It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We bicker over meaningless topics and have fallen victim to the silent weapons of segregation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Race
Religion
Sexual Orientation

What would happen if everyone just stopped. You stopped, your peers stopped, the media stopped, our politicians stopped. Everyone just stopped discussing these three topics?

What if your color meant nothing, what if your religion meant nothing to anyone and what if the way you chose to display your affection for another had no effect on anything?

What if a crime was not defined by it’s color, what if reasoning was separate from religion and what if our laws promoted equality?

What if we were all one color, what if we all practiced the same religion or none at all and what if love was simply seen for what it is?

What if our children were never taught that color meant creed, what if we never taught them what to think within reason and what if you taught them to love anyone they desired?

What if skin color actually represented diversity instead of division, what if religion represented freedom of thought instead of closure and what if sexual orientation was as borderless as the sky above?

If we were all the same, we would be begging to be different. It seems the more differences we promote the more we seek shelter amongst the similar for fear of intolerance.

A total conundrum and emotional mechanism that has been thoroughly ingrained in our youth and hardened into adulthood.

There are those who display no affiliation, bias or dominion over any other human regardless of their differences, but are drowned out by stereotypes, mongers and oppressors.

Many new member are unaware of the the old ways on ATS and how far we’ve drifted. The teamwork, collaboration and willingness to live and let live and encourage free thinking has become stifled.

You cannot entertain a closed mind with unfounded revelations and many prominent members have lost the will to teach us their knowledge.

They are often met with harsh, rude and derogatory feedback from those lacking focus which further compounds their inability to illuminate young minds.

Our thoughts have now become weapons of mass destruction. An opposing front of disagreement, a fear of conflicting beliefs and the unwillingness to entertain new ideas.

I beg members to stop all threads related to race, religion or sexual orientation unless the are delivered intuitively, respectfully and with honest transparency.

I kindly urge all members that respond to these types of threads, to do so in the same manner, out of respect for the right to think freely, open and honest.

I may be labeled in response to my plea, but that is to be expected. It is this very notion that has alienated our very best and brightest members, who have moved just far enough away from the divisiveness, while staying near enough to their passion.

Learn to hold back, learn to refrain from your desire to belittle and help those who may appear open to your suggestions.

Stop feeding into the hate. Stop at the expense of the less educated and misguided for it is not up to you to decide who needs saving.

Please consider everything you do on here and realize this website was once a unique location for unique individuals to gather and share ideas.

Make it what it once was and you will see how a collective conscious truly thrives. Be the light in the darkness. Be a leader and set an example even when none are willing to follow.

Tread lightly, as your response to this thread will cast light into the darkest corners of you mind. I have no desire to alter the path you choose, but just remember that you reap what you sow.

I am a simple man who thinks in simple terms. I find it hard to understand the complexities of emotion and such eagerness to display some of it's worst forms.

I am not a prophet and don't take myself to seriously. I am not a great philosopher or poet and I certainly don't believe to have all the answers.

I have trouble putting thoughts into words so anyone who took the time to read this, I can only offer my appreciation and gratitude for attempting to understand the rambling of a disappointed individual.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
I think you have to put the owners of the Media who push this Agenda to the degree they do responsible. He who controls the Media controls the Message. Seems they want to help create wedges and divisions to distract while while they slither.

Divide and Conquer.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Race Religion Sexual Orientation

Only those 3 of the thousands of imaginary groups we are split up in by everyone , most of all our government? Why answer a question on a census what race you are? I can answer that for everyone. HUMAN . Religion , personal information that no one including the government has a right to know unless I tell them.Sexual Orientation ? Who cares ?Why should anyone care ? I dont like the term "diversity" . That word has its very roots in the word divide. Lets try unity for a change.

S&F for you..

edit on 9-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

ATS is like a garden with many different flowers, bushes, trees, paths, insects and other garden goodies that make visiting the place a pleasure.

All gardens need weeding lest it become overrun and overburdened with noxious plants, mold, fungi and parasites - then it will not be enjoyable to visit.

