It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebays true colours.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Is there nothing eBay will not exploit?
YES, it's a grab from ATS, but this has nothing to do with ATS...it's advertising.

Sanc'.
edit:title

[edit on 31-12-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ebay, like everything else, is just a business whose goal is the accumulation of money. Corporations who do give contributions to various needy organizations only do so for good PR so the public will trust them more in order to get more money from them. It is simple corporate american mentality.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If i remember right, there was a ebay advert on ATS for the selling of 'black' people on ebay not so long ago

The text is generated from topically words on the current page... i think.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Any search you do on google will turn up for sell on E-bay. Do a search on "my little girl", and you will find E-bay has an ad for it.
Its all about the cash. They just take your key words and out them in an ad without checking what the key words actually are.

[edit on 12/31/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The almighty dollar.

Scruples? Ebay wouldn't know the meaning of the word. Come to think of it, of course they do.

They just don't give a %#$! outside their boardroom.

Sanc'.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It seems as if ebay will attempt to sell anything regardless of the current mood or conditions people are in. Only in America

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
At first I thought it might be an ebay-run auction that would be for disaster relief, like some of the charity auctions they run. But a search for "disaster relief" brings up items people are promising to donate the proceeds from.

And I'm sure ebay is taking their cut from these items.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ebay can take a cut out of anything. I could see how people would give their disaster donations to eBay insteadof Red Cross because they probably "trust" eBay more.

oh and sanctum- LOVE the signature, fish called wanda is great

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It just puts your words you search for behind "for sale".
Do like kidfinger said, except google search for "slaves". Usually, it says Slaves for Sale, or Slaves on Ebay.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

you actually read the ads....

I never pay attention to those...matter of fact I have my browser block most of them...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is an ad by an affiliate marketer (notice the "affil" text in the ad). Which means its some average schmuck that made and paid for that ad alone. In fact most of those ads for ebay and amazon you see on google are actually done by other people and not made by the company whatsoever.

The telltale sign is the variation of the word affiliate that is required to be included in the ad. (aff, affil, affiliate etc.)

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i never evn noticed the affil until you pointed it out! like the fjords? lol

yeah, ebay will def market anything if it increases profits

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wish the ad would grab thread titles... I would have loved to see "Crazy Toilet Dweller: get it now on E-bay!"

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
From what I see after typing tsunami in ebay's search is all the proceeds are for tsunami relief efforts.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
These are affiliate advertisers, not eBay. People make money advertising for eBay usually through some third party program like Commission Junction. The more sales conversions they make, the more money they make. People make tens of thousands of dollars a month doing this. These ads are out of eBay's hands and reflect the attempt of the general public to make money.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's AUTOMATED.

Jesus.

It takes the popular words from the page you're viewing and creates an ad around them.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

only in america

Actually, I don't think that's true. In a lot of other places, it's much worse.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Nerdling, the ads themselves are not generated automatically. Every ad is made individually, but delivered automatically depending on the keywords entered.

[edit on 1/2/2005 by Kageki]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It's AUTOMATED.

Jesus.

It takes the popular words from the page you're viewing and creates an ad around them.

Nerdling, i'm not talking about the 'subject related auto-generation' of ads. I'm talking about the morality of these companies who seek to profit from human misery.

Even if we go into the affiliates debate, the point is what do people see as the source?
www.eBay.com.

Ever heard the phrase, "the buck stops here".

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
It just puts your words you search for behind "for sale".
Do like kidfinger said, except google search for "slaves". Usually, it says Slaves for Sale, or Slaves on Ebay.

He's right!! Look:

Ye Old eBay

top topics

<<   2 >>

join