It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi May Stop Issuing All Marriage Licenses

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: xuenchen

Given the court that ruled is SCOTUS... I don't see 'em winning it.

They really need to get over it and move on. We've much more important things to worry about.

Yeah like the confederate flag.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

[sarcasm]Yep...that.[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
It's part of the South, not all the south.

Nor is it all Conservatives, merely some.

Stereotyping does nothing to salve the wounds.

Merely some Conservatives?

More like the majority.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Definitely not all...

But arguably, all the ones in a position to get with the times rather than leave their respective State & constituents stagnating in the 1950s.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

???
it seems to me that it's the gays that have been force into doing something they didn't agree with...
hiding their true selves, marrying people they didn't love to appear "normal", living a lie!
just how does this ruling force you or me to do anything we don't want to do?
you've mentioned churches being forced to marry gays in posts in another thread about this subject I believe. but well,
in my lifetime I've heard of the catholic church refusing to marry people because of divorce.
jews being refused marriage because the spouse of arab..
and well, sorry to say but I get the impression that a church can refuse to marry anyone on any grounds and have never heard of any ever being forced to change their minds!

I've also heard of churches that are willing to marry gays. so it's not like all gays will be denied a church wedding if that is what they want, they just might have to hunt down one willing to do it, just like that jewish man and arab women had to hunt down a church that would marry them!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So Supreme Court rulings on the Constitution only matter when people agree with them?

Good to know.

You truly believe that there is a "right" to gay marriage under the Constitution ? That the Founding Fathers intended this or would approve?

BS!!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Again........
My post is on the topic in this here thread, NOT on every little twist and turn in US history.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

is there anything in the constitution that talks about making all irish people wear little stars on their clothing so we can all identify them easily?? so, I guess that if the majority decided they want to make them, well it is all fine and dandy!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

It's called the 14th amendment.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Yes that's exactly what I said...

Just with completely different words, & not in that context.

The founding fathers?
You mean the slave owners?

Wouldn't they?
That's good to know as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

As neither of us know the numbers. I certainly don't, though it's probably closer to 50/50 then I'd like... I'm conservative, and I happen to applaud the courts decision. Probably won't the next one, but meh...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yes, and those who pay attention to my position on this know that I don't stand in the way of letting them have what they call a marriage or letting them have legality.

But

I do very much take umbrage to the attitudes in this thread of sending in troops and forcing compliance through funds starving and other means of basically forcing people like myself who may not want to stand in their way but don't agree with it personally ourselves to comply, to approve, to go along with no protections for our conscientious objections.

These are tactics we've been accused of time and again. All things we've been accused of wanting to do.

And when this has been pointed out, I've been told to get off my high horse.

So, yeah, it makes me want to tell the rest of you to take a big, fat, flying leap.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Now that I won't really dispute... Certainly seems to be a mort of 'em. That's easy enough to fix come election time, if I'm right, and you're not...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's likely, as I'm rarely right.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

All those words, and nothing to illustrate exactly how it's going to make life harder for you. I want deets, hon. Specifics. Bullet points. Is the ruling going to impact your marital relations? Is it going to impact your driving habits? Cleaning routine? What you cook for dinner? Your electric bill? Is it going to make your clothes not fit right anymore? Computer boot slower? Will your cell emit more static & echo more on calls? Texts won't go through? How you mow the lawn? How fast you get through a check-out line? What your weather forecast will be? Will it give you cancer? Diabetes?

Really would love to know just how this ruling is going to turn the world upside down for people personally. What one thinks a dusty book says about it doesn't count, firsthand hardships in daily life is what I'm after. Try me,I'll wait.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Nose, say goodbye to face.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You, too?

Wonder what that entails for the future...?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

All those words, and nothing to illustrate exactly how it's going to make life harder for you. I want deets, hon. Specifics. Bullet points. Is the ruling going to impact your marital relations? Is it going to impact your driving habits? Cleaning routine? What you cook for dinner? Your electric bill? Is it going to make your clothes not fit right anymore? Computer boot slower? Will your cell emit more static & echo more on calls? Texts won't go through? How you mow the lawn? How fast you get through a check-out line? What your weather forecast will be? Will it give you cancer? Diabetes?

Really would love to know just how this ruling is going to turn the world upside down for people personally. What one thinks a dusty book says about it doesn't count, firsthand hardships in daily life is what I'm after. Try me,I'll wait.

If it ends up impacting the 1st Amendment all our lives get worse.

So snark all you want, darlin', but we'll see in the end who has the last laugh. It'll likely be the government because they'll be the only ones allowed to.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Now they just need to legalize the mary jane

So we all can chill out!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So Supreme Court rulings on the Constitution only matter when people agree with them?

Good to know.

You truly believe that there is a "right" to gay marriage under the Constitution ? That the Founding Fathers intended this or would approve?

BS!!

The beautiful thing about the Constitution is it has mechanisms to allow us to change it. The Founders did that on purpose so we could evolve over time. That's one of the things I love the most about the US Constitution. And I'm sure you've looked into the Amendments after the first 10, right?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join