We are the gardeners - each one of us and we have a responsibility to maintain the greatness of the garden.

Focus in on the message and not the messenger, hold fast, maintain the moral high ground, always be courteous and polite in your correspondence and agree to disagree, we are not here to change minds, but to learn and grow.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
I think you have to put the owners of the Media who push this Agenda to the degree they do responsible. He who controls the Media controls the Message. Seems they want to help create wedges and divisions to distract while while they slither.

Divide and Conquer.

I understand what you’re saying, but who buys and reads the newspaper? Who pays for cable, turns on their television and stops on a specific channel? Who pays for internet access and decides what websites to digest?

Too elaborate, I don’t believe there was a single point in time where humans were responsible for themselves even though some might disagree. Alpha dogs are found throughout nature and certainly we are apart of it’s grand design.

It is natural for us to seek console or direction from those we believe can provide it. False prophets, "experts", politicians, propaganda mouthpieces and oppressors are found around every corner and people are lining up at the door to get the next spoonful.

Aside from that, an agenda only exists if it can be identified. Those who can’t see through the trees are steadily infiltrating the most sacred of places, such as ATS, lol. I'm glad I share such a clear vision of the world with many fellow members.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

ATS is like a garden with many different flowers, bushes, trees, paths, insects and other garden goodies that make visiting the place a pleasure.

All gardens need weeding lest it become overrun and overburdened with noxious plants, mold, fungi and parasites - then it will not be enjoyable to visit.

We are the gardeners - each one of us and we have a responsibility to maintain the greatness of the garden.

Focus in on the message and not the messenger, hold fast, maintain the moral high ground, always be courteous and polite in your correspondence and agree to disagree, we are not here to change minds, but to learn and grow.

Mr. Sublimecraft,

Your posts are invaluable on this website and cause me to eagerly click when I see your name. I must apologize though, often when I read your reply to me on my threads, I am gobsmacked with such a high dose of reality and levelheadedness, that I don't have much to say.

I have not held my end of the deal and my lack of response may come off as disrespectful. Eventually, I hope to become an equal to you and your wisdom. Your analogies towards life can make fools of us all and you are lucky to have such perspective. There is hope as long as you are a member here.
edit on 9-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Very well said sir, and I agree 100%.

There's really not much more I can add (because you said it all so beautifully) other than to give you this:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It truly is up to us individually and collectively. No matter how hard division is pushed into the social psyche, it only has the power that we give it through our actions and words.

We don't have to play that game at all, we can design our own. We just have to actually work towards it, together. Each of us a piece of the large puzzle that is humanity.

The only requirement is choosing where and how we participate, taking into consideration such participation creates our entire society.

The little things in our life that can seem so trivial all come together to create the world as we know it. It's easy to see how "small" we are, but we are also so very big. There is a balance in that concept that hints at the true greatness of our responsibility, personally and collectively.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

These things are not 'taught' us — exposure to the world, and to other people, actualizes potentials that are already within us, and this is both natural and necessary. It is idle to blame the media, which only give people what they want. The problem is within each and every one of us.

There is no need for an evil elite using weapons of mass communications to make people suspicious and divided. We're like that anyway. It astonishes me that anyone can be an ATS member and not realize this. You see the full gamut of human division and disagreement on the site.

You can say all that's created by elites using the media, but it's not a credible argument.

Wishes and 'what ifs' are fatuous. Let's stop dreaming and start addressing the real problems of the world, one at a time. It's the only way. We'll never win, because it's like painting the Forth Bridge (or the Golden Gate Bridge, I guess); by the time you finish it's time to start all over again.

edit on 9/7/15 by Astyanax because: it's not a credible argument

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Chauncy Gardner

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I nominate this post (and poster) as the best post of the year.

If no one can understand this post, there may be no hope for them...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

What are some of your ideas?

What can we start with?

I think that one aspect lies in the prisoners dilemma. Proper incentives can change behavior, for better or worse.

