It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News stories are being written by bots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Put on your tin foil hats everyone...

Most people are aware that bots make up sixty one percent of internet traffic, but did you know that they've also taken up journalism?

That's right-bots are now breaking the news in more ways than one.

The world’s largest news organisation, Associated Press, gets its computers to write finance stories, using software called Wordsmith. And the same software also writes sports reports for Yahoo, and real estate copy for Homesnap.

abc.net.au

So how does this work? well luckily for us Automatic insights has a clear and concise explanation:

Automated Insights’ patented Wordsmith platform transforms Big Data into narrative reports by spotting patterns, correlations and key insights in the data and then describing them in plain English, just like a human would.

That sounds like bot talk to me, but if you are still dubious, read their case studies

But the story gets far more fascinating-and frightening. It seems that the bots are better than us...

At Sweden’s Karlstad University, Christer Clerwall got his journalism students to read two reports of football games. Four out of ten who read the robot text thought it was written by a journalist.

And five out of ten who read the journalist’s story reckoned it was written by a robot.

abc.net.au

The frightening fact is that this is just the beginning.

Developers claim the software can be programmed to produce general news, movie reviews and, heaven forbid, even opinion

And a head honcho at AI (hmmm) claims that the bots could become "snarky and humorous."

So for all those ATSers who called this a while ago, feel free to say "I told you so". And who knows, maybe I'm a bot...
edit on 6-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I bet they can program the things to be on one side of an issue too.

I wounder what a debate would be like for 2 opposites?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I bet they can program the things to be on one side of an issue too.

I wounder what a debate would be like for 2 opposites?

That's one of the first things I thought of-why pay a journalist to spread the word when a bot will do it for free?
edit on 6-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

So now we not only have to put up with basement trolls, but now the government agencies roll out super-cyber-shill-bots to sway online opinion.

Next thing you know the 2020 US presidential election will be held exclusively on Facebook and Twitter with a resounding landslide victory to a dynastic bloodline because he or she really really is that popular (and wealthy).

Hearts and minds is the new battlefield and I have a feeling, going by the current FB and twitter crowd, that we're screwed.

Hoap fa chaynge - Camacho for pres.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Put on your tin foil hats everyone...

Most people are aware that bots make up sixty one percent of internet traffic, but did you know that they've also taken up journalism?

That's right-bots are now breaking the news in more ways than one.

So are you a real person or a bot messing with us?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I've read some of the "bot-generated" posts before on other websites, it's weird when you think you're reading post from 'computer generated' "bot" some are obvious and usually "same theme" links etc, most probably need to be reviewed by a human 'editor'
edit on 6-7-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Pretty scary.

If you were a bot then Thecakeisalie would be a lie and I think I'll stick with the pie.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is not a posting.

I did not type this.

There are FOUR lights.

Eat this, robots!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I like it when a computer program writes a paper
and it becomes a cited part of scientific journals.
www.slate.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It won't be right until they develop a PC that runs on Electrolytes for more powerful stories.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

From what i've read and heard than this is not a threat to the established journalists, but will stop many people from entering the field.

I can see a way around this-bots lack the personal touch. A few colloquialisms and here and there and the boys will be separated for the bots.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well that just goes to show that absolutely no job is safe from automation.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I imagine they added a level of deception attribute that can be used to adjusted the data when the time is right to manipulate people's investing and therefore the market.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Say waa . While reading your post my mind is thinking about Pepe Escobar and his style of sarcastic humor and thinking ,thank God for the human spirit and the signature it has on literature and how a dumb computer doesn't and then I read
"And a head honcho at AI (hmmm) claims that the bots could become "snarky and humorous." "

Yikes ..off to read more on this ,and see what others along with the bots have to say . thanks op

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Looking to by one garden weeder . Preferably cordless , call 255-9765 ask for Bert

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
what? its not a bot

Its just your standard synth-american job creator!

Welcome to the worrrrld of tomorrowwwwww...no job for you!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Good grief.

When even journalists are suffering under the yoke of the techno tyranny, you know the world has gone to pot.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that there are only certain ways in which a journalist can be leveraged to create a story along the editorial line, where as a computer executes a program without compassion, or regard for consequence.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown

It won't be right until they develop a PC that runs on Electrolytes for more powerful stories.

Don't be silly, electrolytes are what plants crave

Anyone ever see that B film with Danny Trejo. Eyebots?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

They really seem to ramp up during election season. Oh that's next year? lol

top topics

join