It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army kicking out decorated Green Beret who stood up for Afghan rape victim

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This story reminds me of the way the Army treated CWO Hugh Thompson. He was the helo pilot who landed his machine so as to block Lt. Calley's troops from pursuing the peasants who were fleeing from My Lai, thereby preventing more deaths and carnage.

Thompson was a career officer, but after that incident he was marginalized and vilified within the service and was never promoted again. He did the right thing, the moral thing, and the system punished him.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

Perhaps because said system ORDERED the event ala Col Kurtz.
Then got in trouble as some got away and shut it up.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Let me explain this to you: THE MILITARY DOES NOT CARE WHO GETS HURT. Hurting people is their primary deal, and holding back is a liability.

Friend of mine got gangraped by her husband's squadmates. His officers told him that their investigation showed it was consensual and that he should leave his wife and keep his mouth shut.

Female troops in Iraq were being raped by male soldiers in the bathrooms in Iraq. Base commander told women not to go to the bathroom at night anymore.

The military is about violent dominance of other people. So is rape. They go together like peas and carrots, and if you start trying to separate them, you're going to have soldiers with different ideas of where the line is turning on eachother- better to tell them all there are no lines and let them turn their full force on anyone who doesn't bow to America- that's how the brass sees it.

If you're WTFing why a green beret stops at "shoving" somebody who is a clear and present danger to friendly non-combatants, it's because he knew ahead of time that killing that cop would have got him a murder rap. He could have killed the kid no problem of course, as long as it was an accident, but never stand against somebody who is hurting people to scare them away from opposing America.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

As I posted this it obviously concerns me. And some other posts would confirm that. I am sorry what happened to your friend but as with about any subject throwing around blanket statements normally is inaccurate. I can honestly say despite some of my issues with the military they never once taught me to be violent nor any of the people I served with. They taught me to use weapons and technology that can be used in violent acts. But they did not teach me to be violent. It could have something to do with my MOS. Despite any complaints I do have,being taught to be violent wasn't one of them. Making blanket statements they do that is inaccurate. There are violent people everywhere, including the military. Sure some probably join seeing it as an outlet. Maybe in some areas of service it is encouraged, accepted. I can only speak from what I experienced. Maybe rethink that statement

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

I asked to see the Chaplain after pushing another recruit half way out the barracks window by the throat for talking trash, and had the DI tell me, "So, you're a damn killer, I made you one. You wanna see the Chaplain, tell me when you actually lose control and hurt somebody".

The military hurts people and it doesn't hold back- that's my experience and that's what the media reports bear out. I can't call the fact that some people had good days too proof that there are innocent corners of the military. EVERY unit is that unit in the right conditions on the right day.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

When you say military that encompasses all of it. Just never saw it myself. Beyond I freely admit we would get drunk and things got rowdy from time to time. Nothing like rape , mass mureder, etc ever crossed my mind. Can't truely see it being sanctioned or accepted even at the battalion level. For all the faults we had, just wasn't in our make up as people. Again not saying depending on circumstances, MOS, units, it doesn't happen. Just not the military ie the whole, or all of it.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

You're saying that the Colonel ordered the Lt. to scorch the village and kill the women and children?

Whether he did or not, CWO Thompson saved a few lives that day, and called off the madness.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If you're into books, you should consider reading Philip Zimbardo's "The Lucifer Effect".

I think you're very right in your posts. The Dogs of War were let loose by Dubya.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Salander

The call for that would have been a spook or higher to subdue the village by disappaering them ,we did this in South America too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join