It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie, time travel and space travel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
a reply to: PersonneX

What's the name of the movie?

I'm guessing it's Project Almanac. I watched it recently and enjoyed it. A lot of people tend to criticize it for the bad science it contains but I actually think they did a half-decent job for a time travel movie. The bit about using the parallel processing power of an xbox graphics card to calculate the wormhole structure was smart. Also, having to power the worm hole generator with a lot of energy, such as the electric car battery they used, is also realistic because it takes a huge amount of energy to warp space time. Even the way the objects in the room lift up and start rotating could be explained by miniature space time whirlpools or eddy currents in a larger rotating wormhole. Of course there were a lot of nonsensical things in the movie but there were some clever things in their too.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I think the xbox was also used to calculated the destination of the worm hole so they wouldn't end up stuck inside a wall. In their first real time travel experiment where they send the toy car back in time it gets stuck in a wall, so they must have realized that was a problem and figured it out.
edit on 6/9/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
They could make one hell of a John Titor movie.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Neat! This is a pettry good idea as a device (and movie to)!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I did not mention the movie because there are quite a few, and none try this exercice.
Worst, they change the name of the movie were I live.
edit on 6-9-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: PersonneX

Time travel requires a fifth dimension, another type of time, so that there is a relative time speed, time-travelled/time-experienced. A question is where in three dimensions is your time travel device during the period you are exercising it? The concept of departing the current stream of time does not mean you are departing the three locational dimensions.

I don't watch time travel movies as they are too conceptually silly. Less silly ones have a fixed location for the time travel device, and allow travel through time only within the confines of the device. Still silly though.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

You know, the big problem of the referential being outside earth is, where it is... What is our speed in the referential of this point in space. And to start the question, does an absolute 0 speed existe?
edit on 6-9-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Actually to calculate ones position for time travel.

One has to take in to effect that the:

Planet is in motion/ rotation.

The planet orbit.

The solar system is in motion.

The galaxy is in motion.

The universe is in motion.

And the gravitational effects of the above.

and the math for that doesn't exist.

Right ?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And a whole lot more. It would really suck to materialize someplace and wind up with a sapling growing through your foot or a bee in your brain. You could try to materialize in space but there is no way to account for every random rock flying around.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

In other words it's complicated as hell.

And no one has the answer.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

A transmitter / receiver setup would do the trick. But you would have to incorporate a buffer in the receiver in case two people tried to go back to the exact same time.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I thought that was taken care of with the 'no two objects can occupy the same space'.

Second.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join