It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosetta Probe Sees Shiny Signs of Water Ice on Comet's Surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Here are six examples of bright patches identified on the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in images acquired during September 2014 by the Rosetta probe's OSIRIS narrow-angle camera. The insets point to the broad regions in which the patches were discovered, and not to specific locations. ESA / Rosetta / MPS for OSIRIS Team

Patches of water ice appear to be speckled across the surface of a comet, according to a new study using observations from a European space probe.

The Rosetta spacecraft, currently orbiting Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, spotted 120 bright, reflective spots on the surface of the comet that were at least a couple of meters (about 6 feet) in size. While their composition is still being examined, the spots tend to appear in areas that are shaded by the sun, scientists noted. The researchers also noted that there have been no significant changes to the spots after a month of observations.

The spots are up to 10 times brighter than the average surface brightness of the comet, as measured by Rosetta. Sometimes they appear together, particularly when they are at the bottom of cliffs. The research team speculates this is because the cliff wall recently eroded or collapsed, revealing material below the dusty surface.

It's not clear when the ice patches formed, but the team has two hypotheses. The first suggests that when 67P was closest to the sun, 6.5 years ago, cometary activity pushed the icy chunks into shadowed regions and protected them from the sun. Alternatively, perhaps carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide beneath the surface pushed the ice around while the comet was farther from the sun.

Link

This is interesting in some of the pics it looks to me like a "wet rock " and in others it reminds me of the bright spots on Ceres .

it's fascinating , makes me wonder about the history of this comet .

Oh and here is a new pic of the sun , just because

Thoughts ?

Kap

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
How sure they are that this is ice and not some bright minerals? If it's really ice, then that's a cool find. I wonder what will the Electric Universe supporters say about this.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Sweet! There are Rita's on other celestial objects. The universe must be teeming with delicious frozen desserts.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
How sure they are that this is ice and not some bright minerals? If it's really ice, then that's a cool find. I wonder what will the Electric Universe supporters say about this.

You have an excellent point . I who knows what that could really be , my first thought was a "wet rock" ,second was Oil or some other kind of liquid . The reality is though , what ever i is i am sure its frozen.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Because NASA said so...

Interesting will the probe hold when the comet makes the turn around the sun and will we see the ice turn into a liquid state ?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Exactly what they always say:

"if they find x/the comet does x, it suports EU"
"if they dont find x /the comet doesnt do x, it suports EU"

They have a great model, they cant lose....no matter what thos lying cheating scumbag (/s) scientists find

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1

Because NASA said so...

Interesting will the probe hold when the comet makes the turn around the sun and will we see the ice turn into a liquid state ?

No. It would quickly transition to a gaseous state (water vapor) since there is little to no atmospheric pressure on a comet.

top topics

join