It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Francis Xavier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

The most important teachings of the modern world is to look at it from St: Francis Xavier outlook; By these three Creeds

- Enthusiasm
- Passion-driven achievement
- Openness to the influence of others

St. Francis Xavier
A Modern View of His Life and Work

St. Francis Xavier, one of St. Ignatius Loyola's closest friends and an original founding companion of the Society of Jesus, is most honored by the Catholic Church, other Christian churches, and the Jesuit order for his missionary accomplishments particularly in India, Southeast Asia and Japan. He was born in 1506 in the family castle in the Basque region of northern Spain, the fifth and youngest child of noble, wealthy, and pious parents.

At the age of nineteen years, and after completing preliminary course of studies, he left home permanently, bound for the University of Paris. By thirty years of age, he had earned a Master of Arts degree in philosophy, taught the subject for four years and then studied theology for two years.

While studying at the University, Ignatius Loyola, who was a fellow student, became an increasingly important influence on Xavier. So much so that, despite early reluctance, Xavier eventually made the Spiritual Exercises under his direction. In August of 1534, he joined Ignatius and five other companions in pronouncing vows. Together, Xavier and Ignatius were ordained priests in 1537. In the following year, Xavier went to Rome to share in the discussions that led to the formal founding of the Society of Jesus. Upon approval, Xavier served as the secretary of the Society until leaving for India in 1541.

His missionary travels took him to many places around the world. In fact, Xavier was the only original companion to leave Europe. He traveled from Rome to Lisbon, Portugal and then to India. Along the way, he assisted in many previously established missions; including those in Mozambique and Melindi (Kenya) Africa, Socotra (an island off the coast of Somalia), and Goa (a district on the west coast of India, and the main Portuguese center) and other communities in the southern coastal areas.

In 1549, Xavier began the first Christian mission in Japan where he served in the country for over two years. In 1552, he set sail to begin the first Christian mission in China. When he arrived, however, he was not allowed to disembark on the Mainland. For three months, he waited on an island off of Canton while trying to gain entry into the country. He died on the island of an acute illness at the age of forty-six. Xavier was canonized by Gregory XV on March 12, 1622, at the same time as Ignatius Loyola.

St. Xavier ranks among the greatest missionaries in Christian history. Historians place the number of baptisms at roughly 30,000 people; lore cites numbers up to 100,000. Today, such missionary accomplishments may be challenging to appreciate in light of present day plurality, cultural relativism, and global engagement, yet a great deal can be learned from Xavier in the way he conducted his life and work with meaning and purpose

These three qualities of St. Francis Xavier are reflected in a description of him written by a companion: I have never met anyone more filled with faith and hope, more open-minded than Francis. He never seems to lose his great joy and enthusiasm. He talks to both the good and the bad. Anything he is asked to do, Francis does willingly, simply because he loves everyone.

Do you think he was right or wrong?
edit on 1-9-2015 by yulka because: image

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: yulka

Regardless of my opinion on church dogma, there are many great men of God who have been part of institutionalized religion. And he is one of those great men in my humble opinion.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Luther a great man of God caused many deaths inadvertently, Calvin another great man probably started apartheid and many cults as well, Popes of Catholicism are for the best part dictators of evil

Was Francis Xavier any better

No most likely just another evil man.
Francis Xavier was born on April 7, 1506 in Spain and had come to Goa in 1542, for christian conversion activities. Frustrated by his failures in Goa, Francis Xavier wrote to King D. João III of Portugal, for an Inquisition to be installed in Goa. Vatican authorized and established inquisition in 1560 in Goa. . The inhuman torture of local population by the christian fanatics resulted in significant sections of the Hindu population to migrate from Goa to Mangalore

krishnaj.blogspot.com.au...

Your heroes are just mere men

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

We are all men, when making a story and use reference to other stories which arent verified you could make a story mostly about anything. Hate and fear usually brings stories about about things which arent true.

A gypsy is a witch?

So Raggedyman anything can come true when you trust anyones word.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: yulka

We are all men, when making a story and use reference to other stories which arent verified you could make a story mostly about anything. Hate and fear usually brings stories about about things which arent true.

A gypsy is a witch?

So Raggedyman anything can come true when you trust anyones word.

Ohh sorry.
Didnt realise that this mere man was something worth worshipping.

History loves to cover lies, if what I have referenced is wrong please let me know. What I have studied leads me to believe he doesnt come up smelling roses and the Saint Hood bestowed on him is better left to Higher Powers to decide.

Gypsy, witch, who cares, Christians are not to cause harm or conflict in the world.
He strikes me an evil man.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Worship is what you make of it, if you are a man of science, Georges Lemaître was a man of God, yet he dictated big bang. Do you believe in the state, many wars have been fought for the simple terms of freedom and democracy. What i know and you have studied will never be the same thing, your world is created for you. True knowledge comes from a empty slate.
Nature doesnt pick its side.

The ones i meet who think they are the smartest always come up as the ones who are, how do i say it in simple terms. Quite the opposite.

Knowledge means very little when you dont understand it.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: yulka

Worship is what you make of it, if you are a man of science, Georges Lemaître was a man of God, yet he dictated big bang. Do you believe in the state, many wars have been fought for the simple terms of freedom and democracy. What i know and you have studied will never be the same thing, your world is created for you. True knowledge comes from a empty slate.
Nature doesnt pick its side.

The ones i meet who think they are the smartest always come up as the ones who are, how do i say it in simple terms. Quite the opposite.

Knowledge means very little when you dont understand it.

I agree

Hence why I challenged your somewhat restricted view of a man

One thing I can guarantee beyond all other things, one thing I know and can count on as pure truth, al men are evil.
Never mind his title or history, he was an evil man who done evil things

The ones I meet who others think are the greatest, wisest or christian in this circumstance, are most often not

What yoiu accuse me of is what you are doing

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I think Mother Theresa was a great person, yet there is always someone who contradicts. I think Charlie Chaplin was a great actor, yet someone will think otherwise. You make a definition between good and evil based on your ideals. Do you think the person who takes refuge, is evil when he comes to land, just cause his ideals are based differently?
Do you think a father is evil when he puts his child on water? The answer is when the uncharted water is safer than the land they come from. The privileged ones always make stories to hold firmly to what they have.

join