It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an "Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The only way to fix the government in Washington is to start with your local government. Elect representatives from your community that you know and move them up the chain of command.
This would take at least a decade to accomplish but would also require every state to do this.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You don't.

Not when they are the ones making the rules.

How can you win any game when the rules are constantly rewritten by the people winning?

That sounds surprisingly like something Bernie has said:

This is a rigged economy, which works for the rich and the powerful, and is not working for ordinary Americans …

source

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The only way to fix the government in Washington is to eliminate 98% of it

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

So Bernie and I think alike.

Great.

Don't know whether to be honored or sad for the country when a politician thinks the same as me.
edit on 31-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think by removing the Dems & Reps, we would almost be there.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

That is hard to do, as we know our nations is run by those two elite political parties, they are not going to go away calmly and quietly.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

That is hard to do, as we know our nations is run by those two elite political parties, they are not going to go away calmly and quietly.

Thats for sure.

IMO the only way I see this changing peacefully (which is very unlikely) is for INDIVIDUAL Democrats AND Republicans to temporarily put their difference aside and join forces .

They should be protesting TOGETHER in forces and DEMAND that THE ONLY issue to be discussed and targeted is corruption and lobbying.

But the masses love their party like if it was a sports team and they won't put their bias to the sideline.

edit on 58731America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jul 2015 10:58:44 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Make in person, private lobbying illegal.

It must be done through a mechanism such as the internet where the request is open to the public and is reviewed by a politician and his/her staff. Since these politicians seem to lose touch with what those they represent, those represented can send feed back about these lobby efforts.

At least people could see when decisions are made that go against the desire of the majority.

In order to make the diehard, old school, lobbyists happy, a text box could be included so the person proposing the idea could enter a dollar amount he/she will contribute to the politician.

Of course it will never happen...
edit on 7/31/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Our political systems is bought and paid for by corporate interests. Everybody with half a brain should know this by now. But unfortunately, we still have a populace who think Trump will have an ear for us hard working Americans. We have voters who are hailing Trump when he is from the same corporate interests who are buying our elected officials! He's not afraid to say anything on his mind because he's sitting on a billion dollar nest egg.

Every election, voters shoot themselves in the foot. All these political candidates are millionaires except for Bernie Sanders. I'm holding out hope for him since he can better relate to the struggles of most Americans.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Make in person, private lobbying illegal.

You don't have to make it illegal but you can use technology to make an even ground for everyone not just the mega corporations.

Very high level gyst: There should be a system where individuals can vote on the issues and regulations that should be focused on by our gov't. Every vote should get equal count and their should be no direct connection to the politicians.

There was a very valid reason for lobbying at one time, but now that time has not only passed but its actually doing worse for us as a country (well at least us individuals not in the .5 top %). We now have the technology to make it better and we should be looking in to it, instead of discussing what politicians think about Caitlyn Jenner.

The reality is that we would have to make this a very slow transition, because in all honesty the people have been lied to for so long and are so ignorant on the facts an how to think for themselves :that things could actually become worse as a nation. There needs to be more focus in gov't,issues, and in history in the education system, before individuals should be given the right to vote on matters.

edit on 19731America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jul 2015 11:19:15 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

All of this reminds me of the abused spouse who defends her husband by saying, "It'll be different this time. He said he wouldn't beat me anymore!"

And we, the American people are that abused spouse. We take the abuser back into the house and everything is fine. Until after the election. Then he starts drinking again and hitting again and beating again.

Because it's for our own good.

Like this?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The Corporatocracy of the United States.
Maybe Bernie or Ron Paul and the American people has something to say about it?
Carter was the only truth teller that was in the position of President during my lifetime.
Obama played it a bit too safe.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

That's brilliant!

(but this time it'll be different, cause. . . Bernie!)

hope n change
hope n change
hope n change

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Pretty much, but it's easier to sit and be arm-chair political scientists and theorists than do anything about it.

The people in control have money, power and infrastructure to keep themselves in power. They've become very deeply entrenched and very good at pacifying the population.

I really don't foresee this changing unless there is a massive natural disaster or alien invasion of some kind.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Maximum term limit 2 terms,no career politicians
Campaign contributions to be anonymous
Nothing of value to be received from lobbyists,lawyers or other special interest representatives
Cannot serve on any board or in any company related to your portfolio after retirement from politics for 5 years.
Cannot serve in any portfolio unless 5 years since been in industry,this should stop Monsanto etc revolving doors.
Cannot profit from insider trading

...how in your country you get measures like the above implemented I dont know but the alternative involves the reason the second amendment is in your constitution

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Pretty much, but it's easier to sit and be arm-chair political scientists and theorists than do anything about it.

The people in control have money, power and infrastructure to keep themselves in power. They've become very deeply entrenched and very good at pacifying the population.

I really don't foresee this changing unless there is a massive natural disaster or alien invasion of some kind.

Our new alien overlords can't get here soon enough.

In my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

There will be a tremendous change as soon as Bush gets sworn in and the New War starts and spirals out of control.

This is the change we can expect. The pattern is established and nothing can change it!!

imo...it's some kind of mystical ritual that has been preordained for some reason. Mankind is just pawns in some sort of game being played by forces our limited brains can't even conceptualize.

Who wants a nice big steaming plate of Revelations?
edit on 31-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: crazyewok

That's brilliant!

(but this time it'll be different, cause. . . Bernie!)

hope n change
hope n change
hope n change

Look on the bright side it could all be worse

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If I were ruthless, power hungry and greedy, I'd likely be in politics
and might even be selected.

But if I got selected and turning soft became a humanitarian?
I'd be assassinated. We all know this.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess the reason he now tells is that he is old enough and no afraid to be killed for telling the truth.

This!

I never understood why so many liked to ridicule Jimmy Carter, as far as I am concerned he was the last president that truly cared about the American people.

I do wonder if the Iran thing was manufactured to keep him from being re-elected.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join