It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Jimmy Carter: "I believe Jesus would approve gay marriage," What do you think?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Well Dear nwtrucker,

I don't think the principal space of a home is the bedroom, as a mater of fact it is perhaps the Living room.

Why I think this? because normally that is the room from which we enter to the house, as well as he principal space of socialization, also since it is where there is warmth of the fire, that is so important in the three seasons of the year in which we look for a place to rest and to protect ourselves of the environmental conditions.

Now, when two persons decided to live together it can be using the same bed , but that is not necessary, even many couples of different gender can agree with me.

Again, what the Supreme Court has determined, in a not easy decision, based on rule of Law, is the right of same gender people to have a social bond protected by the same benefits of a couple legal status, that is all.

The Supreme Court concept of how to apply the Law is not saying anything about the kind of intimacy must exist in between the partners in social civil union.

Everybody can survive without sexual life for long time, but without affection is highly improbable. Of course either homosexuals, or asexuals or bisexuals are not the exception to this rule.

What happened when the parents of these persons have died, and all the siblings have married and are so busy in trying to move their families ahead in life? I don't think is fair to deprive them of the possibility to have also a home and somebody that take care of them.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 7/11/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Dear notmyrealname,

What President Carter has said is a very intelligent reflection from a perspective of compassion and Christian charity for all.

His position is inviting to assume a positive attitude and to see what it is of respectable and constructive in the motivation of the Supreme court to offer protection to all the citizens.

Since his personal reflection on the subject is lacking of any attack to anybody I don't see where is the risk of division that a a meditation on his words can represent.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

It's okay to love your dog, just not LOVE your dog. I hope I never see the day this changes too.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight
C'mon, we all know that Beastiality will be the next major Supreme Court decision…..

Gotta protect the minorities...

edit on 11-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Why would religion trump anything else though?

you want Religion to rule the world, but what Religion? would you be Ok with another Religion that forced it's rules upon you? would you be Ok having to follow the Rules of another Religion than your own?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

I get your joking, but be careful some Ignorant people actually believe that nonsense...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

It's okay to love your dog, just not LOVE your dog. I hope I never see the day this changes too.

Yeah, because that's a logical leap! Just about as logical as Jesus Christ being the bridegroom of the Church.

edit on 11-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Dear Lazarus Short,

if the First Command of the Law of God would be to marry a person of the opposite gender and have children I am certain that Jesus himself should marry a lady and not dedicated his entire life to preach and to live offering himself in service to others.

The case is that clearly Jesus never marry following a vow of celibacy that was assumed by many other Prophets before him like Elijah, Jeremiah or St John the Baptist.

The same can be said of many of his Apostles or disciples, Neither St Paul, St John, St Jude or St Luke married any woman.

Again, the Decision of the Supreme Court is to protect same gender permanent partners in general, it is not intended exclusively to promote or endorse homosexual behavior.

Homosexuals can use this decision to protect themselves of discrimination and also of lacking of legal benefits, giving them the opportunity to have a home, but the Law is not intended for them, it has a bigger scope, it also protect Asexual or Partners living together but in a celibacy.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Just wait until people want to start marrying Puppies and Kittens....

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
C'mon, we all know that Beastiality will be the next major Supreme Court decision…..

Gotta protect the minorities...

Nope, it'll be polyamory next. Then they'll segue into child marriage, and THEN they'll probably get around to bestiality. Although since bestiality is legal in places in Europe ... it may be coming to these shores sooner than we think.

On the Jimmy Carter note, I think he needs to study his Bible more.

Jesus was pretty clear that while we can love one another and should, that unrepentant sin is also not to be tolerated. He taught that sexual immorality is still sin. And he defined marriage pretty clearly in order to explain divorce.

All can be forgiven, but simply because He loves us doesn't mean we can call Him a "get out of sin card."

Similarly, it was not Christ who taught "" Do as thou wilt an it harm no one which is more or less how "Love" has become defined in too many places today. This is more or less a permissive or pagan version of love.

Say what you will about Christ, but he did not teach Love in that manner, not in a permissive way. He taught that there are rules and expectations of behavior that one should attempt to live up to - gay, straight, thief, prostitute, or righteous man. God set the law and all are equal before it and none can live up to it perfectly which is why we need forgiveness. Those rules don't change just because we wish they would.

Jimmy ought to know that too.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Just wait until people want to start marrying Puppies and Kittens....

Animal weddings are all the rage. I make tutus for dogs, (and people), cats won't were them. I saw a "Doggie Wedding Gown" for $6000 dollars on ETSY! I kid you not, I'm in the wrong business!

But HORROR OF HORROR!!!! Not cats marrying dogs, NO NO NO...... Nor puppies marrying kittens!

