It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical in Marijuana could Build Strong Bones

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like this. As we get more research we're better differentiating between the effects of psychoactive components of marijuana. THC has it's benefits, CBD has it's benefits, and perhaps a blend provides best results in yet other circumstances. I'm interested to see just how anti-psychotic CBD is compared to standard anti-psychotics. Don't think I've found a study for that yet.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

It is true that prescription pills are easier to hide. Smaller objects, plus no smell, plus semi-legal status make it hard to crack down on that issue. I really despise opiates... But then again I wouldn't criminalize them either, because the alternatives are MUCH worse.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Its apart of a larger problem.

tbh, if I was driving though a town with a bag of weed where there may be coppers looking to sting someone, then I know I want to be driving behind a aboriginal bloke. Because I know for a fact they'll always pull him over before they pull me over.

The whole profiling thing is a disgrace!

I gotta be constantly paranoid about being pulled up and searched by the police, because I wear a hoody and look young. Yet my uncle can drive around in total safety with an unlicensed rifle and loaded with illegal fireworks, simply because he appears straight.

Police are just the definition of stupid!!! How do you think the hard core criminals are driving around? Well they waste there time profiling and pulling people over for petty cannabis possession charges.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

For years scientists knew that schizophrenics produced more anandamide than the rest of the population. They drew the obvious conclusion from this: anandamide must cause the illness, or at the very least make it worse.

In more recent years this theory has been shown to be false. Schizophrenics do produce more anandamide than usual, but this is because the body is creating as much anandamide as it can in order to fight the illness.

And this is where CBD comes in. CBD protects anandamide from breaking down and enhances anandamide signaling.
According to that 2011 study, “cannabidiol treatment was accompanied by a significant increase in serum anandamide levels, which was significantly associated with clinical improvement. The results suggest that inhibition of anandamide deactivation may contribute to the anti-psychotic effects of cannabidiol potentially representing a completely new mechanism in the treatment of schizophrenia.”

The last part is crucial. The way CBD works as an anti-psychotic is unlike any existing medication. Most anti-psychotics work by changing the ratio of dopamine, serotonin, noradrenaline and acetylcholine in the brain. By altering the levels of those chemicals an anti-psychotic effect can be produced. CBD is very different. CBD works by bolstering the body’s own system designed to fight disease: the endocannabinoid system.

Not only does CBD have a more gentle mechanism of action than other anti-psychotics, it also does when compared to other cannabinoids. CBD doesn’t bind directly to the receptors (as THC does, for example) but instead works with the body’s own cannabinoids, by protecting them and making them more effective.

But it isn’t just psychosis that CBD appears to work to treat. It’s pretty much everything else as well. I suggest that if you have a serious illness of any kind you should be giving CBD to your endocannabinoid system. This system of receptors deals with a dizzyingly large amount of functions. It deals with pain, stress, anxiety, sleep, memory, as well as the immune system.

By feeding your endocannabinoid system with CBD you are helping your body become healthier and stronger, and you’re giving your body a better chance of fighting whatever illness it is you’re fighting.

And if you’re not fighting an illness at present? Well, you should still be supplementing with CBD. It will protect you from getting ill in the first place. It will reduce stress on the body and in the brain, help you sleep better, and it will reduce the likelihood of getting a serious illness later in life.

More on CBD, CBN THC And 80 other chemicals.. Medicinal Cannabinoid FAQ: What are THC, CBD, CBN, CBC and …?

Drops of knowledge! Stay Lifted...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The possibilities that this plant offers are amazing! I cannot understand how this is STILL classified as a Schedule 1, hopefully that will be changed soon!

It's still scheduled because it can do things actual medications can't -- and they can't patent a plant. They can't make money off it, so no one is allowed to have it.
edit on 22-7-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Doesn't bigAG like MonSatan patent their GM crops? I would think something like g13 strain could be patented from using the same precedence.

I think it's less that the plant can't be patented, rather that the market as is works for many interests.
edit on 22-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

They can patent the process to isolating the pertinent compounds into a clean and consistent dose.

Case in point: aspirin.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Right, but anyone could manufacture a crude "standardized extract" and sell it as a supplement.

