It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shameless UK vs US version

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I really love this show. I can remember catching the UK version on tv with my girlfriend back in 2005, we were just blown away. Since it was just so hilariously inappropriate (lol) and was a British show, which were usually all so... well geeky, lol.

I just finished re-watching the US version not so long ago and have to say the first 2 seasons suck. Simply because the script is just word for word the same as the original British version and I just don't feel the first 2 seasons of the US version as much as the British version. But, the US version did start to come into its own sometime in the 3rd season and is actually now a really cool show. I'm now hanging out for the 6th US season next year.

But after just finishing binge watching the whole 11 seasons of the UK series, I have to say the original is hands down the best.

It is interesting seeing the difference's in the two and how cultures differ. Where the main charter (a dole bludging welfare cheat) Frank is seen as just a harmless & hopeless alcho in the UK series, he is portrayed as complete lowlife scum in the US series.

The UK series also leans more towards being a comedy, where as the US series leans more towards being a drama.

It is interesting to observed how different welfare collecting poor families are portrayed in the UK to the US though. From the the UK where its just some kind of sick joke, to the US where its like some seriously unacceptable lowlife way of life.

The one thing I will say, is that most US viewers would probably find the UK version a little dry or stale (why does everything in the UK seems older than it is?). But once you get past that old look and those funny accents, it really is an awesome series.

Anyway, there both very awesome and entertaining shows. It's a real shame the UK version has come to an end and I can't wait till season 6 of the US version comes out.

UK vs US

US main intro

How the UK version evolved over 11 seasons

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Never watched the US version but dare say would have hated it , Shameless is nothing in my opinion without the context of the original setting.
The first few series of the UK version were awesome but then it got popular and it went down hill , stopped watching a few episodes into series 5.

Great show but they should have quit while they were ahead.

edit on 29-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
US television isn't exactly known for originality. That's why we have things like Sharknado 3 and Judge (fill in the blank), where a brassy female judge dispenses justice.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I get embarrassed my dad is frank...
Life and soul of the party bit not a great dad.
In Manchester also.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

lol, that's kinda awesome though.

Frank just has one of those Tony Soprano personalities (from a completely different perspective & lifestyle, obviously). In that, no matter how much of an arsehole he can be, you just can't help but love him.

BTW, the end of season 11 was kind of about demonstrating that Frank was actually a far better father than he seemed. Since the mother was constantly pissing off on the kids, yet he stuck around the whole time.
edit on 29-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I just binged watched the entire US version, i love Mickey's character development.. i hope it works out for those two

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
I just binged watched the entire US version, i love Mickey's character development.. i hope it works out for those two

the us version is awesome
mickey is my favorite character.
just wait

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Yaaas!

Thank you, i complete agree

new topics

top topics

join