It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents: Is school any more truthful now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If in wrong place mods, yknow...but this IS about disinfo in schools.
In addition to refusing to sing the National Anthem, or to recite the Declaration of Independence (lol what an oxymoron) which DID end in "amen," as a young student I also refused to sing a song that went "all I want is bread and honey and some good and faithful friends," which is all I can remember of it, and can't find on Google.
Traveling this week, I'm reminded of "This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land" - to which, at least 95% of my classes was totally untrue. Are they still trying to pass that off as fact in school?
Seems any kid with half a brain cell and internet would not only call BS but laugh aloud at the concept these days.
I know schools are slow to update books as theyre not cheap and funding keeps being cut, but just wondering if say "American History" has changed at all? I went to school in the '70s and not many others challenged the teachings about Columbus or slavery back then. Any different now?
Here's a funny example:
I think I was in 6th grade or so. Health teacher says (reading blindly fromher book):
"It takes 12 hours for food or liquid to pass from your mouth to your stomach."
I laughed. She tried to scold me. "Take a drink of that hot cup of coffee and tell us that again," I challenged her. She looked really embarrased as the whole class laughed, so I said "Sorry, but anyway, go on..."
In the age of Google, does this still happen? Anyone or your kids have similae "WTF I call BS" moments the past few years?
edit on 16-9-2015 by KAOStheory because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

Sorry for typos im on my phone.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

So... you did not like non-secular songs. Okay, I get that.

It takes about seven seconds for the food or liquid to reach the stomach. It then takes six to eight hours for the food to reach small intestines, while it takes 45 to 60 minutes for liquids to reach your bladder.

Additionally, I would suggest that you ask physicians about bodily functions instead of "health teachers" quoting dubious books.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thanks for the (unnecessary) advice.
Obviously I knew that. When I was 10, in 1981. The point is, WHY was that in the curriculum, and is BS like it still there? Because I was apparently the only student who knew it was BS.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I went to school in the '70s and not many others challenged the teachings about Columbus or slavery back then. Any different now?

Yes! Recent studies challenged the accepted history of Columbus, and have shown that Columbus actually was a extraterrestrial hybrid (in his mother's side) who reached America through a wormhole using quantum tunnelling which he devised with the help of Nikola Tesla as the latter had went back in time using the inventions of a Pharaoh who was a disciple of Einstein's astral projection.

/sarcasm.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: KAOStheory
The point is, WHY was that in the curriculum, and is BS like it still there? Because I was apparently the only student who knew it was BS.

Why? Because your school obviously needed a teacher real bad and did not take the time to get a proper one.

Maybe she was a friend of the headmaster, maybe she did the job cheaper, I don't know, I do not have enough data. But I do think it's less a "disinformation conspiracy" than it is of a simple negligence.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
My youngest son is 11. He had issues with his 3rd grade teacher which ultimately lead to me homeschooling him. He called her on Columbus as a matter of fact, and advised her to read about Leif Erickson(sp?) that ended with him isolated and in the principal's office. If I was the type I should really Sue her and the school district but that is another topic, and not really my style. The answer you seek is " The exact same or even more of the BS backwards thinking still goes on today.”

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Wow. Yea thats one of the more obvious ones these days.
I grew up in Omaha so they had some kind of weird "Prarie Pride" lol so I kept my mouth shut most of the time. "Those who know dont say" is a safe policy.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Why? Because your school obviously needed a teacher real bad and did not take the time to get a proper one.

Political job maneuvering and hiring in school districts is disgusting. It's not what you know, it's who you know. It's a shame, because school districts are always touting everything they do is for the student. Bull.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I said she was just reading from a book.
If you want to comment without reading the post and go all off-topic please do it in some other forum. Don't get all high and mighty like you've never had to do or say something against your better judgement for the sake of remaining employed. I'm not getting into teachers and school system politics here. - the topic is CURRICULUM. I'll thank you to stay on it.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There was a ton of whitewashing when I was in school (graduated in 2003). Now my daughter comes home telling me how great Edison was, and I tell her about Tesla. She had to write about the pyramids, and I inform her that, while theories may be correct, we don't know for sure how they were constructed. Just little things, but I try to keep her open to the fact that school doesnt teach you everything, or that what they do reach is not concrete in accuracy. But she's only 9, so I have to keep it simple.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
My youngest son is 11. He had issues with his 3rd grade teacher which ultimately lead to me homeschooling him. He called her on Columbus as a matter of fact, and advised her to read about Leif Erickson(sp?) that ended with him isolated and in the principal's office. If I was the type I should really Sue her and the school district but that is another topic, and not really my style. The answer you seek is " The exact same or even more of the BS backwards thinking still goes on today.”

Thing is that when I was in grade school, I was taught only Columbus, but by the time I was in Middle School, they introduced Leif Erickson when I was in school. So it may not be that they don't know; it may simply be that at that stage in a student's learning process, they don't consider Erickson as important to cover. Now if they left him out entirely all the way up ... I'd be upset.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

So... you did not like non-secular songs. Okay, I get that.

It takes about seven seconds for the food or liquid to reach the stomach. It then takes six to eight hours for the food to reach small intestines, while it takes 45 to 60 minutes for liquids to reach your bladder.

Additionally, I would suggest that you ask physicians about bodily functions instead of "health teachers" quoting dubious books.

It appears wrong information is still being taught.

It takes six to eight hours for food to transit from the stomach to the large intestine. It takes between two to four hours for food to go from the stomach to the small intestine, five hours sometimes for the stomach to completely empty.

People wouldn't likely get hungry as often if it took the time you suggested.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

People wouldn't likely get hungry as often if it took the time you suggested.

Actually, hunger is caused by chemical signals to one's brain, such as NPY, CCK, ghrelin, etc.

This explains why some people can eat all they want, yet still feel hungry only a few hours after.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
may I remind some that school boards are local, and local politics has a lot to do with what WILL BE taught, and what WILL NOT BE taught....it's not that teachers don't know, it could be that they are not allowed to tell it to students.
edit on 17-9-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Most of us don't remember what it's like to be little and only just building our knowledge base for the first time. Because they are mastering that stuff for the very first time, history is less focused on in grade school and often greatly simplified to start with, and then when they are reviewing it they gradually add more meat and depth.

But other subjects like math and reading are more important to focus on at that age.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

It's not any more truthful, but I don't know if they lie more than they did. School is still a propaganda tool, they're just framing their propaganda differently because the overall objective is different. My baseline is similar to yours, I'm only a few years younger (I was four in 1981). I think I like the unity message better from my day rather than the guilt message that is current, but there are pros and cons.

top topics

join