It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt navy ship 'hit by Sinai militants' missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
article here

Wow, this is escalating fast, once you start blowing up navy vessels things are going to get real nasty. I can see a full scale invasion or war before long.
I think that the Egyptians are downplaying this attack and want things to seem under control, but seriously, having your navy as sitting ducks to anti ship missiles, thats a situation that they cant really tolerate for too long.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: December21st2012

Yeah incidents like this do tend to up the ante . I wonder how long until the militants post the video ?

Any video that begins with "Allah Akbar" is generally worth watching .

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The Egyptian vessel appeared to be heavily damaged in the bow section. I never heard of an antitank missile being used on a watergoing vessel before.
Funker530 claims that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack. They are calling the vessel a frigate. It looks small for a frigate, but other countries have different classifications than we do.
edit on b000000312015-07-16T13:04:38-05:0001America/ChicagoThu, 16 Jul 2015 13:04:38 -0500100000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The article states that their an I S affiliate.I think the militants will have a tough time with the Egyptian armed forces.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

In a different thread I just asked what defensive weapons are and I see that an anti tank defensive weapon was used as an offensive weapon on a ship. I guess this is in the grey area in offensive and defensive weapons.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
a reply to: butcherguy

In a different thread I just asked what defensive weapons are and I see that an anti tank defensive weapon was used as an offensive weapon on a ship. I guess this is in the grey area in offensive and defensive weapons.

Did they even have the CIWS on ? Sheesh.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: December21st2012

Very interesting story. I find it highly unlikely that the whole crew was killed and unlikely that there were not casualties.

In the past the uss stark was hit by 2 exocet missiles and was not sunk.

I am sure there will be multiple investigations into this incident. The details will come out and we will have to wait for more details.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphastrike101
In the past the uss stark was hit by 2 exocet missiles and was not sunk.

They were a little lucky on that accord as one of the missiles did not detonate.

edit on 16-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
That is Egyptian Coast Guard and looks to be a Swiftships 35PB they have about 25 people on board and are about 35 meters long and lightly armed, couple of machine guns and a anti air gun. The ship was towed back.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
So once again we have evidence of alleged IS sympathizers well within reach of attacking Israel yet they don't, definitely should make one wonder who they're really working for (that's if you don't already know).

I'm starting to think that Israel wants some of the Sinai back

Any recent oil/gas/mineral finds in the area lately?

That's right, I think MOSSAD did it

edit on 16-7-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one
So once again we have evidence of alleged IS sympathizers well within reach of attacking Israel yet they don't, definitely should make one wonder who they're really working for (that's if you don't already know).

I'm starting to think that Israel wants some of the Sinai back

Any recent oil/gas/mineral finds in the area lately?

That's right, I think MOSSAD did it

These guys are in the Egyptian parts of the Sinai and while the have taken the name ISIS are the same radicals that have trying overthrow the government for years. They get very upset because Israel assists Egypt in finding them. However, the only target they can hit of Israel's is the border force which has been reinforced. That has not gone well for them when they tried in the past. So while they may call themselves ISIS now they still have the same goal as always, over throwing the Egyptian government. Although ISIS is pushing towards the Golan Heights and IDF forces have building up there as well. That could get interesting.

new topics

top topics

join