It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Underground on strike again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Getting a bit much do you think?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

I suspect you weren't around in the early 1970's when we had one hell of a lot of strikes. It was one of the cosiest times in both main line and tube because we were all so crowded in. I am glad not to be doing it again this time round.

The government is making life hard here to pay for its mistakes and wars. Its not fair for the workers to have to suffer, especially when politicians award themselves pay rises regularly. I hope their future awards reflect those they are imposing on the working folk.

I suspect many may think its time for the government to rethink some of its sacred protectionist policies and do something for the people, as its hard to differentiate between exploitative companies and an exploitative government.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Actually... I remember the general strikes of the '70's. Candle makers did well for themselves.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yes, they know they can cause utter chaos in the city and they take everyone hostage on a whim. Everyone else is just trying to do their jobs.

It is stupidity like this that destroyed the unions in Britain. They will not gain public backing by it. If they push it too far then laws will be made to stop them in their tracks (pardon the pun). Yet more draconian legislation because of misuse of the right to industrial action. They have it better than any other of the transport industry already.

It is too much of a necessary public service to be constantly sabotaged like this. They always do it at times when it will inflict the most mayhem, too.

If all the other industries did this then it would not be out of place. Most unions don't do this now. They find other means of dealing with issues. These guys are always doing it. They stick out like a sore thumb.

edit on 11-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I suspect you weren't around in the early 1970's when we had one hell of a lot of strikes. It was one of the cosiest times in both main line and tube because we were all so crowded in. I am glad not to be doing it again this time round.

The government is making life hard here to pay for its mistakes and wars. Its not fair for the workers to have to suffer, especially when politicians award themselves pay rises regularly. I hope their future awards reflect those they are imposing on the working folk.

I suspect many may think its time for the government to rethink some of its sacred protectionist policies and do something for the people, as its hard to differentiate between exploitative companies and an exploitative government.

You do know that tube drivers earn an average of £50K don't you? Why are you blaming politicians and not perhaps looking at the unions looking to inconvenience the public as blackmail to squeeze more money?

BTW, politicians don't award themselves pay rises, they can't. It's IPSA that sets the wage of an MP and they are independent from government.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Yes, they know they can cause utter chaos in the city and they take everyone hostage on a whim. Everyone else is just trying to do their jobs.

It is stupidity like this that destroyed the unions in Britain. They will not gain public backing by it. If they push it too far then laws will be made to stop them in their tracks (pardon the pun). Yet more draconian legislation because of misuse of the right to industrial action. They have it better than any other of the transport industry already.

It is too much of a necessary public service to be constantly sabotaged like this. They always do it at times when it will inflict the most mayhem, too.

If all the other industries did this then it would not be out of place. Most unions don't do this now. They find other means of dealing with issues. These guys are always doing it. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, and guess what ........... this is no "show of hands" strike like used to happen in the 70's. This has been put forward to the members who have voted on it, obviously they feel strongly about the issue or they would not have voted to strike. ANYONE with an ounce of sense could follow the issue, find out the result AND the planned date for the disruption, then, made plans for the disruption that it is BOUND to cause (if it directly affects them). I live South West so personally could not give a Flying F, however, as a Union Member (AUEW/ AMICUS / Unite ......whatever they want to call themselves this week) i will ALWAYS stand buy any Union Member when it comes to their decisions. They have a right to strike but because of Thatcher, have to give notice.

Unlike the French who just drop tools at any old whim, set fire to tyres, blockade ports, and cause mayhem in the South of England because of the likes of operation Stack.

Power to the People (Citizen Smith quote ...... google it young'un)

Cya

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Heaven forbid people actually stand up for what they believe and practice their right to free speech.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

originally posted by: Revolution9

Yeah, and guess what ........... this is no "show of hands" strike like used to happen in the 70's. This has been put forward to the members who have voted on it, obviously they feel strongly about the issue or they would not have voted to strike. ANYONE with an ounce of sense could follow the issue, find out the result AND the planned date for the disruption, then, made plans for the disruption that it is BOUND to cause (if it directly affects them). I live South West so personally could not give a Flying F, however, as a Union Member (AUEW/ AMICUS / Unite ......whatever they want to call themselves this week) i will ALWAYS stand buy any Union Member when it comes to their decisions. They have a right to strike but because of Thatcher, have to give notice.

