It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please ATS, nobody is BANNING the flag.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: network dude

I stand corrected then.

Yeah, he's really proud of himself -- no serial numbers or anything because he made it. Like stated, he just can't sell it or give it to anyone.

I'm sure if I paid for the materials, he'd let me help make my own.

...and I bet he'd be utterly delighted to know folks are talking about it on the interwebs!

This is one of those things you just DON'T discuss, man.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is what I'm afraid of now. There is a new social media campaign encouraging people to trespass on private property and steal privately owned Confederate flags. Two examples: #noFlagginchallenge and #DestroyConfederateFlag .

People are posting videos on FB and other sites of themselves trespassing and stealing flags. Unfortunately, IMO someone will eventually get hurt or killed and the riots will begin. SMH

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Why? It's 100 percent legal.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
There doesn't even need to be, as people mentioned early on in the debate, "Was there an exectutive order?" to ban the flag. People through social issues are taking it on themselves. Major businesses were asked to remove the flag merchandise, they caved in. Effectively the flag is harder to come by for anyone wanting to exercise the right to wave one. Not even to mention it's now an even stronger notion that people displaying the flag as well as supporting what is their heritage are meant with that they are racists.

Twitter # tag going on the social media with calls and shared actions of stealing the flag from private property-See here.

Apparently there's more developing news, not fully confirmed and I hope it's not true, with the NAACP to remove the Confederate carving memorial at Stone Mountain.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

My intentions have been clear since the very beginning (despite Beezer trying to put words in my mouth). I am all for the removal of ANY symbol from government buildings and property. They are public buildings so the public gets to determine what should be there or not be there. I am NOT for banning these symbols outright. I have no problems with them showing up in a museum or history books or anything like that. I'm NOT trying to hide history or ban something that is important to people.

I believe you. But, do you speak for all the people who wished to remove this flag from the SC buildings? Some of them aren't as nice as you are.

I can't and never speak for everyone. But what I CAN tell you is that our nation isn't going to suddenly do a 180 and go in the opposite direction as all legal precedent on the matter says. The SCOTUS has time after time upheld racists' rights to be racist EVERY TIME someone tries to complain about it. So I see nothing different here. All the overreacters are doing is complaining because the flag is being removed from federal lands and buildings, but that is PUBLIC property. So the federal government can remove or add things at its own discretion. I mean what the people in this thread are doing is akin to complaining that the President's family can redecorate the White House.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I didn't want to start a new thread..but now I've seen everything. I think the flag should have been removed from the State capital of South Carolina. But then everybody should have been happy! We just can't erase history though.

From Seattle, near where I am.

SEATTLE - A Confederate monument in Capitol Hill's Lake View Cemetery is in the spotlight as a local group calls for its removal.

For more than a century, Lake View Cemetery has been the final resting place for many of Seattle's pioneers.

Only a short walk from one of the cemetery's most visited grave sites - that of Bruce Lee - a 14-foot granite monument memorializes Washington state's Confederate veterans and their families.

"Just because it's a military memorial doesn't justify it," Charlette LaFevere says. "It's offensive."

LeFevere is part of a small group calling on Seattle city leaders to have the 89-year-old United Confederate Veterans Memorial taken down.

"To me this is the most racist monument in the Northwest," says LaFevere.

But not everyone agrees. Andres Uribe, who is visiting the United States from South America, stopped by the cemetery. He said the Confederate monument is a part of U.S. history that can't be erased.

"In my opinion I don't think they have to get this monument down - my God I can't believe it. It's part of the story ... in the United States," he said.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray doesn't like the monument, but says any sort of removal is out of his hands.

"Private property is private property," Murray tells KOMO News. "I support the First Amendment. I don't want it there, I don't like it, but I also don't believe it's the role of government to tell people what to do with their private property."

Created and funded by the Washington state chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1926, the monument includes the "Stars and Bars" battle flag.

The memorial has been vandalized repeatedly over the years, most recently defaced by graffiti following the racially-motivated Charleston Church shootings.

"I don't want any person - person of color, anybody, to walk by this monument and feel intimidated or oppressed," LaFevere says. "And its very existence is expressing that."

www.komonews.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Apparently there's more developing news, not fully confirmed and I hope it's not true, with the NAACP to remove the Confederate carving memorial at Stone Mountain.

It's true, and they (the NAACP) wants the entire sculpture removed, since it's a state park, and their tax dollars fund it.
wbtw.com...

According to WSB-TV in Atlanta, the organization released a statement calling for the removal of all symbols of the Confederacy from the park, as well as any other state-owned buildings, parks and lands.

