It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take me to the place where you go, where nobody knows if it's night or day...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Imagine for a moment that time is only a concept and nothing more. It's very difficult to do because most of us have been conditioned since birth to acknowledge the significance of time in the practical sense. We only have a finite number of hours in a day to complete our tasks and must carefully plan our activities if we are to accomplish all our goals for that time period before we fatigue and require sleep. This cycle seems to repeat itself continually, which can leave our lives feeling stagnant and predictable. No wonder so many people are always looking for ways to spice up their lives.

But what if time were in fact infinite and what only ever exists is in the present? Many people just cannot alter the perception of time that has been drummed into them since birth. They will say things like "well I was born X years ago, and I worked as a media advisor Y years ago, and I lost my parent Z years ago, and that is not happening now so it must be in the past!" They might compound this by saying that life was different then and they have changed since those events took place.

That last point is valid, but it does not negate the theory that time could very well be infinite. You see, while it might seem like a paradox (and it probably is), "that which remains constant is that we continuously change in the present moment of time" doesn't sound so crazy when you think about it deeply. I am not the same person I "was" 5 minutes ago and I won't be the same person I am 5 years into the "future". Nevertheless, the constant throughout is the self-evident consciousness.

I am not the first person to have this revelation and I won't be the last. And while these "time is an illusion" threads might be plentiful, I do believe I have presented these views through a unique voice, which I hope will result in a "light bulb moment" for as many readers as possible.

What are your beliefs on the nature of Time?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Try spending a month is solitary.
Minutes become hours. Hours become days.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I often have this thought. However, then I have to question how time dilation factors into it? Does the astronaut travelling at high velocity whose watch ends up being a bit behind those at rest or moving more slowly, depict two separate "presents" until their velocities become similar again? And does this not suggest we are all in a sense in our own "present" as we are all travelling at different relative velocities, however small the degree of difference might be?

Or is there one universal "present" which simply has regions of spacetime moving at different "speeds?" If we could approach the speed of light for long enough, and effectively travel into the future eventually, would this prove a disparity between the present and the "future?" Or would it merely indicate a single "present" in which different participants change at different rates?

It's difficult for me as a layperson to ponder.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

What are your beliefs on the nature of Time?

Let's examine what there IS.
What is there?
There is only ever what appears to be happening.
Seeing is happening, hearing is happening - can time be seen or heard?

Or is time imagined now? Stories happen that speak of 'another time' but speaking and hearing and listening and knowing that there is a story appearing, always happens presently.

The present is always present but the present constantly appears different.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
An experience I hope I never have to undergo. Although, the realisation that you are truly alone in this universe is not to be taken lightly either - the isolation stings.

a reply to: AceWombat04
It's mind-boggling, isn't it? I feel exactly the same way as a layperson.

a reply to: Itisnowagain
I must admit that you are one of the members I had in mind while typing this thread.

I think our views are very similar on this topic.

edit on 13/9/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Time is an imaginary concept meant to measure man's mortality. As all time was released along with all matter, energy , space in the beginning , this backs it up. All time happened at once during the great expansion. It is only OUR perception of the passing of time that we measure.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
To a certain extent I would agree, but then again I would disagree.

Even if we were like the animals, our biology would be governed by the cycles of sun, moon and season. The subtle lengthening and shortening of days along with the gradual creeping up and down of temperature or the change of moisture in the atmosphere acting on our bodies ... even if we were not consciously aware of it.

You can see it in the animal kingdom.

As an aquarium hobbyist, there were certain kinds of fish that could only be induced to spawn by simulating flood cycles alternating with warm and cold periods. If that isn't a natural rhythm of time, I don't know what is.

Even humans have SAD caused by the change of seasons.

Now on to the part where I agree ... inasmuch as we are subtly governed by those natural rhythms. Those natural rhythms can be artificially altered. We do it in the micro when we travel across the globe. We call it jet lag. If we ever traveled to another planet in the solar system, we would have to adapt to the new planetary cycles of day/night and the new seasonal changes and rhythms as would any and all organisms we brought along with us.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Our perception of time is as reliable for discerning truth as our perception of touch. Become a child, completely wipe away all your worldviews, and simply observe the magic at hand.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Time for a ghost does not end, but if that ghost wanted to speak to another ghost, enough time had to pass to get the conversation completed.

Also w/o time, there is no melody, and no music.

However anyone wants to bend the rules of time, it is always there. But the measurement of it is not always the same to all observers.

Time is infinite so long as something exists.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Are you ever not now? Are you ever not here?
'I am' (the sense that I exist) can only happen now.
Rupert Spira takes a deep and insightful look at now:

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
TAke YoU There ! ? ! ?

I'll ...

I'll ... Take YoU There.

I'll Take you there!

Mike Grouchy

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Time is an imaginary concept meant to measure man's mortality. As all time was released along with all matter, energy , space in the beginning , this backs it up. All time happened at once during the great expansion. It is only OUR perception of the passing of time that we measure.

Spot on.

Our time is only ever relavant for us in relation to our current solarsystem and length of the human body (which is merely a vessel for consciousness to inhabit).

Alan Watts talks several times about how we constantly succeed in distancening ourselves from the universe by seeing our apperearence as something separate and unique.
When in fact you could say that the big bang is still on going, we are just at the tail end of it.....

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The greatest thing Ive experienced was finding this out, but the fun begins when you become able to "come off it" and see yourself and the world / universe from a third person view in the present but still remain in the game.
You suddenly realise that this is the closest thing we come to an absurd virtual reality game..... Ofcourse you cant behave like you know it is, that would make you unfit and possibly be marked as insane, but it does indeed take the edge of things such as the seriousness of life when once our body dies it actually didnt make a whole lot of difference you were here in the first place. Just be at peace with that and enjoy the ride.... You energy will persist in the end.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Time is a mischievous demon...

If you're running out of time, minutes become seconds!

If you're waiting for something, minutes become hours!

In time travel, you do not control the time, because time controls you.
edit on 17-9-2015 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

"that which remains constant is that we continuously change in the present moment of time"

It takes time for change to happen, time as in "events" can be infinite. It's possible, but time as in "2015, 2016, etc. are labels/numbers that humanity made in order to keep track. We could easily call it "year AB" or "year XY", the name/labels given are just there for communication but the sequence of events (what we call "time") is still happening.
edit on 17-9-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join