Unlike the French who just drop tools at any old whim, set fire to tyres, blockade ports, and cause mayhem in the South of England because of the likes of operation Stack.

Power to the People (Citizen Smith quote ...... google it young'un)

Cya

Yes, Arthur
. Well at the end of the day democracy is democracy.

It has a well bad effect on the economy. This strike today will cost London business £300, 000, 000. That is coupled with all the extra stress for commuters who are already overworked and their lives will be that much more miserable today. Also, it will be the commuters who have to pay more for their fares, already very costly travel expenses, to fund anything the union is asking. Always the service user that pays in the end.

A vote is a vote, though, and I will never dispute a democratic decision. I just think they can be a bit selfish when there are so many other workers who have much better reasons to protest their wages and work conditions. Nowadays, a job on the underground is quality employment.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Am all for it, I use the tube almost daily but don't mind the inconvenience at all. It is the only effective way of voicing dissent within the parameters laid out by the system so of course they're going to be demonised. The question shouldn't be why are they striking, it's why aren't you?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's a constant struggle to maintain such good working benefits

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Independent pretty much in name only, it's chaired by senior establishment figures like Sir Ian Kennedy, Sir Christopher Rose, Martin Sinclair and Cindy Butts. If you dig into their backgrounds you'll find they're not impartial or independent at all.

The CCSP investigation team is made up entirely of sitting MPs.

The whole thing is a joke.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Political motivation aside, right to strike with it; the people who suffer this BS are the public/commuter. And, to be frank, we're sick of this $hit3.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
But it is politically motivated and as for passengers suffering THAT'S THE POINT. If nobody suffered there would be no power for the strike it would be useless. It's the trouble and strife that comes from a strike that gives the unions the power to try(notice I said try) and get what they want.
I think the majority of you that's moaning about the strikes have never been in a strong union to have them fight for your better wages and working conditions, because if you have you would understand the reasons and methodology of why and how strikes come about.
Do you honestly think these people go on strike to cause trouble for their passengers, if you do then think again.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow Your obviously not Mr Bob Crow?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

So £50K is not enough?

Edit for links.

I'm not the only one who is unhappy (scroll down the pages for readers' comments):

www.theguardian.com...
www.lbc.co.uk...
news.sky.com...
edit on 1282015 by MrCrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

No, but some mornings I feel like I've risen from the grave

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow50k is definitely not enough to live in London or the SE. It's also not a massive inconvenience if the busses are still running and the weathers reasonably pleasant although due to deteriorate tomorrow. Who wants to be on a stuffy tube anyway, depending where you live in London if the busses are working and you have two legs, no where is that far that it's impossible to get to.

edit on 12-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Hmm. Not so sure about that.

www.cityam.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow that city am article claims
Pay in London is much higher than anywhere else, so not sure what your point is? That's because cost of living is so high

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Oh Dear they earn 50K a year!

How about the huge responsibility for peoples lives in the job they do? What about the hours they work and its dank environment? You don't mention overtime which is likely to make their money up. Would you like to spend your working life under ground as most of them do except for parts that are above etc. You forget its quite a dangerous job also.

Obviously you don't think skilled workers should be paid to reflect the job they do. Clearly they should be content with what they get. Don't you see that by pushing up wages and improving conditions etc those at tne bottom should ultimately benefit as improvements percolate down? Do you just want to maintain the status quo whilst inflation etc continually moved us the cost of living especially on essentials as well as the cost of living in London with a family?

Don't you think that the IPSA gets its salaries set by politicians, its scratch my back and I will scratch yours. We won't touch of their expenses we wouldn't dare unless you think the tube drivers get expenses like our politicians also.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join