It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assemblage 23 - Binary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I like electronic music, I dabble with a mixer every now and then (Traktor S4). A friend of mine threw this group at me late one night, and even thought it's a bit old -- I like the lyrics, and think it "fits" with ATS, especially as of late. The song is called "Binary". We're facing a presidential election and sides are polarizing themselves. Our technology is advancing, and kids today learn to use tablets before speaking. We are behaving more like machines and our machines are begining to behave more like humans (Siri, Cortana, Alexa).

One of the greatest lessons I've learned is that the world ISN'T black & white. Things aren't "on" or "off" 1's and 0's. We have to remember our humanity and realize that there are no absolutes.

Monochromatic reasoning,
The divide and conquer legacy.
Dissect and oversimplify,
All hail the death of compromise.

The world isn't rendered in black and white,
Other shades lie between.
Don't view the world with binary eyes,
We are human, not machine.

We are human, not machine.

Eliminate the critical,
When it all becomes too difficult.
Ignore the layers of subtlety,
Force feed them full of your beliefs.

We are human not machine.

Some day when we all awake,
From the dreams we dreamt for country's sake,
The logic you let come undone,
Is the noose that you'll be hanging from.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Love A23...was honoured to do their UK tour a few years ago now great bunch of guys

If you want something rather prophetic I don't think anything can beat Matt Johnson's The The - Armageddon Days are Here published over 20yrs ago....often wondered how the hell he knew!

Islam is Rising the Christians Mobilising.....hmmm

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You would probably also like VNV Nation:

They've been around a long time so they have a wealth of music available. Including a Remix album called Resonance where they got together with the London Philharmonic to record their songs. It's a great album.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thanks guys, I'll check those out! Is it just me, or as you get older do you listen to less music? It seems I have less time to listen to music than I did in my teens and 20s...?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah I found myself listening two a couple of songs on my way to work and back and that's it.

haven't been to a concert in 12 years.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
That's the way I like it. I'm dancing with a cat in my lap.

I feel more like a lion tamer than a computer programmer. I can only really hope for serendipity.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

This should be on the front page of ATS. This is the real BS.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like VNV but have found that their latest albums are pretty lacking

I spend hours trying to find new industrial/ebm music since here in the UK there is totally no exposure for anything other than pop shi*te....almost all the clubs have closed down too and of course there are no festivals in that genre unliek Germany which I will get to one day before I die!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
All the best electronic music comes from Europe...lol

I learned a while ago that the trends in electronic music first bubble up in Eastern Europe/Russia...then move to central Europe, hop the channel to the UK, hit the East Coast, and finally hit the West Cost of the USA.

I had a friend in Moldova that would throw stuff my way years before I heard anything like it coming out of the UK.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

That's cool, thanks for posting
I've meant to check them out for some time but never got around to it.

Also - Archer!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Nice thread. One of my favorites, good song as well.

Personally yes, have less time now days, but make as much time as possible for old and new music.

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
I like VNV but have found that their latest albums are pretty lacking

I spend hours trying to find new industrial/ebm music since here in the UK there is totally no exposure for anything other than pop shi*te....almost all the clubs have closed down too and of course there are no festivals in that genre unliek Germany which I will get to one day before I die!

Pretty much of the same in the US outside of the largest cities, LA and NYC-not that it isn't a given. Seattle and Portland however still has some activity at least with some known musicians of the genre such as the more known A23, also Glis and Unter Null . To the north, Vancouver, BC has even more acts as many know Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Delirium, Left Spine Down, and Numb.

Still doubt it tops Germany now days!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Nope the Germans and Scandanavians churn out some uber music, Covenant being one of my faves too.

In the UK we have no radio stations for alternative music, no magazines other than metal, rarely have gigs as no-one really wants to tour here anymore and club nights which were only once a month to begin with are now few and far between.

I was lucky in the late 90's early 2000's to have been a band promoter and managed to get over a good number of bands to the UK but as is often the case in this country, the turn out was poor, I lost tons of cash but had a ball and got to see my fave bands too

We are very fickle here, everything has to be new & cutting edge, rare people will admit they still like or dance to Das Ich or Covenant or Funker Vogt....dj's are basically up their own arse and play what they want to hear which now is mainly power noise or aggro tech which is fine...in moderation
well certainly for this old bird

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Love me some Covenant.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Covenant

Closest there is might be Gothic Beauty magazine's reviews and interviews these days.

Late 90s/early 2000s must of caught some good stuff there. One of my fav times.

Also, would have to say one of the more fun times I had was in a smaller city area's Industrial night, drew in all kinds of people wondering about the music.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I miss those days...

Seem long gone.

top topics

join