It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first Butterfly Oil Painting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Okay so this one I did in one week, also stretched canvas, 15cm X 15cm.

It is also in an art gallery where I will try to sell it.

Would you buy it if you could?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Here's my offer.

Don't go crazy!

I like it. I'm just messin' wit ya.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

LOL! Thanks, now I have another one for my money collection hehe.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

It's pretty good...the drawing of the butterfly is very nice, but it comes across more as a tattoo-style of art (where the edge lines are visible) that a painting done in a realistic style. But that could be what you were going for?

But then again, I'm more of a greyscale charcoal guy, so use my constructive criticism for what it's worth.

Overall, though, it's nice, but it has the appearance more of a watercolor than an oil to me.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Oh how pretty! I always wished I could paint, but I suck at it!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You are correct. It was a first, and to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with it. It does look a bit incomplete.

Here is a thought, maybe I'll get it back an do some fine tuning. Then I'll come back to you personally. How does that sound?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Aww thanks Night.

I believe everyone can learn. I'll about to learn my girlfriend how to paint. If she can, so can you

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You can if you'd like to, but honestly, I'm no expert on painting. I can tell you about composition, maybe color--basically, I can critique it, but not give you any constructive examples of what to do to fix anything. But I'm more than happy to do that.

People in my art classes used to hate critiques because I and another friend were absolutely honest, whereas everyone else would only point out what they liked about it...that does nothing to better one's skills, it only appeases their opinion of what they created.

It's cool that you always seem intent on bettering yourself

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Personally I think it's very well done. Did you use a picture to go by? Colors are great. I think I would have made him (her?!) "furry" as some butterfly's are, around the neck and body where the wings connect to the body. But, as I said, very well done!!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I have found that the best criticism come from people who can not replicate what they are giving they critique on, because they are the biggest market if you wish to sell. That is if that made sense. And any criticism is taken with gladness, because I want to paint what other people like.

It's cool that you always seem intent on bettering yourself

Thanks. I struggled for 3 years rolling out only 5 painting, so I decided that I need to try new things, work faster and better if I ever wanted to make a few bucks from my work. And, well, I found my other half and she gives me the inspiration I always needed

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

Good advice, thank you very much. I truly think I want to follow all the advice given today. I want it to be one of my best works.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

If you have the DESIRE, you can do it. It takes A LOT of practice...but it doesn't happen overnight. You're always your own worse critic. But you don't give up just because you THINK you suck My mother in law had the desire, took as many classes as she could and in less than a year people were commissioning oil paintings from her. Animals she did were so life-like you felt as though you could reach out and actually feel their fur. Her roses, i swear you could almost smell their fregnerances!

Another friend, a professional and son of a professional, borrowed every book he could and spent hours going through the lesson plans untill he got it just right. Now he commands thousands of dollars for his work.

So, go on gal, get crackin'! You and your "will" can do it!! I expect to see some of your work here on ATS just any ole time soon!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

I couldn't have said it better myself

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
As a part owner in a Art Gallery, my advice is to put the most expensive frame you can afford on your work and and price it for the collector/patron.

Nice work

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wow, awesome to have you here. I'm honored to have you comment. Maybe I can ask you for your advice. Can I maybe drop you a U2U, don't want this post removed for Thread Drifting.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

Wow, awesome to have you here. I'm honored to have you comment. Maybe I can ask you for your advice. Can I maybe drop you a U2U, don't want this post removed for Thread Drifting.

Of course...I sent you a link to our Gallery.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Great Thanks

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rubicon3

If you have the DESIRE, you can do it. It takes A LOT of practice...but it doesn't happen overnight. You're always your own worse critic. But you don't give up just because you THINK you suck My mother in law had the desire, took as many classes as she could and in less than a year people were commissioning oil paintings from her. Animals she did were so life-like you felt as though you could reach out and actually feel their fur. Her roses, i swear you could almost smell their fregnerances!

Another friend, a professional and son of a professional, borrowed every book he could and spent hours going through the lesson plans untill he got it just right. Now he commands thousands of dollars for his work.

So, go on gal, get crackin'! You and your "will" can do it!! I expect to see some of your work here on ATS just any ole time soon!

That was so inspiring, thank you! It's a rather expensive hobby and I already make jewelry and do other craft work, so it will have to wait.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I like it.
Not just because that is what you say, I truly do.

I may not buy it but I can appreciate the time and effort that went into it.
The colors don't speak to me. It didn't make me feel anything special.

Had it been a butterfly in say a meadow or on a flower, with more dramatic design, perhaps then I would want to buy it.

With that said I have absolutely NO talent but have purchased art in the past that I personally fell in love with.
I think you are on to something to paint nature.
Have you tried painting birds? There is a longer brush stroke in the feathers as opposed to wings of a butterfly...
I know a lot of folks do it but, maybe that is something you could try.

Very nice. Thank you!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Very Good Piece here IO!! I Love It!!!You are aome artist!!! (I'm Jealous of You Bro!!) LOL!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join