Then, we'd hear about deaths or something and the FDA would pull it. All health supplements that actually work eventually get pulled from the market under pressure from the pharmaceutical industry. Ephedrine is a case in point. They can't have something that burns fat so effectively as an OTC supplement! More people die from various prescription drugs than ever did from ephedrine fat burners, but the FDA pulled them anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Its apart of a larger problem.

Indeed. But bullies have knack of sniffing out those least able to fight back... Bully cops are just bullies with a badge and a gun, which of course makes them far more dangerous to you and me -- and for more dangerous than you and me! It's the lack of accountability and questionable hiring practices that let them get away with it. That has to stop. There are still good cops -- many, many good cops. We have to stop forcing them out, and stop hiring the problem types.

But when municipalities demand policing-for-profit, then we have to expect a thug police force to maintain and protect their racket.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Any strain can be patented You're right. I have grown G 13 and many variants of. Now the market works for many, many interests!

It is widely believed and accepted that the famous G13 cannabis originated from the United States government (DEA, FBI, CIA), who allegedly ran a cannabis research institute in rural Mississippi in the 1960's and 70's. Reports were made that a "rebel" government worker stole a clone of a pure Afghani strain of cannabis and distributed it to various connections around the United States. This is mostly untrue however. What is known is that a man who went by the name of Sandy Weinstein had a connection at the government funded cannabis research facility conducted at the University of Mississippi. When a man by the name of Neville Schoenmakers one way or another convinced Mr. Weinstein to persuade his friend at the lab to obtain a strain of prime cannabis. It is said that there was a batch of pure Indica Afghani strains of marijuana. These strains were labeled G1 all the way to G23. The G13 strain that was obtained, cloned and distributed by Schoenmakers is said to have been of much higher quality than any of the other Afghanis.

GM, Involvment: Uruguay became the first nation in the world to legalize the cultivation, sale and possession of marijuana. Now one German researcher is alleging that billionaire speculator George Soros supported legalization in that South American country as part of a plan for corporate agribusiness giant Monsanto to move into the cannabis trade.

Engdahl alleges, on the website of the European Coalition for Just and Effective Drug Policies (ENCOD) that Monsanto is already quietly at work on a project to patent a genetically modified cannabis plant in Uruguay. Since Soros played a pivotal role in Uruguay's legalization drive (he sits on the board of the Drug Policy Alliance), and also owns considerable Monsanto stock, Engdahl believes those two things are connected, and they point towards Monsanto involvement.

Soros' Open Society organization distributed $34 million last year, according to Engdahl, nearly $3.5 million of which was dedicated to marijuana legalization. Open Society funded the group Regulacion Responsable ("Responsible Control") in Uruguay; the group ran a nationwide advertising campaign for the successful legalization drive.

So, their knee deep in the legalization of Cannabis. Maybe they will have a hand and their, modified strains, in the legal process in the US. But as myself, there are so many independent growers, that supply the market, with high quality natural strains. And the consumers, mostly are aware of the Cannabis they smoke and consume, they wont be fooled!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Right anyone can. As, I'm sure you heard of the ignorant kids, blowing themselves up in the process of pulling extracts from butane. However, there is and used, a much better extraction method, with water, that is 100% natural. Like I said. Cannabis, consumers are not stupid, they know the difference and they seek out the extracts that are done properly!

The FDA needs to set its standards and practices. And they will. They wont have a choice. The Cannabis industry, isn't going anywhere. And as with anything business, sports....The professional, growers and extract, edible makers will rise to the top. And play a huge roll in quality control. Time is what it takes... And this industry is moving at a pernicious pace, for the better!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Right, but anyone could manufacture a crude "standardized extract" and sell it as a supplement.

...which is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Then, we'd hear about deaths or something and the FDA would pull it. All health supplements that actually work eventually get pulled from the market under pressure from the pharmaceutical industry.

Nonsense. "Herbal supplements" aren't regulated by the FDA due to successful and powerful lobbying from the supplement industry. Crappy and dangerous supplements get sold all the time and there's only ever been one case of a supplement being pulled from the market.

edit on 22-7-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: C21H30O2I

Yes, I am aware of water and ice concentration methods, they're nothing new. Only now because of recent legalization efforts are people becoming aware of all this.

