It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Rebels attempt to take U.S. post 25 insurgents killed trying to overrun GIs at Mosul site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Insurgents attempted to overrun a U.S. outpost in Mosul today and paid a heavy price. At least 25 insurgents were killed and an unknown number wounded. The U.S. military reported 15 wounded. This attack followed an ambush that killed 7 members of an elite Iraqi police group when a bomb detonated in the house they were raiding.

sfgate.com
Baghdad -- U.S. troops and warplanes killed at least 25 insurgents who used car bombs and rocket-propelled grenades to try to overrun a U.S. combat outpost in Mosul on Wednesday afternoon, the U.S. military said. It was the fiercest fighting the restive northern city has seen in weeks.

Fifteen U.S. soldiers were wounded, military officials said.

The two-hour battle followed an ambush Tuesday night in Baghdad where insurgents tricked Iraqi police into raiding a booby-trapped home and then detonated a powerful bomb that killed at least seven police officers and 25 others, Iraqi officials said Wednesday. Most of the civilian victims were family members who were crushed to death when the blast flattened nearby homes, the officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is going to get a lot worse as the elections get closer. I fear that this type of attack will become an everyday occurrence. No doubt the problems will remain after the elections, but at least it�s a step in the right direction. Also forces seized a commander of a group affiliated with terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. No doubt information will be attained from this individual.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Whether it was advance notice, superior training, or higher firepower, it's good to see that the attack failed at a heavy cost to the insurgency, given their many acts of terror recently.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Whether it was advance notice, superior training, or higher firepower, it's good to see that the attack failed at a heavy cost to the insurgency, given their many acts of terror recently.

It was surperior firepower plus the bombloads of 2 F/A-18's and 2 F-14's Go navy!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I fear that this type of attack will become an everyday occurrence

IMO, 25 dead insurgent combatants deals a heavy blow to the Iraqi resistance side of this war (
). I fear they will now revise strategy, no longer engage in head on combat, something our US forces prefer as oppose to suicide terror, guerilla warfare, booby traps etc.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yep, at least the insurgents came off a lot worse on that one.

I agree that attacks against the coalition troops and Iraqi security forces will increase leading up to the elections. Also, I imagine polling day will be a pretty dangerous day for pretty much anyone.

I'm sure the polling stations will get hit pretty hard. A few massive car bombs early in the day will put off voters. Hell, we don't vote in the UK if it rains on election day.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, don't want to wander off-topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Actually I am very surprised that they took the heads on approach. Its seems the hit and run is a better way to go and draw the U.S. forces out. To attack a fortified position is not exactly career enhancing.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I can only assume they thought they could overrun the post, and get some hostages / headlines / whatever. Maybe it was intended as a suicide mission, which in the end it was for a lot of them.

I know it's old old news, but it gave me a wry smile when I heard it: A recent interpretation of the martyrdom texts has concluded that a martyr does not receive 72 virgins in the afterlife at all - it's 72 RAISINS!!!

How disappointing - unless they really love raisins ofcourse. LOL

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Why haven't I seen this on Al-Jazeera, or posted by Souljah?

I think that the insurgants got a bit bold after their recent succesfull ambushes of lightly armoured iraqi policeman and the sneaky attack on the us mess.

that's something different than taking head on heavy machinegun fire and arial bombardments. Definately eat dust for the insurgants, but on the other hand it could showthat the insurgants are getting more confidence to try stuff like this, others would could it an act of desperation, it all depends through what glasses you look at the war.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The number of killed insurgents has hit 26. ALso they made an attempt to ram a truck filled with a half ton of explosives into the post with the attack.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents tried to ram a truck with half a ton of explosives into a U.S. military post in the northern city of Mosul on Thursday then ambushed reinforcements in a huge gunbattle in which 25 rebels and one American soldier were killed. Warplanes fired missiles and strafed gunmen during the fight.

The assault on the outpost, which U.S. soldiers finally repulsed, appeared to be better coordinated than past attacks, with guerrillas apparently pulling out their strongest assaults in an effort to derail Jan. 30 elections, U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Paul Hastings said.

Attack

top topics

join