It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie, time travel and space travel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've just watched yet another time travel movie. And in all movies of this kind, I never got the answer of how you can stay in the same position on the earth will travelling toward an another time in historie. Just imagine, calculate the earth position in the whole space how it can be hard!

Let's start easy, in which referential the time machine will move? You cannot be teleported to the exact point you where, or else, you'll be in void. So let's say that the traveler still influenced by the gravity, and follow the mass allong the "rewind" process (so the machine stay in position toward earth). To still be affected by the gravity, the traveller must have a mass, and his mass can be influenced by the rest of the world. This hes bad for our time traveller.

So, can we find a magic speed so you still be influenced by higg boson, and not by the other?

Right now, we probably move at the speed of light for the absolute 0 velocity. Does a 0 velocity exist? I think it doesn't for the same reason we cannot go to the speed of light. And my head stop here...

So the problem still. In which referencial a time machine would move? Can you provide me a good (or funny) theorie?
edit on 5-9-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2015 by PersonneX because: typo: is to his -> no native english speaker writting

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Given that the time traveler is in a movie, I would think that the point is entertainment. Not scientific accuracy.

But, even given that: knowing how fast the Earth is spinning and orbiting the sun, and how fast and what direction the sun is moving through the galaxy, AND how fast and what direction the galaxy is moving through the universe, if one had a powerful enough computer, I would imagine one would be able to extrapolate exactly where one would need to be depending on the date in order to still be in the same position after traveling through time.

Of course this means not only moving through time, but the traveler will need a means to move through space also.

For me the answer is obvious: since we're talking about entertainment.......just hitch a ride with the Doctor in the TARDIS

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I've always just assumed that since gravity and time correlate, being in a gravity well ties you to that well; no need to compute galactic coordinates or such.

In terms of movies, anyway.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yea, this is for entertaining. Thinking about how the people in the storie menage to conceive the new thing is one side of the science fiction entertainment. No bad answer, just a thinking exercice.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Many, if not most, of the creations from the t.v. show Star Trek have now seen reality. They were entertainment with the possibility of being.

Mr. Rodenberry was a man before his time.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I believe its possible to time travel.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Lets look at this idea. A larger mass slow the time down. If you go in the futur, you will slow yourself down, does you win in mass? What appen to your mass if you reverse time?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
**DOUBLE POST**

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PersonneX

I don't think time is what people think it is, but just to play along: for a time machine you wouldn't be jumping back in time, but more of traveling backwards - so you need a dynamic equation for positioning. (Instead of trying to go from z to a in one move, you would go z,y,x,w,etc. until you got to a, all the while mapping your position in real-time.)

But that's not the hard part. The hard part is how to stabilize yourself. We are constantly trading elements and forces with the things around us, so we need to figure out a way to create stabilization of our own elements. e.g. If you went back in time 2 days, you wouldn't lose the forces you became the 2 days prior when you ate, breathed, or anything else from just being alive. So how would you keep yourself from destabilizing and what happens to all the particles you should did become? Would you also be subject to reverse-aging? I think so, so there is at least that limitation: you cannot go back further than the age of the machine -- and maybe no further back than when you first activated it. In effect, I guess, it would be more like a time freezer, at most, unless you solve for destabilization.

And from here, I'll let someone else play.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

You got a good swing!

Energy balance! Good one!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Same thing that happens if you teleport from latitude to another: inertial dampeners kick in, saving you from being smooshed into a pile of jelly.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ah: but here is the rub.

You all are assuming that gravity will still affect you while time traveling.

That's a BIG assumption, in that: you're assuming what the method of time travel is and any effects that might happen while time traveling.

We know that everything in the universe is in motion in reference to our own time frame. We know how gravity is affecting mass in our time frame.

However, before you can say how gravity will (or will not) affect someone who is traveling in time, do we not need to figure out the means of time travel in the first place?

My point: I want to go from here to the moon. We know one way of doing it that works, involving chemical rockets, orbital mechanics and the effects of being in space on humans.

What if instead I want to travel to the center of the Earth? Well, we do have a lot of ideas and theories about what one might find on our travel there, reasons for why it's impossible (for now), etc.

So that's what I'm getting at: how is the person traveling in time? Relativistic speeds? Intense gravity fields? (both of which are one way trips into the future due to time dilation). Worm holes? (does the mass of an object outside a worm hole effect what is in the worm hole? or just the worm hole?).

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
So that's what I'm getting at: how is the person traveling in time?

Step one: Get into your Delorean.
Step two: Turn on flux capacitor, set date.
Step three: Hit 88 mph and see some serious stuff.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I don't think mass outside a worm hole would affect what's inside it. Just like with interstellar travel, but instead of bending space to arrive at a new location, you're bending time to arrive at a different when.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I had this theory awhile back and it seemed to shut everyone up on the theory of time travel. Imagine the crazy algorithm it would take to put you right back where you wanted to be, right at that exact time.
edit on 5-9-2015 by Toolman18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I've have an idea for a movie I call Time War II. The premise is that time travel is possible, but only safe with a transmitter / receiver setup. You could step into a transmitter and go forward or backward to any time that has a receiver. Otherwise, as you point out, you could wind up in deep space or in the middle of an asteroid, etc.

In Time War I, warring factions were trying to control the earliest receiver. If you can control the earliest receiver, you could wipe out your opposition by making sure they never existed. The problem was that all sides knew the temporal location of the first receiver. As soon as it was created, strike teams and assassins suddenly came through and no one really gains control.

In Time War II, the warring factions try to go beyond the receiver. Some groups try to use super computers to calculate safe time / space coordinates to send people before the first receiver, so they can construct a receiver before the first receiver is created. Other groups search the historical record for events that would have a temporal signature similar to a receiver, like maybe a fusion bomb or a particle accelerator, or whatever.

Through out the movie, the future changes in both subtle and major ways as time traveling teams jockey for an advantage. Maybe as a plot twist, someone could detect a receiver signature at 4 million years BC.

------

Throw in some sharks and tornadoes and I could probably sell the idea to the SciFi channel.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Sounds like a pretty solid low budget sci-fi flick. Definitely something that would pique my interest on Netflix!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

What's the name of the movie?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Thanks! I forgot to mention an important element. For very sound and scientific reasons, the time machines can only transport coeds in bikinis. You know how science is.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Throw in that it is powered by bacon and I think you've got a winner.

Wait.....

Beer and Bacon!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
On the same day they invented the Atomic bomb they also invented time travel.

The Scientists go to Truman and tell him that they have invented this terrible new weapon. A single bomb that can destroy an entire city, but they have also invented Time Travel.

Truman tells them He _has_ to know who wins the war, before he will drop such a terrible weapon.

So One of the Scientists is sent to the future to see who wins the war.

They turn on the machine, and from their perspective it is instant, the Scientist jumps out of the machine screaming like a mad man. "Drop the Bomb! We've got to drop the Bomb. Tell Truman to drop the bomb."

"Why? What happened?"
"What did you see?" The Scientists all ask.

"Well... I was in a farmers field somewhere in Iowa or somewhere. And there was a Tractor. And the name was Mitsubishi."

So they dropped the bomb.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 6-9-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

<<   2 >>

join