It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC = tyranny of the minority

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Actually, most of political correctness (PC) IS a form of tyranny of the minority. Pick a PC issue and you'll find a vocal minority trying to force their will on a mostly silent majority.

PC people get over it. Quit trying to make others live your lives. Don't you see the hypocrisy of complaining about Christians and others trying to force their religion on you while you are busy trying to force your PC beliefs on everyone else? In a democracy the majority rules. If you don't like something, instead of trying to force a change on others, just don't do whatever it is yourself. Live and let live.

Need a concrete example? OK, try this one:

Do you hate SUV's?

OK, intead of organizing a campaign against SUV's, just don't buy one. This is a free country. If someone wants to pay the extra purchase and fuel prices, and wants to deal with the parking problems, let them and leave them alone.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You mean Jews are Politically Correct and want to Tyranize the Majority?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Blaa, blaa, blaa......you get over it! I will agree that some of this PC stuff is just a bunch of bahooie. There will always be those that take anything waaaay too far...... I'm Native American and I see no reason to try and change sports symbols that depict NA...I think there are much more important issues out there to be vocal about. But some of it does make sense.......and you'll just have to get over that!

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We do not live in a democracy, The United States is a Republic, which means we are a nation governed by laws. There IS no majority rule here.

Thats why a small group can tell a larger group that they are being unfair and just down right mean and get a little fairness worked into the equation by appealing to the government. A Republic is inclined to respect the interests of ALL, not just the majority who would really sock it to the little guy.

Most people are not trying to force anything on christianity, were trying to stop christianity from forcing its beliefs on us.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm part Cherokee myself and I live an hour south of Cleveland. I don't particularly care for the Indians' Chief Wahoo. I bet blacks would get upset if Chief Wahoo, instead of being Indian, was black, had an afro, and was grinning like an idiot.

Now my mother, who has twice as much Cherokee, lives in Detroit, and she hates seeing all the Chief Wahoo stuff when she visits. In fact, she has a T-shirt with a picture of Wahoo, and Wahoo of different races. I want a T-shirt like that!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bleeding-heart liberal, but when you consider that Native Americans were wronged...ugh, don't get me started. No, I'm not demanding reparations or anything. Just stop treating Native Americans like crap. Personally Wahoo is a bit trivial, given everything else that's going on in the world, but it still annoys me a little bit.

Call it a pet peeve.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Blaa, blaa, blaa......you get over it! I will agree that some of this PC stuff is just a bunch of bahooie. There will always be those that take anything waaaay too far...... I'm Native American and I see no reason to try and change sports symbols that depict NA...I think there are much more important issues out there to be vocal about. But some of it does make sense.......and you'll just have to get over that!

to respond to the football thing, its all about money. its a form of extortion!

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Do you hate SUV's?

OK, intead of organizing a campaign against SUV's, just don't buy one. This is a free country. If someone wants to pay the extra purchase and fuel prices, and wants to deal with the parking problems, let them and leave them alone.

Well, I'm not going to delve into this too far, but I hate SUVs and I don't own one and I would sell one if you gave it to me. However, that is not where the SUV issue ends. The effects of SUVs are felt by me every time I go to the pump because the gas-guzzlers raise the demand for fuel and high demand in a limited supply market means high prices, not to mention the fact that the mothers are a physical threat to everyone who shares the road with them.

As far as PC goes, it is a tyranny, to be sure.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
We do not live in a democracy, The United States is a Republic, which means we are a nation governed by laws. There IS no majority rule here.

Thats why a small group can tell a larger group that they are being unfair and just down right mean and get a little fairness worked into the equation by appealing to the government. A Republic is inclined to respect the interests of ALL, not just the majority who would really sock it to the little guy.

Wupy, you clearly have no idea what your talking about.

"We do not live in a democracy, the United States is a Republic, which means we are a nation governed by laws. There IS no majority rule here."

Last I checked, a republic IS a democracy. And while yes, it does mean that we are a nation governed by laws, that's maybe 1/4th of the entire definition.

A republic is basically two things.

1. A government having a chief of state who is not a monarch.

2. A government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.

"There IS no majority rule here."
" A Republic is inclined to respect the interests of ALL, not just the majority who would really sock it to the little guy."

Yes, there IS a majority rule here. Whatever group gets the majority of votes on the topic, tells is how it is.

And no, a republic is NOT inclined to respect the interests of ALL. A republic is inclined to respect the interests of the majority.

An elected official may decide to "stick up for the little guy", but come next election, the majority will vote him out, because he isn't doing what MOST people want.

Double-check your facts, then come back to the table.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

LadyV, Once you get past your gut reaction I believe you actually are starting to get my point. Sports symbols are another good example of what I'm talking about. However, when you say some people take things "waaaay too far", I'm asking you to widen your view and notice that the proponents of all PC issues are the one taking things waaaay too far.

Remember the good old saying "mind your own business"? Seems the PC people would do well to re-examine that one for themselves.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Do you hate SUV's?

