It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fragments Of A Comet Explode Over Spain"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I've just come by this info via a site I often check out. Can't seem to find any media news on it?

At first I thought "they must mean a meteorite?" And perhaps this was lost in translation? But apparently it was actually fragments of comet 169p/NEAT. I'm often checking the news etc and had no idea a comet was passing anywhere near Us? Normally this is big news no? Maybe I missed it?

I assume this is genuine can anybody add anything to this?

I know meteorite impacts have gone up exponentially..could this be a sign of more on the way?

Just putting this up for further attention..

www.sott.net...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The graphic you are seeing in your OP is automatically generated by ATS.

You have posted a link that ATS does not allow. Edit your OP and remove the link, or find another source.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
I've just come by this info via a site I often check out. Can't seem to find any media news on it?

At first I thought "they must mean a meteorite?" And perhaps this was lost in translation? But apparently it was actually fragments of comet 169p/NEAT. I'm often checking the news etc and had no idea a comet was passing anywhere near Us? Normally this is big news no? Maybe I missed it?

I know meteorite impacts have gone up exponentially..could this be a sign of more on the way?

Here you go...
ThinkSpain.com

A COMET has exploded over the province of Cuenca and fragments of it have been seen from one of Spain's largest observatories in Toledo.
Scientists at the La Hita complex say comet number 169P/NEAT, which flew over the central region of Castilla-La Mancha on Wednesday night and the early hours of Thursday morning burnt out in the sky 79 kilometres above ground over the town of Cañamares.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Weird ^ I'll try again?

I've just come by this link Below on a site that I often check. According to this link there was a comet that burned up in the atmosphere over Spain? I thought they may have meant meteor? But it went on to mention it was fragments of comet 169p/NEAT.

Can't seem to find much on this? Can anyone verify this is correct? as it doesn't seem to be 'out there' yet?

Is this a sign of more action on the way? As this seems quite unexpected? unless I've missed the build up?

Just posting for further attention.

news.gnom.es...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
The graphic you are seeing in your OP is automatically generated by ATS.

You have posted a link that ATS does not allow. Edit your OP and remove the link, or find another source.

Thanks just changed the link..

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Apparently it's pretty normal:

The fireballs are associated with a cosmic shower known as the Alfa-Capricornida, which will continue active for several nights.
It is known to produce spectacular fireballs such as those seen this week, and others are likely to be detected over the next few days.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Here you go...
ThinkSpain.com

A COMET has exploded over the province of Cuenca and fragments of it have been seen from one of Spain's largest observatories in Toledo.
Scientists at the La Hita complex say comet number 169P/NEAT, which flew over the central region of Castilla-La Mancha on Wednesday night and the early hours of Thursday morning burnt out in the sky 79 kilometres above ground over the town of Cañamares.

Thanks for the effort much appreciated!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Intersting it says cosmic shower? Is that a confirmation that this was part of a comet?If so I thought I would have heard more?..I need to check this out I've just come across it.

a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

No woriies, thanks for posting the story, I've learned something new today, I always enjoy that.

en.wikipedia.org...

Alpha Capricornids is a meteor shower that takes place as early as 15 July and continues until around 10 August.[1] The meteor shower was discovered by Hungarian astronomer Miklos von Konkoly-Thege in 1871.This shower has infrequent but relatively bright meteors, with some fireballs. Parent body is comet 169P/NEAT.

Peter Jenniskens and Jeremie Vaubaillon identified the parent body as asteroid 2002 EX12, which in the return of 2005 was found weakly active near perihelion.[2] This object is now called comet 169P/NEAT.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Don't mention it
Well there we have it! Yes this is new to Me too. I'll pencil that in for next time.

a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I found this an interesting read:
169P/NEAT: A Comet or an Asteroid?

169P was first thought to be an asteroid and was given the designation 2002EX12. After obtaining our images we made astrometric and photometric calculations and realised why this had happened. The easiest distinction to make between comets and asteroids is that asteroids are point source objects and comets are not.

Most comets have comas, a visible, fuzzy atmosphere surrounding them. We compared the FWHM (Full Width Half Maximum) of our comet to the FWHM of the surrounding stars as we know that stars are point source objects.

We found that our comet did have similar FWHM to the stars, showing no detectable coma and explaining why it was first classed as an asteroid.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Something was indeed lost in translation. It wasn't the comet itself that flew over Spain and exploded, it was one of the meteors that originated from this comet.

en.wikipedia.org...

So yeah, think twice before taking that banned source's reports seriously.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Thanks for pointing that out in a condescending way. I was actually quoting the un banned source. They were fragments of a comet technically..although actually meteors.

The real bone of contention imo is why is this so low key? Can't seem to find much at all on this? If this event was expected then why no 'heads up'?

I personally contend that passing meteor showers will be blamed away on periodics like the Capricornids etc.

The elites and those of us in the know realize meteor impacts have dramatically increased over recent years. This is alarming considering the planet is mostly water and we are measuring the majority of impacts on land and yet still we see this trend.

Again I expect things like this to be brushed under the carpet and given little attention as it Would open a can of worms pointing to the fact that this increase is actually due to Planet X's orbiting debris field, whereby the data indicating a spike in impacts will give further scope into when this thing arrives.

edit on 29-7-2015 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

a reply to: wildespace
The real bone of contention imo is why is this so low key? Can't seem to find much at all on this?

Simply put, these events are nothing extraordinary or news-breaking. Meteor showers typically originate from comets' rocks and dust anyway. Some of these "bits" cause a fairly large fireball in the sky. While reports and articles about these meteor showers and fireballs are interesting and help popularise astronomy, that's just that.

Here's yesterday's arcticle about another meteor shower happening right now, originated from another comet: uk.businessinsider.com...

There's even a meteor shower from the famous Halley's comet: io9.com...

The info is there if you're into observing meteor showers and wanting to learn about them. Your average Joe, however, is probably not interested in them at all.

top topics

join