It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive anti-liberals attempting to push online censorship globally

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
That wasn't Sarkeesian. I can't recall the name of the woman in question, but if memory serves it was a female dev sleeping with a reviewer from Kotaku.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

That wasn't Sarkeesian. I can't recall the name of the woman in question, but if memory serves it was a female dev sleeping with a reviewer from Kotaku.

She is actually pictured in the OP as well...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

People have been loudly opposing her since 2013, a year before GG was around.

So what if people have been "loudly opposing her?" So you knew who she was and you omitted all of the context from the OP. That's called being deliberately misleading.

Everything else you wrote is just promoting victim mentality while ignoring everything said in the ops. you have added nothing.

I'm not promoting anything. You're the one with the agenda. I just pointed out that you omitted context from the OP and you've admitted as much.

Address specific quotes. tell me why you agree harassment is now considered someone calling someone a liar online
tell me why the UN should take measures to end cyber violence of disagreements.

Wow, for a newly minted liberal, you sure don't have any problem telling people what to do. I don't think the UN should take measures to end cyber-anything. I never said that calling somebody a liar online is harassment either. You're doing all the talking for both of us apparently.

as far as GG is concerned. I am a vegetarian, a vegetarian doesn't have to endorse hitler just because he also was a vegetarian. there are merits of vegetarianism. best not to use false equivalency

That's ironic given your straw man argumentation and cherry picking. Why don't you link a transcript of her comments and we can have a reasonable debate about the merits of what she said? I don't actually expect to agree with most of what she said but that doesn't mean that you weren't being intellectually dishonest from the jump either.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's been a while since I really paid any attention to it. There was some implied collusion on the part of game developers and game press too. Everyone sleeping with everyone, investing in everyone's stuff, compromised objectivity ... games that turned out to be crappy as far as the players were concerned would all receive glowing press/reviews, especially if they covered the SJW bases ... things like that.

She was in the forefront because her complaints and the ugliness going on around it made it easy to dismiss the whole thing as just a bunch of mouth-breathing troglodyte basement dwellers who couldn't handle change.

Elitist Gamers take "digital crack" to a whole new level!

I used to love playing World of Warcraft! Loved it! Then? I realized in running some of the end content of the game, (dungeons/raids) GOD FORBID YOU MAKE A MISTAKE! Holy hell the world might have just come to an end all because you made a mistake and caused a wipe!

Elitist gamers are emotionally insecure babies, who suck at everything that is important in life, and find a comfort in being a Gladiator in a world that DOES NOT EXIST.

Believe it or not? I saw marriages destroyed over a damn video game........
edit on 25-9-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Elitist gamers are emotionally insecure babies, who suck at everything that is important in life, and find a comfort in being a Gladiator in a world that DOES NOT EXIST.

Cool story bro
...you sound like a console'r

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Wow, for a newly minted liberal, you sure don't have any problem telling people what to do.

I am an old liberal. check my posting past. since 2009, I have been a dang near SJW progressive on here. still consider myself a liberal, just seeing the harm and incompatibility of progressiv-ism as they expand out.

I don't think the UN should take measures to end cyber-anything.

then that is all thats required, regardless of your views on groups, hobbies, etc. scream loudly on how those guys suck..debate is fun
just know when to stand firmly with who you (incorrectly) percieve as the enemy when censorship is being pushed is all that matters

glad you see the wisdom here.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Did you see the news from Australia today? Political Correctness has become a monster!!! Do we keep feeding it or shut it down? I know my answer!

Facebook 'unfriending' can constitute workplace bullying, Australian tribunal finds

Hurting someone's feelings is now workplace bullying?

Someone please put me out of my misery!

the last paragraph in the article that you directed us to, tells the exact opposite....it wasn't the facebook rejection, there was a lot more to it.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Not all of us are although I wouldn't necessarily put myself in the "elite" category. I can be very, very good when I put my mind to it though.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Cool story bro

Built my PC up. Actually though, I am a pinball wizard. Shows how old I am!

I bought Empyrion after someone posted on ATS, and I suck! I bought Savage Lands and I suck!

I have a few steam games which I suck at all of them, and I really enjoy Eriktheawfuls Let's play videos he posts! Still suck at those games too!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I've been censored on this site twice now.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Thing is that it's like the Civil Rights movement. There are the really big battles which are very worth fighting, but once those are done, the old warhorses don't have the sense to stand done.

