It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. support for Syria rebels illegal, Putin says ahead of Obama meeting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
uk.reuters.com...

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday branded U.S. support for rebel forces in Syria as illegal and ineffective, saying U.S.-trained rebels were leaving to join Islamic State with weapons supplied by Washington.

I wonder how many rebels joined ISIS over the years? How many ISIS terrorists posed as rebels and received all sorts of aid only to bring it back to their fellow terrorists? It's no secret this is a reality and that the Whitehouse is always trying to arm the "moderate" rebels. ISIS is fully loaded with US arms from Syria and raiding Iraqi military bases. Arming the rebels has done way more harm than good, a continuing trend for all of our foreign policies in the Middle East.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I hope he convinces that twit to stop throwing good money after bad and outfitting some of the worst scum on the planet.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Proxy wars happen. Weapons get into the hands of the wrong people. Putins annexation of Crimea was however highly illegal. And directly resulted into a civilian airliner being blown out of the sky. Cause and effect. Both are terrible, but preaching on illegal should not come from him.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

What does Crimea have to do with Syria and Putins words on it?

Second...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

Maybe a bit hypocritical?

Ie. what about him providing weapons, soldiers and invading a sovereign nation? At least the west havn't invaded Syria yet.

Also, Assad is indiscriminately dropping bombs on his own people, at least the west are targeting ISIS and not Assad.

However, something more needs to be done in Syria, it's an tragic situation.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
One of the problems I see is the international propaganda where Putin's Russia and his request for a coalition to fight ISIS is actually a great chess move. He gets to protect Assad and bomb the crap out of all the fearless backed by whoever (puke) rebels. From where I sit and talking to Expats from all over the world they don't seem to care who stomps ISIS back into the sand as long as it gets done.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
a reply to: Terminal1

Maybe a bit hypocritical?

Ie. what about him providing weapons, soldiers and invading a sovereign nation? At least the west havn't invaded Syria yet.

Also, Assad is indiscriminately dropping bombs on his own people, at least the west are targeting ISIS and not Assad.

However, something more needs to be done in Syria, it's an tragic situation.

I feel like you have everything you said backwards..

I mean ef it all I was TOLD we would attack Syria.. this was almost 10 years ago now.. And here we are..

and is the US not in Ukraine BEFORE Russia??? Come on I hope that's just a mistake in communication and not what you think is actually happening.

Russia is Syrian Ally. They are not invading. It is their place. The US has no place, except if they were attacking terrorism, which they are not. Air drops for ISIS is like giving poison candy to babies on halloween. It's so messed up. Russia is on the right side here.

So sad it makes me, which it truly does, I was in the Army you know.. It makes me sad America being shown up on the world stage.

but it's the truth.
wrong side man.. Why can't we turn it around? Well I know why, but WHY?

gawd if Russia wants to Bomb ISIS then Hell yes. Thank You. If I was still in the forces I would want to do it myself.

back to the topic..
So now world leaders are calling out the legality of supporting terrorism and foreign agents in sovereign nations.. Wowzas.
Please America pull back before we have to lock you guys up in power. We will have to you know? You have to go to jail, but you could just Stop.

edit on 27-9-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

While I agree that we should not be playing nice with the rebels. Putin contributed to this problem as much as the US did. They sent the extremists to Turkey to keep them out of Chechneya and has been for a while. I know they are trying to rebrand the term "green corridor", but that was originally what it was called.

Not the best sources but here...

www.thedailybeast.com...

www.nytimes.com...

The best report on this can be found on Jane's, but I can not link that here.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't think the claim "supplied by Washington" is necessarily correct, but ISIS have certainly stockpiled large piles of US weaponry thanks to recent wins, and would be training their soldiers in the use of those weapons.

Once the Russians have been in Syria for a while, the same thing will happen to them, too.

In Afghanistan, he Mujahadeen used Soviet weapons too, but no one could use the argument that the Soviets SUPPLIED them.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
A bit hypocritical of Putin. If US support of rebels in Syria is illegal then doesn't that mean Russia's support of rebels in Ukraine is illegal? And let's not forget that most of the foreign volunteers joining ISIS come from Russia.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

**EDIT**

**at post above mine xcalibur I agree. but everyone messing things up is even worse than less people messing things up. Let's not become the enemy we face. IT's obvious putin can use this now to his advantage.. Great we give him fuel because oh we can be bad too. What happened to moral high grounds. If we get back to it, doing the right thing.. People can look up to us, and we can do more.**

we are over throwing a foreign government... Without declaring war.
it's no matter if it's ISIS or if it's FSA..
step back and imagine if it was your country.
Imagine Russia is supplying people in small towns with RPGs..
and we go to war against Washington??

Can you imagine.. It's not cool. It's very messed up.
And you can bet your ass if Russia did that I would be on Washington's side.

So messed up, and very much not legal.
edit on 27-9-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Interesting point, but is arming the rebels in the Ukraine in the same context as the US arming "moderate" Muslims in Syria? Russia and the Ukraine have their own history together but what does the US & friends have to do with Syria?

Has Russia endangered itself by arming "moderate" rebels in the Ukraine? Does the blow back compare to US blow back in the Middle East?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Funny. The Russian illegal action is not causing a god forsaken mass exodus.

At least the Ukrainian rebels, hell ill even call them the Russian soldier seperatists - at least they are not posting liveleak videos of beheading and mass execution graves. Fact is the US blunder is much more damaging to this world. By a long shot.

Russia action in Ukraine has been called illegal since the start. It is about DAMN time somebody finally calls the US supportment of rebels illegal. Syria is the tip of the iceberg. Try all of SA.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

At least the Ukrainian rebels, hell ill even call them the Russian soldier seperatists - at least they are not posting liveleak videos of beheading and mass execution graves. Fact is the US blunder is much more damaging to this world. By a long shot.

Russia action in Ukraine has been called illegal since the start. It is about DAMN time somebody finally calls the US supportment of rebels illegal. Syria is the tip of the iceberg. Try all of SA.

So how is supposed US intervention in Syria causing a mass exodus? Unless you subscribe to US created ISIS directly.

The reason is that Russia is backing the rebels against Ukraine, there is no ISIS type there and the majority of Ukraine is against the rebels whereas in Syria it's the other way around.

The fact is, they are both as bad as each other and the Syrian people are suffering whilst we stand idly by as another yugoslavia happens on our watch.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I wonder if international law is followed by global governments or is it just a do as I say not as I do type of scenario.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

U.S. support for Syria rebels illegal, Putin says ahead of Obama meeting. Wonderfull, fantastic, bout time someone said it.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

So unless they show those types of videos they aren't as bad...interesting way to look at things.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

U.S. support for Syria rebels illegal, Putin says ahead of Obama meeting. Wonderfull, fantastic, bout time someone said it.

But when that is said about Putin's action in Ukraine it isn't...hypocrisy at it's best.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Really?

nationalinterest.org...

Ukraine conflict: UN says million people have fled

www.bbc.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join