It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British national holidays are rubbish. Have a good 4th of July everybody.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
My understanding of US culture is embarresing but the US seems to make a big effort on the whole for independance day.

In the UK all we have is a couple of bank holidays when everyone seems to have to go and have a crap BBQ eating cheap burgurs, burnt sausages in crappy asda bread rolls and drinking warmish carling in someones 30 foot by 30 foot garden and thinking about what they could be doing instead.

To be fair the little kids seem to enjoy running about a lot but other than that it's just crap.

I would like to think that this is not the case in the USA because the impression is that you all actually take the time to make a good day of it.

I hope this is the case and have a good one.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yes, the Americans do it right! Happy 4th July!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I bet a ton of Americans feel the same way you do, just add ...and then there are fireworks.

Maybe it's due to the relative youth of the nation.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Thanks brother from a different mother. You should come enjoy it sometime, honestly here in the south people like the fourth of July more than their own birthdays. It's a very boisterous holiday where drinking and explosives are not just encouraged but expected. My country may be broken and the sheeple disillusioned, but that's one holiday we come together, set aside differences and anyone here on that day are all Americans. And I promise if you visit you'd be included along with anyone else.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks brother from a different mother. You should come enjoy it sometime, honestly here in the south people like the fourth of July more than their own birthdays. It's a very boisterous holiday where drinking and explosives are not just encouraged but expected. My country may be broken and the sheeple disillusioned, but that's one holiday we come together, set aside differences and anyone here on that day are all Americans. And I promise if you visit you'd be included along with anyone else.

I just copied your post and repeated it so you could star it back and take two stars for that comment.

I may take you up on that offer, it sounds like a lot of fun.
edit on 2/7/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/7/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Thank ya greatly, always love my British and Aussie brothers, we share more than we think and it's always a good time, no matter who's heritage we celebrate as we are all rich while unique and similar, but always strongly comfortable company.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
British should celebrate the 5th of July.

Like an annoying relative is finally gone.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

They could celebrate with a TEA party!!

haha.. I kid..

I don't think I am doing anything on the 4th,
but I'll have a few beers,
and listen to all the explosions and sirens lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Even as a brit i enjoy the 4th of july for the simple reason its me mums birthday so always a good excuse to kill some flowers

Just keep the rednecks from working out that nukes are somehow covered under the 2nd and thus turning entire counties into glass where the last words uttered were "ok got me beer; so lets see what happens with this puppy"

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

shait u made me realize is July !!!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

In the UK all we have is a couple of bank holidays when everyone seems to have to go and have a crap BBQ eating cheap burgurs, burnt sausages in crappy asda bread rolls and drinking warmish carling in someones 30 foot by 30 foot garden and thinking about what they could be doing instead.

That my friend is the world you live in... bank holidays for me are awsome. . And British summertime is amazing with so many things to do.

Maybe you should get out of the 30 foot garden and try it some time.. although when I do the crap pt sausage bbq thing with all my friends they are awsome too..

Anyway back to the point. Happy 4th of July my American cousins..

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

God, I really dont want to be that Brit, but you realise you're celebrating a holiday on the wrong day. I mean 4th of July isn't the correct date. Most of the people signed the declaration of Independence on the 2nd, there were still some who signed later, the last ones to sign were done near the middle of November. July 4th is strangely the day that Jefferson and Adams both died 1826, so whilst I wish you all a very happy 4th of July, I'd says that while you might have a great thing to celebrate I'm still going with the British holidays being better because...well I'm British.

I'm that guy aren't I? Ah poop. I had to be that guy.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

August 24th would be better.

*insert annoying condescending laugh* we burned your capital to the ground, so suck it colonials!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

July 4th is the day the wording of the Declaration was approved in its entirety and it was sent out for publication.

So, no.

You're still "that guy" though.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Damn .. Someone needs to get the number for dwoodward's local burn center..

Anyway, is it somehow wrong to have margaritas on the 4th?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

To be fair, John Adams thought everybody would celebrate July 2nd also. Turns out nobody gave a damn when it was signed, they cared when it became public. And, side note, Adams celebrated the 4th along with everybody else and not the 2nd so I mean...come on.

Are they made in America? If so, do it up.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

God, I really dont want to be that Brit, but you realise you're celebrating a holiday on the wrong day. I mean 4th of July isn't the correct date. Most of the people signed the declaration of Independence on the 2nd, there were still some who signed later, the last ones to sign were done near the middle of November. July 4th is strangely the day that Jefferson and Adams both died 1826, so whilst I wish you all a very happy 4th of July, I'd says that while you might have a great thing to celebrate I'm still going with the British holidays being better because...well I'm British.

I'm that guy aren't I? Ah poop. I had to be that guy.

You can be whatever guy you choose to be buddy.

I was going on the fact that the Americans celebrate on the 4th?

History often get it wrong or has to pick a number and all and the point was....

Well you know what the point was as otherwise you would not have read it and posted.

As to your comment that you will go with the British holidays because your British?

Well thats just silly now isn't it.

That's how communism started you know and we all know what that leads to....

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

To be fair the little kids seem to enjoy running about a lot but other than that it's just crap.

I would like to think that this is not the case in the USA because the impression is that you all actually take the time to make a good day of it.

I hope this is the case and have a good one.

dont kid yourself.
90% of americans use the 4th(and any holiday really) as an excuse to get loaded and act like a total knob.
kinda ruins it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Ouch, cannot one indulge in some holiday drinks without inducing dip#tery?

.. Should have seen this year's sowo, the height of drunken stupidity every night.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

That's called freedom
and I suppose football games there can be used similarly. No need to throw rocks when we live in similar houses. Populations do similar things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join