Now everyone is an "expert" these days, inventing new terms for old things and acting like they've invented everything

Watching it all, It's like a bunch of teenagers thinking they discovered the Beatles.

*sigh*
edit on 22-7-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The FDA can pressure supplement companies to pull products quite effectively. As a bodybuilder I see quite a few supplements get pulled off the shelves every year.

DMAA was recently pulled due to the FDA. Ephedrine was pulled as well a while back.

All of this is under the guise of "danger" -- sure, when one idiot takes 10 times the normal dose and dies. Any sane person can use these products just fine with no negative health repercussions.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The main reason this herb is sill a Schedule 1 drug is simply because it has been demonized for nearly 100 years. The fact is weed has some remarkable property's that far outweigh any negative effects. Aloe Vera doesn't even come close.
edit on 22-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: C21H30O2I

Hmmm, interesting.

But, on the subject of strains, isn't it funny how everyone talks about Holland as the home of modern day cannabis breeding? When in reality its the United States.

Skunk #1, Haze, northern lights, blueberry (and all the others), all the strains that make up the backbone of modern day cannabis genetics all originated in the US.

Which kind of brings me back to my point of the ridiculousness of profiling. Some broke dude with long hair driving though town is getting his head slammed into the concrete for possessing a few joints. Well some rich straight looking bloke who's growing thousands of plants up in Humboldt in order to produce a strain like skunk #1 is as safe as can be.

Police should actually be the number one advocates for legalizing it. To prevent them from looking like complete idiots when they profile poor people, as some feeble minded tactic to take drugs of the street.

Its like the police are retarded or something!
edit on 22-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Did you know that even back in the 1930's when the Marihuana Tax Act came on the books, even THEN science disagreed with the propaganda demonizing it. But effing Anslinger... and his racism just HAD to drive it to become illegal.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Look guys, im too new to start my own topic, but ive been smoking marijuana since i was about 15 quite regularly, im now 21.

All this misinformation and attention towards it in mainstream media is BAD NEWS, believe me or not, but i know from personal experience that marijuana is bad for you, i changed my tune after years of consuming i eventually built an immune to it, and now all it does is trigger depression and increased self awareness, i dont even feel high when i smoke it anymore.

It is my belief that marijuana is becoming legalized so that they can genetically modify it (if they havent already) and use it against the public for dumb us down, my memory became HORRIFIC, i couldn't focus or hold my attention, i was having emotional outbursts and eventually got sectioned in a mental ward for phycosis, now i dont believe it was the weed that caused the psychotic episode, but i am still skeptical... either way i know for a fact that marijunana is 110% BAD for you, i have watched my friends lives be consumed by it just like it did me.

Enjoy the first couple years of smoking it guys.
edit on 22-7-2015 by DevoiD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DevoiD1

You lack self control and/or possess a mental illness that's causing you to self medicate.

Lack of self control is actually a very common problem among us homo sapiens, You could go for 48 hours without and lose your tolerance, but clearly you don't have the self control to realize that.

Fact is, if it wasn't erb it would be alcohol, OTC medication, gambling or even prostitutes. Its a extremely short sighted to blame your personal lack of control on the most effective & safest medical plant known to man. IMO!

Admittedly, it can cause a lack of ambition on people who abuse it at a young age. But that's hardly a reason to demonize it and keep it illegal. If anything its a reason to legalize it for the purpose of regulating it. That way, your average 15 year old won't be able to regularly get on to better erb than I can.

Legalization is a no brainer when it comes to harm minimization.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DevoiD1

Great a personal anecdote from some kid new to smoking. That settles it then! This guy knows that weed is bad for you because he has 6 years of experience smoking it despite having no serious medical complications arise from taking it all that time.

Buddy, you need to learn that personal anecdotes don't prove anything. Your experiences aren't necessarily (and usually aren't) indicative of the whole population. That is what statistical analysis is for and statistical analysis disagrees with your assertion. If you don't like marijuana anymore, don't smoke it, but don't pretend like you know anything about its effects on your body.

PS: Since you are new to ATS, discussing personal use is against the T&C.
edit on 22-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join