same thing as having a pet but it's the truthful reality we live in. Why do we make thousands if not millions of these folks suffer? I have always said to my wife that I would love it if I could pass away at an elderly yet healthy age like say 75. I told her if there is ever that option of euthanasia and I am deteriorating health wise or in any sort of vegetative state that she needs to pull the plug on me. I do not want to live if my body fails but my mind is stable. It would be a living nightmare.

Except,

In our F'd up world we would never allow our pet to shake and suffer for months.

Yet, we will watch the ones we love suffer in pain for years.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

He is getting very good care in the nursing home. The VA handling his care. They just can't end it early.

They are required to preserve life. You don't have to keep him there. Obviously you love him, do you love him enough to bring him home and let him pass at home amongst family? There are options. In home hospice or in hospice care.

Just beware, some hospices speed things along by withholding food, medication and or water, even.

Links

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What are you talking about? The nursing home is only charging $6000 a month........

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

We would have loved to take him to our house or even his, but he needed to much attention. Hospice would only be available three days a week for him. I really can't complain about how the nursing home is caring for him. They are doing the best they can.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Very sad.

Been through a similar thing. Hospice was very helpful for all of us.

I just wanted to add that I do believe we should have that choice in life. It is one of my fears that creeps up on me sometimes. I have always been a private person and a person to make my own decisions. Sometimes I think the best way for me to go would be an unexpected event.
edit on 29-9-2015 by crappiekat because: to add.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Been there mate its heartbreaking nothin worse than waiting :/

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

We would have loved to take him to our house or even his, but he needed to much attention. Hospice would only be available three days a week for him. I really can't complain about how the nursing home is caring for him. They are doing the best they can.

"Too much attention" is whats keeping him lingering,right? The idea of a hospice is to interrupt that urgent care so people can pass with a little more dignity than just suffering and stringing along in their "best as possible" care.

The question for you is what do you think is better, what would he want, or you in a similar situation? To get it over with or to just linger in misery? Like you asked, can there just be a Euthanasia pill? In lieu of that there is hospice. Thats what it is there for.

I know, tough decisions in modern times. We are sheltered folk living our lives suspended from many brutal realities. We eat meat, preferring it already packaged, we fight wars, as long as they don't show it on TV. Blood is censored, swear words, censored, spiritual matters… censored.

Let the authorities handle it, call the cops, the Emts, the funeral home. They'll take care of it.

Life has shown up on your door step and now its time to make one of those life decisions. And see it through.

I just went through a NDE with my mom who recently suffering a stroke. She is recovering now, issued a 'clean bill of health'. I know I'll be where you are one day, so it strikes a nerve.

There is this other thread, lots of good commentary in there somewhere…

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

No, the only medication he is on is a water pill and a pain killer. The water pill is keeping the swelling down and reducing the pain caused by the swelling. They also wrap his legs to try to push the excess water out of his legs. That and they feed him and change his diaper. He can't walk to the bathroom on his own. That's a big reason we don't have him at home. We both work and could not be with him enough.
They are not doing anything to keep him alive, they are only trying to make him comfortable until something finally gives.
I want to be able to hurry that process along.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thats more clarity, thanks for that. Does he have a 'no-resuscitate' order?

I want to be able to hurry that process along.

He's probably not having much fun, either.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yes he does. And to answer the having fun inquiry.
He says, and I quote "they won't let an old bastard die"

It ain't no way for a Korean War vet to die,,,lol

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

He says, and I quote "they won't let an old bastard die"

He's lucid enough, is he alright with being there? Going out that way?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join