“Those guys need to go,” the President of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP, Richard Rose, told WSB. “They can be sand-blasted off or somebody could carefully remove a slab of that and auction it off to the highest bidder.”

But take heed, this doesn't mean anyone WILL remove anything else. Just that a group of whiners are whining.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hidinout

Don't worry. I have continually been assured that nothing else will be taken down. You can refer to several members here who have been very vocal, and very certain in what they say. this will all just blow over.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Nothing else will be taken and removed?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Come on Beezer, you have seen the repeated assurances here that fully explain why nothing else will be removed.
Several members here have been flocking to all the flag threads to share that bit of wisdom. If Obama said it, you can take it to the bank. (unless it's about your doctor or health care)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

So after the flag, Stone Mountain Menmorial, all the flags on confederate graves, all confederate flag emblems, all confederate flag emblems on toys, all confederate statues and symbols. . . nothing else will be removed?

Okay then.

Just as long as it's a simple flag in South Carolina then.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

that's just it. we were assured it was only the flag on the SC capitol. Nothing else will be removed.
Obama set a precedent, and it simply won't happen. All is well.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

That's a relief.

*whew*

I thought that there'd be a broad sweeping removal and movement to eliminate all confederate flag symbols on all public land. And in addition, a twitter movement to criminally remove those symbols off of private property.

Glad to see that it's not going to happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

That's a relief.

*whew*

I thought that there'd be a broad sweeping removal and movement to eliminate all confederate flag symbols on all public land. And in addition, a twitter movement to criminally remove those symbols off of private property.

Glad to see that it's not going to happen.

See, now don't you feel better? As I said, all the proof that this will not happen is in print here, and those who made the firm statements are on record as stating the obvious facts.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Hidinout

Don't worry. I have continually been assured that nothing else will be taken down. You can refer to several members here who have been very vocal, and very certain in what they say. this will all just blow over.
LOL, yes we can all see how well this is going!

I have to say I really was quite surprised when I read this news story this morning, but remember folk this is Seattle where the use of "brown bag" lunch and "citizen" are offensive words.

the story is from 2013

q13fox.com...

SEATTLE — Do you often refer to the people of Seattle as “citizens” or your sack lunch as a “brown bag” affair?

Well, watch that harsh language, bub. You don’t want to insult anybody.

Elliot Bronstein of Seattle’s Office of Civil Rights recently sent an email to public information officers who work for the City of Seattle discouraging the terms “brown bag” and “citizen” from being used in informational releases.

According to Bronstein, the term “brown bag” originally referred to a person’s skin color, and if they were light enough to be allowed admission to an event. The term citizen, Bronstein said in his email sent months ago, is often used as an incorrect synonym for “members of the public.” However, not all members of the public are necessarily citizens, he said.

“Language matters,” Bronstein said in the email. “And the city has entrusted us with the keyboards.”

Bronstein recommended the terms “sack lunch” and “residents” as appropriate replacement phrases. The email was not extended to all city employees, but just public information officers.
edit on 14-7-2015 by Hidinout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

So there's literally two people that did the challenge, the rest of the tweets under that hashtag are just talking about it... like all black people everywhere in the US are running around looking for rebel flags to steal. BTW those two idiots have their faces all over the friggin internet. #godirectlytojail?

/rolleyes

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

So there's literally two people that did the challenge, the rest of the tweets under that hashtag are just talking about it... like all black people everywhere in the US are running around looking for rebel flags to steal. BTW those two idiots have their faces all over the friggin internet. #godirectlytojail?

/rolleyes

That's good then if today and the follow days more won't follow suit. Ps., no one was pointing at " all black people everywhere in the US are running around looking for rebel flags to steal" but rather warning that it's not a good idea to do such.

edit on 14-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

It's true, and they (the NAACP) wants the entire sculpture removed, since it's a state park, and their tax dollars fund it.
wbtw.com...

According to WSB-TV in Atlanta, the organization released a statement calling for the removal of all symbols of the Confederacy from the park, as well as any other state-owned buildings, parks and lands.

“Those guys need to go,” the President of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP, Richard Rose, told WSB. “They can be sand-blasted off or somebody could carefully remove a slab of that and auction it off to the highest bidder.”

But take heed, this doesn't mean anyone WILL remove anything else. Just that a group of whiners are whining.

NAACP has been against the park for some time. Now there's more incentive and support for it it's removal. Hope nothing more comes of it.

Removal anything else? The monument is the park take it away it no longer has that meaning.
edit on 14-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

They used to calling it blackballing.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join