Planned obsolescence should be a four letter word, if you catch my drift..
I also like the idea of encouraging hacking of products, and then sharing those improvements back to the source as well as the 'product community.'

Personally, I believe the scientific method mimics our natural exploratory behavior. While the value of the method is well known, we teach it in a very limited manner. Perhaps encouraging it alongside the natural growth and learning of a child would allow such thinking to become commonplace rather than something "those smart people do.'

The division, as part of our cultural story, is just as likely to affect the 'elite' and the media as anyone else. I think that as a species, it is time for a good hard look at these things at every level in society. And then, more importantly, work towards something better rather than ways to maintain dominance.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You appear to be very empathetic and caring, I admire you. Thank you for taking the time and energy to share your wonderful insight.

I beg members to stop all threads related to race, religion or sexual orientation unless the are delivered intuitively, respectfully and with honest transparency.

I kindly urge all members that respond to these types of threads, to do so in the same manner, out of respect for the right to think freely, open and honest.

I feel you.

I am not a prophet and don't take myself to seriously. I am not a great philosopher or poet and I certainly don't believe to have all the answers.

You certainly do possess wisdom. Thank you for this refreshing, honest, and eloquent post about reclaiming our sense of direction, integrity, respect and power of free thought.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

These things are not 'taught' us — exposure to the world, and to other people, actualizes potentials that are already within us, and this is both natural and necessary. It is idle to blame the media, which only give people what they want. The problem is within each and every one of us.

There is no need for an evil elite using weapons of mass communications to make people suspicious and divided. We're like that anyway. It astonishes me that anyone can be an ATS member and not realize this. You see the full gamut of human division and disagreement on the site.

You can say all that's created by elites using the media, but it's not a credible argument.

Wishes and 'what ifs' are fatuous. Let's stop dreaming and start addressing the real problems of the world, one at a time. It's the only way. We'll never win, because it's like painting the Forth Bridge (or the Golden Gate Bridge, I guess); by the time you finish it's time to start all over again.

I believe you and I are mostly in agreement except for a few things. I like to equate it to a baby being born into a white room. And of course, anger, shame, sadness, deception, fear, happiness, jealously, all come built in, but like you said, it takes exposure to manifest these feelings.

The child will be sensory deprived and have little to think about other than it's own body. It could accidentally fall down, bite it's finger or tongue and feel pain. It might get fed food and like or dislike the taste. The noises it might be induced to could cause it pleasure or discomfort and later on fear or anticipate these sounds.

The child's experiences will be devoid of prejudice and judgement and if those initial reactions are nurtured and reenforced buy a parent, they can eventually choose to sidestep most adversaries to their beliefs. They absolutely can be molded to become the pinnacle of positive human emotion and we can only hope their interactions, as you say, will pay itself forward.

Obviously this is a hypothetical situation, children are extremely impressionable at an early age, even into young adulthood and the manipulators of society are very aware of this. I know you don't live in America, but you may have visited and saw what takes place on a different scale.

We are made to feel and think we are free, which I will admit, do have it better than a lot of other countries, but there is a cost for freedom and its becoming more than I can spiritually afford. We are our own worst enemy, but when your soul awakens and you spread your wings only to hit both sides of the cage you didn't realize you were living in, things can become quite depressing.

Apathy and defeatist emotions manifest over perseverance and positive judgment, causing us to lash out and denounce anything and anyone that opposes the little shred of identity we have left. For change to exist, we must never start outside of ourselves.

We begin to fill the void with what our "handlers" have instituted as the model of human behavior. Patters of thinking and actions that develop into preconceived outcomes brought to you by design. My problem, no reaction, their solution. A downward spiral and an eventual loss of identity and self worth.

If your soul is unrefined, anything you are willing to change externally will be unrefined as well. Many people cannot admit that for true communal change to take place they must fist look in the mirror and ask what needs to change within themselves.

Before one gains that ability, the system, environment and personal interactions will act as "auto pilot". The sad part is, some people really thing they're in control when they are only inline with those who are controlling them with their "free slave" model.

