It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger SR22, your opinions please.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

In reading reviews and watching videos of this weapon, it appears to shoot good with all sorts of ammo. I would hate to have a .22lr and find that it only shot high end rounds. that defeats the purpose of having a .22lr. (IMHO)

I have a Smith and Wesson 22s that is really cool, but with all the accessories on it, it's impractical to carry. I'd like a little 22 so I can plink a bit and teach the grand kids to shoot. I am interested in opinions on this gun. I liked the looks of the Sig mosquito, but found it only likes CCI rounds and they are a bit high $.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

In reading reviews and watching videos of this weapon, it appears to shoot good with all sorts of ammo. I would hate to have a .22lr and find that it only shot high end rounds. that defeats the purpose of having a .22lr. (IMHO)

I have a Smith and Wesson 22s that is really cool, but with all the accessories on it, it's impractical to carry. I'd like a little 22 so I can plink a bit and teach the grand kids to shoot. I am interested in opinions on this gun. I liked the looks of the Sig mosquito, but found it only likes CCI rounds and they are a bit high $.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I do not own one myself, but have shot them and have friends who own them....most of them only keep what they like to shoot and don't have problems with, and none that I know of have ever gotten rid of this one. So yeah...I'd say it is a pretty well made pistol with very few problems.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Good gun. Walther P22 isn't bad either.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheridan91s

2nd on the Walther...been around a while and I never have had problems with mine...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheridan91s

From the reviews, they are almost the same gun, except for the de-cocker on the Ruger. I have a H&K USP 45 with a de-cocker and I like that feature.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The USP is a great pistol. Im a 1911 fan myself and what I carry most days. When I need small it's the s&w bodyguard but live my Walther for plinking. a reply to: network dude

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I do have this arm. I am not an avid enthusiast, but wanted a good side for the Mrs. We do notice the occasional clip not seating good without a little force, and the recoil rod is plastic ans needs upgraded. We have unloaded box after box of all types of amo and not one time had an issue. I do feel funny with a Barny purple gun in my hand, but it is solid. Came with 2 grips of different sizes. It make a great trainer for the 9. I would highly recommend.

note: I looked up my password for the first time in months just to vogue for this pistol if that adds any weight.
edit on 8-9-2015 by ttropia because: Clarify

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

I was thinking of getting the pink one. Or not.

thanks for the review.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Like your screen name BTW. I am K12 IT of 16 years. Hence not having time for being a gun enthusiast.

Actually, I am a gear head that doesn't like being greasy all day (avatar hint).

You mentioned the little ones. This arm has so many safety features, I would think it is the one for the application as well. I had a Chek republic .32 that was about as safe. Sold it and cried since.
edit on 8-9-2015 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Start your own IT business. In this economy, you have PLENTY of time to do hobbies.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I would start IT but with the failure of ERate funding, I am glad I didn't. Don't want the overhead. I am paid well, but may be forced to bid on contracts. My boss is hardly braking even these days and I get about %80 of our profits on my payroll. Well, I get about %50. The rest goes to endless wars fighting some fairy tail war that shouldn't be.

Wanted to apologize about thread drift. This arm deserves more notoriety!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheridan91s

I like my Walther. Never had a fail to eject as long as I used CCI's.
I bought some cheap off brand ammo once and it didn't like it.
I've never had a problem with a Ruger, but I have not used that particular model.
My guess is it should work fine.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I am looking for a semi-auto that will fire the cheap stuff. So far, the reviews on this are very promising. What rounds didn't do well in your Walther?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My Walther prefers CCI too. But really. CCI may be a little Pricey but they are worth it. If the cheap stuff has a misfire every once in a while so be it. a reply to: network dude

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I decided to go see what I bought last... CCI Standard Velocity 22LR.

Maybe I haven't put bulk rounds in er yet. I will get the cheapest of cheap and report in a few days.

My CCI were $6.95 for 50. Just to give an idea. Sounds cheap enough for a little target fun.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Can anyone recommend a shell that has a long/stable shelf life please? Maybe a reason why one type last longer than others.

To add my knowledge in return; Buy a gallon of premix with stabilizer in a can for your 2 cycles. At the end of the season, start using it and when the last run runs, spray a little lubricant similar to WD40 in the carbs until it smokes and almost dies. This will make for a nice spring start.

edit on 8-9-2015 by ttropia because: Typo

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
For a 22 I don't know but I am shooting some Lake City brass in my AR from the Vietnam era

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That's some shelf life! I gather either rounds last in general (lack of knowledge), or I need to get a center fire. Is lake city brass a manufacture for the public. OK, OK, I will google. Being lazy.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Lake city is also Federal. It's good cheap ammo for the AR. Usually FMJ or Green tip.
You can get them in 1000 rd bulk packs. I like them on stripper clips. I am not sure how old my ammo was, but I didn't have any misfires with the .223.

CCI for 6 and change. That's a great price. It's usually above 12 for 50 rds. I like the cheap bricks. Last I got was American and $36 for 400rds.

I have some older .22 where a brick of 500 was $13. Winchester wildcat. that was quite some time ago.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I own the Walther P22, and have shot the Ruger in order to evaluate ammo use in both. .22 pistols are notorious for being selective in the ammo it will use to function reliably, and the issue is amplified when either are use with a suppressor and sub-sonic ammo. My P22 eats just about any ammo I've ran through, especially sub ammo(Gemtech is my Fav). The Ruger, beside some FTF issues(normal), didn't like some of the Winchester and Remington ammo I tried. The other 4 brands functioned flawlessly, and had 0 FTF or duds with Norma, Federal or Fiocchi.

Both pistols are great for intro/training purposes, and a hoot for plinking. Good luck with your choice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join