Oh the animanity!
[shutters]

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Dear Ultralight,

I found your comment really bold, a person that lives with another one permanently , being both of the same gender, is a human being, and must be treated and respected as that.

I think the comparison with an animal, with all my respect for all that have deep feelings for their pets, it is not appropriate and sounds harsh.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

1. Jesus did not marry for He was born to be a sacrifice - a practical matter.

2. Jesus already had His bride in mind, who makes her appearance in the Revelation. I suspect who she is/will be.

3. No one seems to listen to arguments from purpose and design. Why is that?

EDIT: This occurs to me, that YHVH God took corporate Israel as His bride at Sinai, and that bride (yes, for He states later that He is the Husband of two sisters, Israel and Judah) includes both females and males. Wrap your mind around that.

edit on 11-7-2015 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can't seriously believe that, what person who is not blinded by pure ignorance actually believes that Same-Sex Marriageis going to eventually lead to Pedophilia Marriages and Animal Marriages

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Dear Ketsuko,

When President Jimmy Carter is referring to gay marriage I believe he is really talking about same gender civil union, that anyway is what the Supreme court has ruled recently. He is not referring to Sacramental Marriage, and also I suggest you to give a glance to the opening post of the thread, and read what refers to Adelphopoiesis.

Institutional Religion also has its own weight of responsibility in the so grave argument that the same gender partnership has created around the world.

The fact is that in primitive Christianism, the one that can be traced backward to the 1st century Adelphopoeisis offered a space in the community for people that couldn't marry for any reason but didn't want to spent the rest of their lives alone.

Why Churches didn't respect and preserve in this point the tradition, and decided to cut an institutional sacrament or rite about the XIX century? is a good question for theologians and Religion Historians.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Nope, it'll be polyamory next. Then they'll segue into child marriage, and THEN they'll probably get around to bestiality. Although since bestiality is legal in places in Europe ... it may be coming to these shores sooner than we think.

Sounds JUST like the way this video explains Sodom and Gomorrah!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Again Dear Lazarus,

You are ignoring a really long list of Prophets of the old Testament including some of the most important ones, Like Daniel, and a lot Saints of the New one that never married any woman and happen that among them there are figures that are pillars of the Christian faith, like St Paul, St Luke or St John the Apostle.

Thanks and please check again your sources.

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Dear windword,

This is also valid for Ketsuko, the philosophy of this thread is to extinguish the fire of conflict and confrontations around the topic, is not to agitate more the discussion.

This is something that perhaps only a person that is a Nobel Peace award , like President Jimmy Carter is, can realize easy, but I am sure you two can grasp if you really want:

This is the moment to show forgiveness and mutual respect in deep charity, for others, not in to continue in political campaign on to support any personal position on the topic.

Jesus, by the way, invite us with his example to express perfect love for others, a kind of love that is merciful under any circumstance and even toward old rivals or enemies.

Jimmy Carter as a Christian person, not as a Politician, has decided to react with love and compassion precisely because that is what join all humanity under the same condition, we all need love and affection.

Same gender civil union can be sinful for some people, but also if it is assumed with positive attitude can motivate love, can be an invitation to commitment and a respectful life based on relationships and end with the promiscuity or sexual addiction that has caused so much damage to the society.

What degrades the society is to have a huge growing sector of the community that is having sex without developing any attachment for their partners, that is what is perhaps more worrying in the reality that the authorities are trying to deal with. Right now, with the decision of the court, there is no more excuse for anybody to claim that there is no space for commitment in their own way to express affection.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Which is exactly the irony of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Ezekiel 16:47
You have not merely sinned as they do—no, that was nothing to you; in a very short time you far surpassed them.

48 “‘As I live, the Lord God says, Sodom and her daughters have never been as wicked as you and your daughters. 49 Your sister Sodom’s sins were pride, laziness, and too much food, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door. 50 She insolently worshiped many idols as I watched. Therefore I crushed her.

51 “‘Even Samaria has not committed half your sins.

Some Christians are full of pride and judgement, and while they have supportive and loving families, they would deny that to "strangers", because they're strange. While they have jobs and homes, they support the right to deny others those things because they're strange.

And, while they sit and judgement of those they oppress, not even wanting them to "eat cake", they're divorcing and remarrying in numbers that gay statistics can't touch and never will!

I go could on...but I'll leave it at LGBTQ oppression and discrimination infractions, for now.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Jimmy Carter as a Christian person, not as a Politician, has decided to react with love and compassion precisely because that is what join all humanity under the same condition, we all need love and affection.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Carter ALWAYS treated people with compassion and love, as a Christian. That's something that most of us non-Christians have been able to do for quite some time now, when it comes to granting equal marriage rights to LGBTQs. However, due to outraged and outspoken Christians, there's still long fight ahead for their basic civil rights.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join