It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought our very first metal detector...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What a blast we have had just digging in our own back yard lol. So far we have found a whopping 58 cents, just $139.42 more and we will be even. My house was built in 2000, so there is no chance of finding anything of any value here other than normal lost change.

Any ATS members old hands at this that can give us some tips? I live in rural Kentucky and there are tons of old abandoned houses and what not in the general area.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

I live in Kentucky and I will give you the best location . Look along old Stonefence lines especially where there is gaps . People sat on walls and lost change for hundreds of years .

Also check your historic Registry in your town. Then go to the current owners and see if you can make a deal or just explore for fun .

Remember you will grow to hate bottle caps and pulltabs .

Edit; I will add to list some . Creek forids, large old trees , if you know where there's a whole in the ground in the woods there was probably a cabin there at one time areas like that are good . But probably the best place is to check city records and see where the old county fairgrounds are. You can find locations that go back to the late 1700s .
edit on 6-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I have always been interested in getting a metal detector for my wife and I. Any suggestion on a good one, reasonably priced, that will detect gold?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I've been out of it for years. I have not kept up at all with the makes and models or abilities. Sorry
edit on 6-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Old family history is that during the civil war, my family heard that the confederates were moving through the area, so the great grandmother (at that time) took it upon herself to bury all the silverware and jewelry...and forgot where she put it and supposedly it was never found... that old farm house also served as a stop on a stagecoach line.

The old farmhouse has been torn down, I saw it when they were demolishing it....until they found the original log cabin the the farmhouse was built around. Last time I was there, they had numbered all the logs on the cabin, evidently they moved it somewhere else for historical purposes. I am going to talk to whoever owns the property now and see if I can get permission to check out the old farmhouse site and stage coach path.

I suspect that they built a McMansion on the old house site, but I haven't been there in 25 years.
edit on R182015-07-06T22:18:13-05:00k187Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well if money is no object you want a minelab etrac for land and a minelab excaliber 2 for beach , lake underwater , they are $1500 each

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpLateWakingUp
Well if money is no object you want a minelab etrac for land and a minelab excaliber 2 for beach , lake underwater , they are $1500 each

Money is an object. lol

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Be aware, that there are ethics tied to using a metal detector. You can easily find them on-line, TreasureNet.com is one place with all sorts of data and forums much like ATS.

There are some detector users that like to play the ignorance card and use their devices where they are prohibited. Any national park, monument, etc. restricts metal detecting as do most state parks, some city parks and even some public recreation areas. I know it is a real bummer. Just because it isn't posted along with such signs as banning alcohol or fires, doesn't mean that it isn't banned. Beaches are nice place to hunt as there are no great concerns of finding old artifacts and careless hunters leaving holes.

First rule is to always fill your holes. Second rule is to ask for permission to do your hobby on another's property--unless you like a shotgun to prod your butt along your way. A place need not be posted in order to get you arrested. In Texas for example corner posts and some intermediate post painted purple are definite, law-accepted signs of no trespassing allowed. So be careful, it is a great family sport.

Learning your machine on your own property is an excellent way to know what you are hitting when the sound goes off. You never know what may have been on your yard before it became a yard.

My first day out to a beach at a local park that allows detecting I found two gold rings. ''Can't say that I've repeated that feat however, but even digging for a bottle cap can be exciting. In one way, my extensive yard is a "gold mine" in that regard thanks to the prior, junky owners!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I actually went to my counties sheriff office to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.... they told me to treat it like hunting, if its private property, get permission first. They also said that places like public city parks, fairgrounds etc were fine.

On a good note, I also asked if they see many people out metal detecting and they said they never see anyone with a metal detector so that is good news as far as places being picked over, at least in recent memory.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The oldest fence post (gate to the old house) or old tree in from yard is a great start, most didn't use banks in the old days.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: UpLateWakingUp

Money is an object. lol

Those must be the latest and greatest from Minelab, I still use a Minelab Explorer from the early 2000's, and it does me just fine...

A bit on the heavy side as far as detectors go, but I don't mind... My rig cost around a grand with the upgrade probe (pinpoint in the hole), but you should be able to find them for a fraction of that cost on an auction site, craigslist or local classifieds..

Good luck!!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

ty.. I find all kinds of shtuff on CL. So I will start looking there for a minelab..

top topics

join