It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Judge tosses coin for tug-of-love child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
When the separated parents of an Italian 5 year old were unable to decide who�s house the child would spend Christmas at, they appealed to a local judge. Much to their surprise, the judge elected to toss a coin to determine the winner. The mother won the toss and the boy spent Christmas with her.

story.news.yahoo.com
ROME (Reuters) - When the separated parents of a five-year old Italian boy could not agree whose house he should stay at over Christmas, a judge settled the dispute by tossing a coin, an Italian newspaper has reported.

The squabbling couple took their argument to a family disputes court a few days before Christmas and were surprised when the judge, who said there was not enough time to convene the tribunal, tossed a two-euro coin for "heads-or-tails".

"I did it in the interest of the child," Judge Carlo Alberto Agnoli was quoted as saying in Italy's leading daily newspaper Corriere della Sera on Thursday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very sad. Two parents arguing and squabbling over what for me as a child was the most important holiday. In this case I think the judge did what was right. Why drag the kid through a length court session simply because the parents can�t get along. I feel bad for the dad, but no doubt it will be his turn next year.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I read an ex children's court judge's thoughts on this kind of matter recently and I totally agreed with her.

Get over the squabbling and stop trying to decide what's best for you, think of the child, ask the child WHO they would like to spend christmas with and if it isn't you get over it, its about the child's christmas not yours.....

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
elected to toss a coin to decide the winner?
Um: judge
v. judged, judg�ing, judg�es
v. tr.

1. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration: judge heights; judging character.
1. Law. To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case.
2. Obsolete. To pass sentence on; condemn.
3. To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: judge an essay contest.
3. To determine or declare after consideration or deliberation.
4. Informal. To have as an opinion or assumption; suppose: I judge you're right.
5. Bible. To govern; rule. Used of an ancient Israelite leader.

Isnt it his JOB to make a decision, and not the coin's?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
So we have three people now deciding this kids christmas. His ma, his pa and now the judge.

Did anyone think to ask the little tyke what he wanted to do ..and what's wrong with morning at mums with lunch then dinner at dads.

You are correct, a judge is to judge after careful consideration and no bias. It seems the descion was made to suit himself and a sick sense of humour, not the parents and certainly not the child.

That poor kid, what a miserable christmas.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It sounds like the judge DID make a decision. To use the coin. And to me it says that he, like myself, see the real issue of the child's welfare was the bickering, the fact it had come all the way to court to be decided.

What a trival thing to be wasting the court's time with.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I would have taken the child into another room and asked him who he wanted to spend Christmas with, then tailored my judgment on that.
My neice is the same age and she certainly has her own opinions.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
it seems to be forgotten that children of this age do have a voice and their opinions should not be discounted based on their age. Unfortunately, that's like the case a lot of time, particularly if the adult(s) involved disagree (for example, one or the other is hurt by the childs choice) and this is what it leads to.

They should act as adults. In doing so there shouldn't be a need to involve the courts to decide where the kid is going to spend Christmas. It's just stupid. Hell, why not just spend have the day with Mom, and half the day with Dad?

top topics

join