It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Now? Mega-Quake Would Destroy Big Portion Of Pacific Northwest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I live on the coast of Oregon, I figure the "big one" will give me the opportunity to surf to Idaho.

Or buy beach front propriety in Idaho... Boise seaside has a nice ring to it...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

All I see is poor journalism......He is citing the same article posted in another thread. The news is so sad today all they do is pass around the same story and use it for everything it is worth.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Darkblade71

I've got a BOB for every member of the family. But again, we live ON the coast. Not just near it.

So if the Cascadia Subduction Zone slips, I'll be wiped out by the tsunami if I survive the quake.

But don't worry, I'll post all about it if it happens.

We have front row seats to...

edit on 7/16/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Info on preparation;

Evergreen Tremor! Washington National Guard 'Megaquake' Rehearsal for Cascadia Earthquake

"Our estimates right now are somewhere between 50,000 to 80,000 (service members) potentially to have to show up here to really get things put back together,” Daugherty said.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Zorb.

zorb.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

edit on 16-7-2015 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I don't need a BOB, I need water wings.

lolz

I guess it'd be like living in Yosemite. When that cauldera blows, just say, "Good night Irene."

I'll just enjoy life and when my time is up?

Then I'll keep the beer cold until we meet in Valhalla.

Yosemite isn't a caldera. It was formed by glaciation.

Are you thinking of Yellowstone.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Dang I live right about on the border of that line shown in the video. Definitely over 30 feet above sea level though, even after the drop in elevation. Doesnt mean I'll survive the quake though... If it drops that quick, I'll be smashed into my ceiling. If Im outside, I'll siddenly find myself in the air, falling however many feet.

I wonder if a nuke, or multuple nukes, could trigger this thing? Underwater drone? The possibility of triggering Yellowstone would make it too risky, I hope, for any maniacs out there to give it a try... Cause that would effect the entire planet in ways that would be suicidal or at least near suicidal. Nobody knows for sure how bad it could get.

I guess that's a potential reason why the globalists have turned their back on America, sucking out any usefullness they can before leaving us to our doom, because they know we are doomed anyway once that thing blows.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Another built up, overdue situation on the West coast is that massive volcano in Yellowstone. Once the human and natural world has just gotten so fubar there is nothing that can really be done, those massive volcanoes will blow their top and coat the atmosphere in smoke etc which will actually completely reverse the rapid heating/warming. And the seeds and the rest of the natural world will be preserved in a type of spaceship Noah's Ark, and underground, and "humanity", or a step above that, will evolve off planet. Perhaps the spiritual chain of reincarnation, if there is such a thing, will then be able to continue on other planets. But I don't see 'business as usual' lasting any more than another 15 years or so. Probably less.

Bucket lists, anyone?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

lolz

I guess it'd be like living in Yosemite. When that cauldera blows, just say, "Good night Irene."

Apologies, yes.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Never, ever underestimate the short sighted stupidity of the average human. Many think "I'll just get in my car and leave" or "The government will send help" or pretty much anything but the truth, which is, You will be on your own for at least the first 24 hours. And if friends and neighbors know you have supplies, they will expect you to take care of them.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Never, ever underestimate the short sighted stupidity of the average human. Many think "I'll just get in my car and leave" or "The government will send help" or pretty much anything but the truth, which is, You will be on your own for at least the first 24 hours. And if friends and neighbors know you have supplies, they will expect you to take care of them.

The earthquake itself will render most of the paths for evacuation impassable, then if you're in the inundation zone, you have all of 15 minutes to get out or get to much higher ground.

A fortunate thing is that if your friends and neighbours know you have supplies, they will only expect you to take care of them for about 15 minutes.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I experienced something similar in the late 90's while standing at the top of the Space Needle.
I watched as water moved inland and the city fell.

When you stand up there and look around, you can see how in the past the land was seriously disturbed by what looks like tsunami or massive land upheaval, kind of like a slanted flood plain.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I once dreamed that I was in the mojave desert looking west awaiting a tsunami that was hyped as so big that it would reach us, and i stood there and finally it hit me, like somebody splashed me with a dixie cup- that's it.

I bring this up because now instead of being in the mojave I'm in the splash zone of this earthquake- not just west of the five but spend a lot of time west of the 101. In fact I was just thinking I should check my elevations at frequent hangouts.

We have signs in the area that look like this...

But they aren't too close to home.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'd just like to say if Seattle ever takes a 9.2 as the FEMA article cites they are preparing for, there will be a LOT more than 13,000 deaths (also taken from the same article.)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think they are obviously lowballing. I suppose if you could calculate how many people travel across a given city in the first half of the rush hour, and subtract that from the number of people actually in the area at any given time, you could get a rough estimate of how many people would really have to take their chances with a tsunami and get an accurate estimate on death toll.

Or you could just count the homeless- the entire homeless population of seattle will die if this happens. That's 10k people right there.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

I can still remember a dream I had about 12 years ago about being in Seattle and seeing the entire city rocking and crumbling and a group of friends and family and others were up in the Space Needle. The foundation of the building also crumbled, but the top part started spinning and morphed into a UFO and those people inside flew off.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Just based on the "everything west of I-5, we assume will be toast" comment by the regional authority is enough to say that the casualties in that scenario would be monsterous. Seattle's bulk density is west of I-5. Factor in the very real probability that a major quake will destroy the crumbling Viaduct, 520 floating bridge East pylons, and potentially the I-90 bridge, and you have a whole lot of folks who are going to be stuck if a big tsunami comes into the area.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It looks like the huge island, Vancouver Island etc, is sort of helping to block Canada's West Coast, but I am still curious what effects Vancouver and the areas just above Seattle would experience, even in terms of the earthquake itself, not just the tsunami. I guess pretty much the same.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

lolz

Apologies, yes.

Thank you.

No apologies needed, I live about 20 linear miles from Yosemite so I just like to inform.

My girlfriend lives in San Francisco and It amazes me how many people just go on with their lives down there. The San Andreas movie was packed in the movie theaters, go figure.

As a native Californian, earthquakes are the least of anyone's concerns. Living near Yosemite we had a front porch view of the Record Rim Fire and 70% of the people here would drive up to the hill tops like it was meteor shower. Not going to lie it was a lot of entertainment for the community.

It just seems that people that are not from California worry more about natural disasters in California than Californians do. Right now our one and only large concern is the drought situation. Even that seems comical to most.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join