It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC = tyranny of the minority

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just don't think it's anything new as a phenomenon. And I still refute any who call it a contrived conspiracy.

Except of course, in the labeling of progess and the evolution of language (a timeless and universal necessity) as some identifiable and evil movement for the political gain of it's "opposition."

There's no PC movement, but the anti-PC crowd is quite real. Blame it on PC. Those shadowy PC people, right?

Okay, when they stopped calling female temporary employees "Kelly Girls" in the 50's was that PC? A nefarious plot to make us all "losers." :shk:

Is it so horrible one doesn't take an ad out in the paper anymore for a "Girl Friday" but rather a highly skilled and respected "Executive Assistant" that probably makes more than most mid-level management staff?

Is it so bad men can be nurses now? Women doctors? Men flight attendents? Women FBI agents?

Does it really pain you so much to have gender removed from occupational titles that once precluded half the population from being a Fireman or Policeman.

That's political correctness in a nut shell. It's not out to get you. It's not even anything you can shake a stick at. There are no PC people or "defenders" since there's no organized movement or paid staff or police.

Who doesn't hate "PC" as it's been sold by those that seek to politically gain, or sell books, or make ratings by talking about it? I would. People want to steal my right to free speech? How dare they.

But if you think about it... You've been played if you believe that.

"Political Correctness" is a punch line in a comedy routine. A red herring of the right. It's not even real.

Let's go back in time and apply this chicken little attitide to other examples of changes in language.

Man, I can't believe we have to have a "UFO" forum. We got along just fine when they were called Flying Saucers. All this bunk about proper identification is ruining Amurica. Unidentifed Flying Object just seems so sterile and scientific...even if it is more factual. Probably sum Commie plot to make us all losers.

Does that even make sense? (Does anything from the right's think tank?)

Try it yourself. It's fun! Was anyone's immigrant parents called potato eaters, polaks or krauts? Are they now? Are you? Would you like it if you were? It wouldn't be "politcally correct" would it?

But again, there's still no punishment for calling someone that...so where's the conspiracy? It's just not done. Why? Beacuse people have a lick of sense. Some of us anyway.

Next time you hear some nimrod (see I can still say anything I want in this horribly "oppressed" PC world) complaining about...

Man, this PC stuff has gotten out of control...

In your own mind, dress him or her in Medieval garb and replace the phrase "political corectness" with "progress."

It's both entertaining and applicable.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join