It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my soybeans are flowering and sky hazy from canada wildfire smoke...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
My first year farming without someone holding my hand so I've been very nervous my first crop (winter wheat) wasn't good enough so I planted soybeans Into the live wheat then had it chemically burned (roundup) populations 156000 per acre and they look amazing. Into development stage r3 and a time when sunshine and heat are paramount to yields. Here in Iowa it's been very wet and unseasonably cold .there were very few spring planting days and many local farmers couldn't get some of their fields planted. My question to a.t.s. is that with this sudden hazy sky that just appeared (supposedly from a Canadian wildfire) will this be another determining factor for yield ? And if so in what way ? Will the smoky haze affect the Sun's rays enough to cause a difference? R3 seems a delicate time for soybeans . they are pioneer brand p34tor7 variety and also a similar number in asgrow brand .thanks!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: yitco

keep up the good work my garden is hurting

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Thirty years ago, an Environmental Protection Agency committee determined that the popular weed killer Roundup might cause cancer. Six years later, in 1991, the agency reversed itself after re-evaluating the mouse study that had been the basis for the original conclusion.

Now the issue is back again, in an even bigger way. An agency of the World Health Organization has declared that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, “probably” causes cancer in people. One piece of evidence the agency cites is that same mouse study.

Eat at your own risk. Don't forget about others you feed either, including animals. As always, the data can be disputed, but I'm inclined to believe Monsanto are master manipulators and have lost faith in their ability to reason.

Officials at the agency, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, said they had no agenda other than to inform the World Health Organization. They said the conclusion was based on studies of people, laboratory animals and cells.

“All three lines of evidence sort of said the same thing, which is we ought to be concerned about this,” said Aaron Blair, a retired epidemiologist from the National Cancer Institute who was chairman of the group of 17 reviewers from around the world; agreement on the classification was unanimous.

Link

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Blah blah I asked about the sun's rays not Monsanto or whose &!××€ you gobbled try being a farmer and not using a herbicide lol good luck .I limit the use of chemicals I have been walking my beans for days with a garden hoe removing noxious weeds so I can avoid a second application of herbicide. But watch out baby grasshoppers are everywhere too well have to use insecticide or well you won't be doing it at all . make the markets bear what the grain is worth and what it cost to produce and then it would be possible to explore a Monsanto free world but until then..

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
That has a nice ring to it, "Monsanto free world." I'm going to give you a star for that, just for irony.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: yitco
Blah blah I asked about the sun's rays not Monsanto or whose &!××€ you gobbled try being a farmer and not using a herbicide lol good luck .I limit the use of chemicals I have been walking my beans for days with a garden hoe removing noxious weeds so I can avoid a second application of herbicide. But watch out baby grasshoppers are everywhere too well have to use insecticide or well you won't be doing it at all . make the markets bear what the grain is worth and what it cost to produce and then it would be possible to explore a Monsanto free world but until then..

Try sowing some punctuation into your next paragraph and don't be so rude. I was merely pointing out the dangers of glyphosate that you may or may not have been aware of.

Anyways, apologies for my previous off-topic post.

Good luck with your frankenbeans!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hey no problem sorry I'm a mite touchy but I deal with it everyday both my grandfather's died from cancer my best friend growing up died from leukemia at age 17 .I don't condone the continued usage but reality is there is no danger from gmo crops .they are the same just bred not to die from roundup. Just a sprinkle of herbicide goes on the plants many rains before any grain is formed. Recent advances in conservation like field tile and buffer strips also slow the leaching into waterways. New laws governing whom actually apply the herbicides take beginners mistakes out of it. If not for herbicides I'd have to burn a tanker load of diesel to till the land enough to wipe all the weeds out and that leads to soil erosion nearly half of Iowa's topsoil has been lost to erosion since modernized farming began. Fukushima is polluting the Pacific. Farmers use roundup.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
My dad was a farmer and I was on the tractor with him when I was a kid spraying the perfectly safe DDT on the crops. He believed it was safe and I heard the salesmen telling him it was perfectly safe. He reassured the people on his delivery route that the food was safe because that is what they told him. He got frustrated when he found out he had been lying to people when the truth came out and sold the farm for a quarter of what it was worth.

Now, I cannot prove the brain cancer he got two years later is related, but it was a similar type to what the farmers in Maine got from spraying the DDT.

So the people who make Glycophosphate say it is perfectly safe. I'll never believe that, I have used roundup and I won't use it anymore. I have seen so many of these chemicals get banned in my life, I am really surprised roundup has not been banned. They must own the people in the FDA.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I just want someone to explain to me if the sun's rays will be altered in any enough way to affect flowering of soybeans. They typically flower for only 10 days. My farming future hinges on these crops

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Roundup and roundup ready soybeans or triple stack corn make it possible to control nearly every weed without damaging the crops. Without using a herbicide by the time harvest came you wouldn't be able to see any beans through all the weeds and combining them would be a nightmare. What crop would be harvested would be polluted until dockage would occur. Never mention the yield loss from competition from the weeds. Using cover crops can reduce weeds but reality is that only using one shot of one type of herbicide is what it's gotten to

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: yitco

Why don't you join a website about farming soy beans......

top topics

join