Well, I'm not going to delve into this too far, but I hate SUVs and I don't own one and I would sell one if you gave it to me. However, that is not where the SUV issue ends. The effects of SUVs are felt by me every time I go to the pump because the gas-guzzlers raise the demand for fuel and high demand in a limited supply market means high prices, not to mention the fact that the mothers are a physical threat to everyone who shares the road with them.

As far as PC goes, it is a tyranny, to be sure.

I purposely used the SUV issue because I thought it would elicit the kind of PC logic you provided. To answer, it is only a small percentage of car owners that can actually afford the big SUV's you refer to. Too small a group to affect prices in the way you fear. Also, I have yet to see a PC argument that 'shows' that making more trips (to compensate for reduced payload) in smaller cars is better for the environment than one trip in an SUV. Also, hard to believe it's better for the environment to have purchases delivered by big diesel delivery trucks that I could have brought home myself if I had an SUV . Plus, if I could bring it home, it's only 1 trip instead of two to have it delivered.

Where's the logic in any of this PC thinking? I thought you'd understand ...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

To answer, it is only a small percentage of car owners that can actually afford the big SUV's you refer to. Too small a group to affect prices in the way you fear.

First of all, you're probably the first person who ever called me PC. Secondly, you're definitely the first person on this site who has ever called me PC. Thirdly, you don't live where I live, because SUVs and enormous pick-up trucks are the norm. Fourthly, you provide no data to support your claim. And fifthly, anything that affects demand will affect prices.

Why high oil prices haven't cut demand

On top of the list of things that are ripe for efficiency gains is the automobile, which makes up the biggest single category of energy use in the United States. Gasoline mileage standards, first mandated by Congress in 1975, did raise the efficiency of cars. But those gains were largely wiped out by the surging popularity of light trucks and SUVs in the 1990s � a trend driven in large part by the higher profit margins these vehicles offer car manufacturers. �Powertrains got a third more efficient since 1981,� he said. �But only 1 percent of that gain was captured in the fuel saving. The rest of that was performance.�

But the technology to boost gas mileage even more is already available. The list includes everything from improved internal combustion technologies to tires that produce less rolling resistance.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Gas prices still high; let's cut demand

[...]

In 1985, however, all progress halted. What's worse, mileage began slipping precipitously because two things happened.

No. 1, the escalation of CAFE requirements ended. In two decades, the 27.5 mpg standard hasn't changed.

No. 2, Americans fell in love with minivans, pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, all considered "light trucks" and excluded from the 27.5 mpg passenger-car requirement. Light trucks now account for 54 percent of all vehicles sold in the United States, and they're required to meet a 20.7 mpg standard.

www.wisinfo.com...

Light trucks crashing into cars accounts for the majority of fatalities in vehicle-to-vehicle collisions

2,000 people would still be alive if their vehicles had been hit by a heavy car instead of an SUV

80 percent of car and SUV owners strongly that automakers should make safety changes to SUVs that would make the roads safer for car occupants

www.suv.org...

Google Search

Google Search

[edit on 04/12/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A serious post on the subject? Finally?

Does a real conspiracy of Political Correctness with nefarious intent really exist anywhere but the neverending posts from a conditioned audience of AM radio and political punditry?

Who's being infringed upon? Who are the PC cops? What are the punishments? Is it government backed? Media? Concrete examples please. How has it affected you? Or anyone you know?

Solid definitions would be helpful. Is it just everything? Is affirmative action PC? I bet some think it is. Oh they just hired her because she's a woman to be PC. Is that an example?

I'm aware of a few concrete things in my life that fell under the mislabeling of "political correctness" which other than a handful of comedians making light of the subject I've never heard come from anyone but right wingers screaming oppression.

My main example of something real you might call PC was a movement by human resource professionals in the 80's to stop calling people handicapped and start creating workplace atmospheres more inviting to the physically challenged. People made jokes. No differerent than when some companies changed employee literature from talking about negros to blacks to eventually african americans.

And this is hurting you....how exactly? Is it funny? Laughable? A bit silly? Sure. I guess. If you happen to be mentally challanged I guess it might be.

But oppressive? Hardly. Nefarious? In your right wing dreams. :shk:

Examples so far?

A campaign against SUV's? Never actually seen one, but I'd imagine it would be some environmental organization saying please conserve gas. That's a conspiracy? Only if the American Cancer Society saying dont' smoke is a conspiracy. Still your choice people. Marketing isn't oppression.

Okay, Indian names on sports teams. Native American...whatever. See? I said Indian and nobody came and confiscasted my house, fined or imprisoned me. Hmmm, seems I do have freedom of speech despite what the right keeps asserting and there's no conspiracy, no PC police and no repurcussions for being a jackass. Didn't Rush Limabugh get rich by not being PC? Don't they all?

It's about money, nothing else. When enough people are offended by Redskins they'll be something else. If that's a conspiracy, it's called capitalism. Brands change names for any variety of reasons that Ann Coulter can't sell a book about. New and improved does not mean conspiracy, unless you have a 3 hour radio show to fill every day.

