It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice with smartphone dilemma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hey guys, so I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma.
I recently became eligible to upgrade my phone with my service provider. I did some research and reading and examining specs and decided on which phone to get... But for some half-brained reason I never considered the actual storage capacity of the phone. I just completely skipped over it.
Now, I have 2 phones sitting here. One is the old phone I was using previously (with an sd card with my music on it), and the other is the new phone I got, which does not have enough space for all of my music, nor does it have an sd card slot.
I have two options: 1, return the new phone and exchange it for a larger storage version with a return fee and extra cost of the replacement phone; and 2, keep this phone and use the old phone just for listening to music.

I don't know what to do. Is it worth it to return it and replace it just so I have enough space for my music, or should I just use my old phone as a music player and the new phone for everything else?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Return the phone as malfunctioning and have everything your way.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

edit on 22-7-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
you want me to decide what is best for you ?

i could toss a coin ..
if i were to say what to do ,. it would be to be more assertive and know your own mind ...
you obv know what you want ..

that said tho ... if it were me .. and i really wanted to listen to my music on it .. i think the longer i held on to it, and just 'made do' with it .. the more id prob learn to despise it .. and it wd be a continual reminder of my frustration at my own impatience ...
i would prob rectify it it at the extra expense .. and get what i initially set out to get .. that way id prob only be frustrated at myself for a few days ...

ive done that kinda thing loada times ... glad its not just me

you shoulda maybe got a phone like this in the first place .. and then youd have been more on the ball
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Tell your service provider that unless they supply you with a decent phone that has a card slot, you will post about how stingy they are on ats.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

nor does it have an sd card slot.

What phone did you get that doesn't have a SD card slot?

My guess is something non android as it has been almost standard for years.

Take the phone back and get one with an SD card slot.
Get a Samsung.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I think you already know deep inside what you need to do. LOL. Bite the bullet and cough up the extra money to get what you really want (if you can afford it without causing a deficit in other financial areas of your life, of course). If the cost increase would be too much, simply make do with what you have until your next upgrade. Also, you could consider cashing in the old phone through one of those "WE BUY YOUR PHONE" services, to try to make some of the money toward getting what you really want.

For me, my phone serves 1st for a music player, 2nd for photography/videos, 3rd for internet, and lastly so that I have a phone number if someone NEEDS to reach me. So for me, storage capacity is one of the first things I look at. I'm actually eligible for an upgrade now... but I'm holding off until all the new phones come out in the fall to see what all offerings there will be.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Bite the bullet trollz. Bite the bullet.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I just personally use a crappy $80 (prepaid) smart phone for calls and texting and then an ipod for music, games and emails. Its no big deal carrying them both around and I've saved myself like $500 by not forking out for a iphone or whatever.

But... my little brother and his mates just ring up there provider whenever a newer model of there phone comes out and claim there phone is broken (even though its not) and then 'demand' the upgraded model. Surprisingly it works like a charm, apparently they never physically check if the phone is actually faulty before sending out a new one. They just tell you to send in your old phone and then send out the newer model totally free of charge.

So yeah, my advise is to ring your provider and claim your phone is faulty, then demand they send you one that has the storage space your looking for.

lol, its amazing what you can get away with when you put your foot down.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
What phone did you get that doesn't have a SD card slot?

My guess is something non android as it has been almost standard for years.

Droid Turbo

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I actually did the same thing except I wasn't using an upgrade. It was a temporary replacement due to a broken phone. So I decided to keep the phone until my upgrade hits next month. I was surprised as to how much I actually like the LG G2 w/o an external SDcard. However, I'd much rather have more storage when needed.

For you, I would recommended checking into the return/exchange policy and how long it will take to upgrade again. If you have unlimited data, you can just stream music instead of storing it in your phone. But, if you're within the return policy, take advantage of it because you may not get another chance unless you purchase a new phone at full retail price or via third party. Unless you wait for an upgrade of course.

I work for a cell phone company

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

I think you already know deep inside what you need to do. LOL. Bite the bullet and cough up the extra money to get what you really want (if you can afford it without causing a deficit in other financial areas of your life, of course). If the cost increase would be too much, simply make do with what you have until your next upgrade. Also, you could consider cashing in the old phone through one of those "WE BUY YOUR PHONE" services, to try to make some of the money toward getting what you really want.

For me, my phone serves 1st for a music player, 2nd for photography/videos, 3rd for internet, and lastly so that I have a phone number if someone NEEDS to reach me. So for me, storage capacity is one of the first things I look at. I'm actually eligible for an upgrade now... but I'm holding off until all the new phones come out in the fall to see what all offerings there will be.

The buy-back programs are also a great option if you're keep the phone longer than the return policy(in most cases I would assume). Just take good care of the phone to ensure you get the most back.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I just personally use a crappy $80 (prepaid) smart phone for calls and texting and then an ipod for music, games and emails. Its no big deal carrying them both around and I've saved myself like $500 by not forking out for a iphone or whatever.

But... my little brother and his mates just ring up there provider whenever a newer model of there phone comes out and claim there phone is broken (even though its not) and then 'demand' the upgraded model. Surprisingly it works like a charm, apparently they never physically check if the phone is actually faulty before sending out a new one. They just tell you to send in your old phone and then send out the newer model totally free of charge.

So yeah, my advise is to ring your provider and claim your phone is faulty, then demand they send you one that has the storage space your looking for.

lol, its amazing what you can get away with when you put your foot down.

As much as I hate to agree, in some cases, that can work. It's hard to determine(over the phone anyway) if the customers are telling the truth. In some cases though, the same model is then sent out unless they're not available; which would then result in the next model up. But... there are ways to check this and you can possibly be charged for the new equipment that was sent out.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

If the phone is so smart why don't you just ask it?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Wow droid and Motorola...

Very weird indeed for that not to have a sd card slot.

I would still return it and tell them to either wave rhe fee or you will process the upgrade somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
weird... Who has a fee?
Verizon offers a 14 day 'buyers remorse' return policy on any new products.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JRedBeard

Most places have a 'restocking fee', especially if you go a premium retailer.
Which you should not do.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JRedBeard
weird... Who has a fee?
Verizon offers a 14 day 'buyers remorse' return policy on any new products.

I was told it would be $35 to exchange it, and that it would be $4 more to switch from the 32gb to the 64gb model.

A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device (excluding Hawaii).

edit on 7/23/2015 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Well you can return it and revert your plan back to having the upgrade. Then you are free to take your business else where.

If they want to charge you that 35 I suggest you do.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Get a new phone....get a storage card and put it in-tons of storage and cheap...I have a cheap smart phone with 2000 songs in it and tons of apps...dump the old for the new

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join