It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Ukranian PM: I Will Never Accept Election Result

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yet again the votes of the Ukranian people have failed to resolve the ongoing election/power struggle in that country. With liberal challenger Yushchenko holding a commanding lead in the election, Prime Minister Yanukovich has refused to concede defeat and has vowed to appeal to the Supreme Court. This is the 3rd election held this year after the first two were deemed invalid by the Ukranian courts.

www.reuters.com
KIEV, Ukraine (Reuters) - Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovich on Monday refused to accept the outcome of the re-run of Ukraine's presidential election in which his rival holds a big lead and said he would challenge the result in the Supreme Court.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't believe the Ukranian people will stand for this, especially not if the Supreme Court backs Yanukovich. We are getting dangerously close to blood in the streets and open revolution.
Even more unnerving, this would morally demand the intervention of other European nations, probably through NATO as Russia can block UN intervention. Does it even need to be said how fragile things can get with NATO troops toppling a Russian ally right on their doorstep?

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Which one was the good guy again?
PLEASE... nominate people with distinctively different names next time...

My compliments to the determined Ukranian people for doing what had to be done, to see a fair election (hint, hint... america). It is not very often that you see the good guys win and justice prevail.
My thought is that a large majority of the Ukraine have backed the "good guy" (the one poisoned) and have rejected the previous fraudulent winner (the guy who perhaps poisoned someone). So the chance of civil war should be more bark than bite... Without it being a close contest, most losers should lick their wounds and go home...

The statement by the loser was immature at best, and just down right stupid at worst...
to say that this election should also be annulled is tanatmount to saying...
NO NO NO... WE DONT STOP TILL I WIN!!!!
the first election was a surprise for everyone... didn't match the exit polls...an obvious fraud
the second came out the exact way they predicted... and NOW it is supposed to be annulled... does that guy know how idiotic that makes him sound?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
My compliments to the determined Ukranian people for doing what had to be done, to see a fair election (hint, hint... america).

In the interest of being fair, the Ukranian election is only a partial parallel to the American one because the margin was MUCH greater in Ukraine.

So the chance of civil war should be more bark than bite... Without it being a close contest, most losers should lick their wounds and go home...

Hopefully, but 40% of the population with heavy outside support from Russia could certain make a war of this if they chose to. I really think the liberals want it more though and that they will most likely make the better showing early on to push the election results through with minimal bloodshed.

The statement by the loser was immature at best, and just down right stupid at worst...

I'm sure you know this, but he just had to say something. He can't just come out and say "to hell with democracy- I'm Russia's man and I win", so he is giving stupid arguements to pretend he is working within the system.

Sometimes you have to say stupid stuff in order to fake a respect for the system, because your real reasons show a lack of respect.
Like when Clinton challenged the definition of "is". Clinton was just going through the motions because it would have been crass to come in and say "I'm the best democrat since JFK and you dang well know you can't touch me".

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
well there is more but what and why is unconclusive..

AMSTERDAM, 27-12-2004
Ukrainian minister of transportation Heorhiy Kirpa has been found dead in his land estate just outside of Kiev on Monday. He has been killed by a bullet, as a statement made by his speakman to the press agencie Interfax.
A police officier of the maindepartment of police in Kiev stated that Kirpa was found alive. The officier was unwilling to make further comment on this case.

source :
Zon/Novum
www.zonnet.nl...
translated into English by Markluitzen himself.

[edit on 27-12-2004 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It is kinda funny how just a week ago, they shook hands and said "we both agree to not dispute the next election... we will both work to unify the ukraine... smiles and handshakes...
now when he didn't win, it is "WE WILL NEVER ACCEPT THE RESULT, WE THREATEN CIVIL WAR".
What a sore loser...
I hope they get it all sorted out... i see good things in ukraines future, if they stay stable....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This guy should get together with Al Gore. They could start a sore losers' club. They could go on tour together and rant and rave about the current administrations.

''How dare they subject us to such dishonor and disgrace! How dare they drag the good name of the (insert name of country here) through the mud of (insert outrage du jour here)."

www.suntimes.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This guy should get together with Al Gore. They could start a sore losers' club. They could go on tour together and rant and rave about the current administrations.

''How dare they subject us to such dishonor and disgrace! How dare they drag the good name of the (insert name of country here) through the mud of (insert outrage du jour here)."

www.suntimes.com...

I disagree with Al Gore in almost every respect, but I have to say that Yanukovich is worse. I can only pray that those to whom we entrust our government here in America would have more dignity.
Al Gore lost by an incredibly thin margin because there are two very strong rival schools of thought on American government right now. Yanukovich has no such defense. He has lost by a margin which can not reasonably be questioned and he has watched an overwhelming number of his countrymen protest against him for weeks. His own supreme court has snubbed him once. It is a disgrace that now he seeks not only to disregard the election but to use judges who have not jurisdiction over this matter to pack the court for his appeal.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You would be surprised how far some people will go just for a grasp of power. In this case, Mr. Yanukovich is only losing credibility. I would not expect him to concede, because he has overwhelming support in the eastern half of the country, and is probably hoping for a share of the power, pherhaps even a seperation of the eastern half. We can only hope that this gets resolved peacefully, but already things are more optimistic than they were a week back.

top topics

join