While there are still small skirmishes to fight, the big battles are over. But the old warhorses insist on bringing the full brigade to every one, and they engage in overkill. Not every hill is Bunker Hill, nor should it be fought like it is.

Eventually, you get done a place where we start treating brown bags as racist. And manspreading as evidence of deep-seated misogyny. And the old warhorses come out and start tilting at windmills and generally making themselves a nuisance. It trivializes the real problems and cheapens the real issues that had to be overcome in the past.

The and honestly, they squawk about female character wearing bikinis but their sisters in the fight demand the right to wear lingerie unmolested in the city streets. On the one hand, it's bad to see women dressed in that stuff, but feminists say women should empower themselves by wearing it. Maybe all of them should get on the same page.

edit on 25-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Zoe Quinn
subject matter of the Zoe Post. (a worthy read, especially for a conspiracy website)

She as a individual is irrelevant, but the circumstance is the final straw that kicked off the powder keg. Adam Baldwin gave it a name, and since then its been a movement about ethical journalism in games media...and also became a slam against social culture warriors when kotaku used that shield verses address their ethical violations..and since then, everything became peaceful and loving on all sides with nobody gaining any sort of fame or financial benefit for crazyness

my grasp on some aspects may be a bit off here..

Thoughts on Zoe Quinn, the person:
not much. she seems moderately attractive and I always like girl gamers just by default.
I dont see twine as a game engine, but can be used to tell interesting choose your own adventure type stories.
I never played depression quest..not my type of entertainment.
I think personally she is probably profiting from pushing this narrative, and thats unfortunate.
I think her personal life is none of my business
I wish it was a thousand other sparks that kicked off the movement verses this one, but whatever..play with the cards dealt. sex scandals always get overhyped..so I guess was bound to be that verses some bioware deal buying journalists uncovered.
edit on 25-9-2015 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Cool story bro

Built my PC up. Actually though, I am a pinball wizard. Shows how old I am!

I bought Empyrion after someone posted on ATS, and I suck! I bought Savage Lands and I suck!

I have a few steam games which I suck at all of them, and I really enjoy Eriktheawfuls Let's play videos he posts! Still suck at those games too!

ok, so let me then get this straight...sum it up if you will

you: I got a game..yay..lemme play...oh man, I am terrible
gamer: Step aside n00b, lemme show you how this is done!
you: wow, you are better than me...you damn baby..I hate you!! MOM!!!! SOMEONE ONLINE FRAGGED MEH!!! THEY ARE BABIES!!!
actually, thats pretty much me too

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Now ya feel me?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I am an old liberal. check my posting past. since 2009, I have been a dang near SJW progressive on here. still consider myself a liberal, just seeing the harm and incompatibility of progressiv-ism as they expand out.

I think some of this simply boils down to semantics (what is a progressive?) and some of it is disproportionate attention being paid to certain people on the fringe who are often not thinking rationally (who is a progressive?). I would say that I take a progressive approach to liberalism. I want the most liberty for everyone and I want everyone to enjoy it equally and I believe the way to achieve this outcome is through objectively assessing issues and finding practical solutions. In my opinion, this differs from non-progressive approaches to liberalism such as modern American libertarianism (the people who most often identify themselves as 'classical liberals') which is obsessed with adherence to principles and dogma.

For instance, people talk about the size of government; and the typical libertarian response is that government should be as small as possible and that's the end of the story. It's almost cultish and they even have their own gospel like this bit from the LP platform page"

As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

We believe that respect for individual rights is the essential precondition for a free and prosperous world, that force and fraud must be banished from human relationships, and that only through freedom can peace and prosperity be realized.

I on the other hand think that what's important is that our laws protect individual liberty, that our government upholds these laws (isn't corrupt or ineffective) and that it is operated efficiently. Beyond that government should be as large or small as it needs to be to perform the functions that make the most sense to achieve our objectives.

then that is all thats required, regardless of your views on groups, hobbies, etc. scream loudly on how those guys suck..debate is fun just know when to stand firmly with who you (incorrectly) percieve as the enemy when censorship is being pushed is all that matters

glad you see the wisdom here.

Censorship is definitely not conducive to liberty but I also believe that harassment can be tantamount to censorship and therefore has the potential to be as contrary to the cause of liberty as censorship. The pressure from threats of death or rape is effectively no different then the threat of prosecution in stifling a person's free expression.

Perhaps I was a little quick to judge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join