It makes them feel "put together" and substantiated when they have a wife, kids, nice house, nice cars, manageable debt, bills are paid and they get to watch their favorite television shows after a fat meal.

There's nothing wrong with those things, except they contribute absolutely nothing to our long-term well being and meaningful relationships are few and far between. It starts with you, me and them, not everyone else from our own points of view.

Sorry for my long winded response, but I felt a little different than yesterday and my thoughts are a little sewed. I probably could have said it much better if I relaxed first after work was over.

edit on 10-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Ideas for what? What is the problem you think needs to be solved?

Human nature is not amenable to change. Social engineering cannot make us better people, but it can ameliorate the effects of human nastiness. The trouble is that its side and knock-on effects are not predictable. And there's also the problem that there are always people who want to subvert or sabotage the programme.

So what we have to do is recognize that Utopia is unachievable. If you want a better world, you have to work towards it constantly, knowing the work is never going to be completed or work out exactly as planned. It's easy to lose heart, but every generation comes at it with fresh hope and enthusiasm, and so the race goes on.

My point, though, was merely that the fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our tsars but in ourselves.

edit on 11/7/15 by Astyanax because: of Shakespeare.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I have no great faith in the power of conditioning. If you want to condition a step change inbehaviour you generally have to brutalize people. But my point is really simple. I think we should each acknowledge our own autonomy as individuals and stop blaming other actors -- government, media, corporations, religious organizations, secret societies -- for our singular and collective troubles.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

We agree on your point. After all, our tsars are "us."

And yes, the work towards a better world is constant and as long as the goals remain founded in idealism, they will not be achieved. For most, that means a futile effort, but not to all.

A perfect world may be unachievable, but I don't believe that applies to a better world. We can achieve that with a single, minute action. How we incentivize systems and satiate greed are constantly changing in a historical context. How do you think the greedy (all of us) would respond if there were more effective ways to quench that thirst? Throughout history, this has occurred and I am of the mind that we are about to experience another shift. There are plenty of options, but as always, the one that will prevail is the one that we participate in the most.

It all starts to veer off topic, but you actually answer my question either way. I was just looking for specificity rather than the same 'ol.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I wholeheartedly agree with this post - In real life, I have friends that are as anti-gay marriage as they can come. When I made a post asking if it affects them, both Friend A (who is against), and Friend B (who was all for it) had a philosophical debate about it - there was no trolling like we see here (where some threads are made to bring out the naysayers), but it was with complete understanding of the others' viewpoints.

And on the other side, I think there are some topics where people should think more before posting. For example, a Race thread owner should be aware that not everyone will be the same skin tone as they are. When I discuss race with a coworker (who is African American), we both avoid certain parts out of respect for the other. He's open to what I have to say, just as I am open to what he says (even if it's 100% against what I believe).

Don't know why you thought you'd be labeled: I Also award this thread post of the timeframe (not that I can award you anything...Here's a medal icon instead).

-foss

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

What can we start with?

Start at home,start with you world and when you have achieved what you are looking for expand that idea to the world around you and spread it as far as you can....

To the OP ...nice thread......to answer your question i think if the religion,race and sexual orientation were to be removed we as people would come up with something else to bicker about....if we could only change our way of thinking so as to remove the intolerance and judgement and replace it with empathy and understanding.....

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

How do you think the greedy (all of us) would respond if there were more effective ways to quench that thirst?

Some, perhaps most of us, would just end up wanting and amassing more.

This is an experiment that has already been run, countless times. When people have more money than they need to live in reasonable comfort, they begin to accumulate status symbols. That is how human males compete for mating rights; through status competition. Status is awarded for all kinds of different things but wealth is one of the most popular, because it's easier to acquire than fame, honour, sanctity, creativity or ferocity.

Call to mind the Great Pyramid of Khufu, consider it in relation to the economic and manpower resources of ancient Egyptian society, and you see how far this can be taken.

If you want me to propose specifics, you need to anwer my earlier question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join