It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hi.

I may have an obsessive compulsive disorder but I don’t think my condition is extreme.

To introduce myself I confess I wash my hands a lot.
I wash my hands after I use the restroom. If I touch another person I wash my hands as soon as possible. At unusual times I feel the need to wash my hands.

One time during sex I stopped to go was....that's a lie.

(I did excuse myself to go wash my hands almost immediately afterward.)

People are dirty.

I have witnessed men who use a toilet and then exit a restroom without washing their hands!
I don’t stand in front of a basin scrubbing my hands but I do clean a.s.a.p.

This is asking about compulsive behaviours.
My behaviour is obvious are you compulsive about anything? Do you have a "quirk"?

Please share.

tc!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

It could be a lot worse. You could be like Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets. He has to have a fresh bar of soap each time he washes his hands.

Plus, he has that counting thing. That, and he can't step on cracks, has to have the same waitress, and uses his own plastic utensils. So, don't feel bad.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I watched that movie. I can relate to the soap thing although I'm not nearly as extreme.

Some people r crazy.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have a problem with dirty computer screens.

But other than that i'm good.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I have a dear friend that suffers severely. It's sad, yet sometimes funny. For example: When he gets dressed in the morning he takes his pants on and off (in a freakishly fast manner) anywhere from 7-15 times before he's actually done.

When he eats, he believes there are "evil pieces" that he will set aside and not touch.

That's just a few, for you.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

I don't want to make a joke of the disorder it was not my intention.

When I say I have a compulsion I'm serious. I don't think it's a phobia of germs as much as just wanting my hands to be clean.

I don't know, I'm just a freak but I'm okay.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I didn't mean it as a joke and I know you didn't either. My friend that has it finds it to be amusing sometimes and he tends to take advantage of the situation, which is what I find to be funny. No offense to him or anyone that has OCD. I've got my own little quirks as well

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Do you have a fixation on counting things or repeating activities a certain number of times "just to be sure"?

I used to count every cracker I ate, how many times i chewed it, AND to make it worse I also needed to have a sip of water every 2 crackers/bites/etc.

Counting the steps I take walking to and from places, how many times I brush each quadrant of teeth in my mouth, how many times i went back and forth while flossing, etc. etc.

How many tiles there are on the floor or number of lights in a hallway - I always wanted to count things and if they came out in an odd number it would get to me and I'd have to "compensate" somehow by counting something else that did come out to an even number!

Now I use weight lifting and nutrition to get all of that counting/numbers out of my system - I count my macros (carbohydrates, fats, proteins), how often I am eating (every 3 hours or so), and working out provides me with Plenty of examples for counting/numbers (different weights, number of repetitions, number of sets, duration of time, etc. etc.)

I guess I still have OCD but it doesn't get in the way of normal day-to-day responsibilities now.

edit on 19-8-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ummm, my OCD tells me that there should be a comma between "Disorder" and "anyone?" in your title.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Ummm, my OCD tells me that there should be a comma between "Disorder" and "anyone?" in your title.

Really?

Hmm...I think you may be wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Meh. Either way, it is a headline, and having had to actually write newspaper headlines a few moons ago, punctuation and all that doesn't really matter--nor does the fact that, both ways, it would be a sentence fragment anyhow.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I don't count things to the extreme you described but at times when I'm bored I have a tendency to count ceiling tiles or people or whatever is available.

As far as counting how many times I chew or how many steps I take or any of the other things you described I would say no. I'm not crazy!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
I have witnessed men who use a toilet and then exit a restroom without washing their hands!

A Harvard graduate and a Yale graduate both used the restroom. The Yale graduate did not wash his hands.

The Harvard graduate said, "At Harvard they teach us to wash our hands after urinating."

The Yale graduate said, "At Yale they teach us to not urinate on our hands."

Seriously, your hands are dirtier. Yes, you have OCD. You can take a pill and make it at least better, hopefully enough so that you do not make those around you miserable.
edit on 8/19/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

funnie.

I would rather go to Harvard.

(I understand the joke.)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have OCD. I wash my hands a lot,also counting,not everything but some things. I used to be bad about flipping light switches on and off. I have learned to control most of my "little habits". It happens more when I'm worried or nervous about something.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hey OP, i started a thread back in 2012, ill add the link for information and experiences of myself and other ATS members.

ATS - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
edit on 8/19/2015 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
a reply to: FamCore

I don't count things to the extreme you described but at times when I'm bored I have a tendency to count ceiling tiles or people or whatever is available.

As far as counting how many times I chew or how many steps I take or any of the other things you described I would say no. I'm not crazy!

Hey, you callin me crazy!?
lol that's okay, I would agree

join