PC "oppression" my southern, white, male, upper middle class ass. :shk:

If I'm a slave to minorities then Halli-freaking-luiah for slavery, because it doesn't look like running the world as a minority pays very well.

You know what it is don't you? All this constant PC conspiracy talk they've been pushing for years? Some perverse white guilt justification for being jerks in the first place. I'm soooo sorry you feel bad for calling people retards and the n-word, but your guilt is not a conspiracy of anything but your own conscience. Beyond that the conspiracy (fake as it is), is just another marketing device of the right to explain why all you good, solid, working class, white, Christian value voters aren't rich like the real Republican have-more millionares with the defense contracts, oil empires and companies you used to work at now overseas.

Nay noble taxpayer, it's not the $500 billion in defense spending keeping you down, it's the $40 million in food stamps most of which goes to red states anyway.

But it's the poor's fault. The minorities. The chicks, 'tards and n****** right? Shameful.

The right needs new material already. I'm sick of this line.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Most people are not trying to force anything on christianity, were trying to stop christianity from forcing its beliefs on us.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

The US is a representative republic. Those pushing PC do it through the courts, the only place libs ever get their goofy ideas pushed down the rest of americas throat. Lib ideas have failed period. The icon of lib thinking was communisim, YO libs it FAILED. PC is a backhanded attempt to wash away true american ideals, so everyone becomes losers - because no one is allowed to WIN. Achievement is evil in the eyes of PC. Lowering the standard down to the lib level of ignorance.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The US is a representative republic. Those pushing PC do it through the courts, the only place libs ever get their goofy ideas pushed down the rest of americas throat. Lib ideas have failed period. The icon of lib thinking was communisim, YO libs it FAILED. PC is a backhanded attempt to wash away true american ideals, so everyone becomes losers - because no one is allowed to WIN. Achievement is evil in the eyes of PC. Lowering the standard down to the lib level of ignorance.

Now, that was a beautiful and intelligent thing to read ...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Never seen a PC campaign against SUV's? Here on the left coast we see it all the time. Everytime the price of gas goes up, articles appear in the news blaming the SUV drivers for the increase. Nevermind, of course, the fact that pricing around the SF Bay area proves that oil companies (not SUV drivers) are to blame. For others not from this area, it's very curious that gas around SF costs up to 50 cents more per gallon than other areas in CA nearby. Why? The refineries are right here, so the savings for not having to ship the gas somewhere else should make SF gas cheaper. But no, oil companies think SF is a "rich area" and what are consumers going to do about it anyway? Plus with the media (foolishly) blaming the SUV drivers and the PC people (foolishly) believing it, all the oil companies need to do is rake in the cash.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think you people are thinking of the PC movement from the wrong angle.

Let me ask you this, do you think the new world order elite (who behind the scenes are responsible for the pc movement) actually care about not 'offending' muslims or other minorities? when those same elite forces are responsible for a war that has killed thousands of muslims in Iraq?

The pc movement is nothing more than brainwashing to condition the ignorant populace for the end of freedom of speech. Use the simple starting point of 'protecting minorities,' then go from that to banning criticism of the govt and its policies, which is the end goal.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor DTA
The pc movement is nothing more than brainwashing to condition the ignorant populace for the end of freedom of speech. Use the simple starting point of 'protecting minorities,' then go from that to banning criticism of the govt and its policies, which is the end goal.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

So it is the government doing this secret shadow mind control op.

The government run by... Republicans.

Wait...

I don't think any of you know what youre' talking about.

Boogeymen in your head.

It's the minorities, no wait the environmentalists, no wait economic systems, no wait the government...

Come on. If it's anyone it's the elite college professors and Jewish media all of which report to me.

But I'm getting slack in my firm grip on thought control and denying free speech I suppose. I keep letting these threads go on and on about how there's no free speech anymore. Ironic isn't it?

Question? How to get rich fast in America. Should you write on book on how being nice to other people (aka politically correct) is the way to go or a book calling all women Feminazis and thought police cramming PC down your throat? Which book would sell more do ya think? Get more distribution? Have the author interviewed on more news and talk shows?

Which philosophy is being crammed down our throats more these days?

I mean really.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
some PC stuff

waitstaff, instead of waiters and waitresses
vertically challenges, instead of short
human resources, instead of personnel

looking up "politically correct" on google,
weget PC little red riding hood, PC parables, PC night before Christmas, PC nutrition, PC pyhsics, PC mathematics, PC ethics, PC dictionary, PC terrorism and a PC war in Iraq
My Gawd, we'd still be Brits if the Revolutionary war was fought PC! However did we manage all these years without being PC

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
For as long as human history has been recorded, the minority has always had a tyranny over the majority. That being the rich controlling the poor. Which is still how it is today. Political correctness has only just recently begun to play a role.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think this PC stuff is a bit like 1984's Newspeak.

As far as SUVs go--I have no problem with the vehicles themselves (though I much prefer my Grand Caravan), I just have a problem with their DRIVERS.

Contrary to some people's belief, SUV drivers do NOT own the road, and I am NOT impressed.

It's the attitude of the drivers that annoys me. The general attitude.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join