It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi May Stop Issuing All Marriage Licenses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
But how is anyone in Mississippi going to marry their dog or their goat or 15 year old now?

I thought that's what was going to take place in droves if marriage became equal for everyone under the law?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Little tyrants?

How the hell so? Because many of us are in favor of equality for everyone in all facets of life? Tyranny?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: spinalremain

But how is anyone in Mississippi going to marry their dog or their goat or 15 year old now?

Really? What does that even add to the conversation?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Well come on, it's Alabama. Do we expect anything intelligent to come out of there? Where else in the country are we going to find someone stupid enough to say "meh, segregation was better than this."

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Not just this. There is so much more crap from both sides, that something is going to give sooner or later. If it's not Gay Rights, it's guns and if it's not guns, it's flags and if it's not flags it's emails and if.....get the point?
Anything to keep the sh*t stirred.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
so let's see, we are gonna replace the gov't issuing marriage licenses with churches and notaries?
don't see where this is gonna make much difference really....
gov't agencies will still need proof of a marriage before certain services can be provided and well, I kind of think that each state will have to keep some kind of registry of marriages along with divorces or else those agencies will not be able to function as they are now...
unless of course, you don't want the spouses recieve their due benefits from the Va, or social security benefits, ect.
I suppose you could remove all these benefits and services to make things right but well, then the conservative christian right would have to rethink the idea that mom should be sitting at home tending to her children and home instead of working since this was the primary reason why a wife was allowed to claim social security on her husband's income!

seriously people!! does the idea of same sex marriage offend you so badly that you'd rather just due away with licensing and by doing so deny the spouse of a vet to be laid to rest beside their loved one in a military cemetary?? Sounds kind of pathetic to me!!!
or maybe yous aren't really all for state rights either and would prefer to just hand the responsibility of keeping track of marriage over to the federal gov't.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'd just like to point out all the little tyrants coming out on this thread telling the rest of us how to live, how to believe and that they know better and how exactly to force us to comply by any means to justify your ends.

This, folks, is where the roots of the first Civil War and the battle flag come from. This type of behavior right here. Some people thinking they know better for the rest of us and attempting to force us to comply.

Maybe it's not time to retire that flag yet.

Oh get off your high holy horse. Tyranny would be seizing your bibles, beating & killing you for praying, burning your churches & subjugating you as dirty little religious worms fit only to work in servitude. That isn't, and won't be, happening. Give. Me. A. Break.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Mississippi makes South Carolina seem like Massachusetts its so conservative and bigoted

Amazing often the biggest bigots are the most religious!

It’s their inner ethnocentrism, a plaque of the human nature, based on self-love the antithesis of Jesus’ teachings

link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Oh my! I had the biggest crush on Bo Duke when I was just a girl... I didn't even think twice about the rebel flag at that point, or the General Lee, I just thought...well, it wasn't so much thinking as...um (blush)

ANYWAY...

Your point is taken. I do think some folks are very afraid of change of any kind that seems to rock the status quo on some fundamental level. Change becomes an affront to all they think of as right and good and "the natural order of things." Civil Rights movements, the agents of change throughout history, have caused that fear and there is always a time of backlash where fear runs over good sense and takes over the minds and hearts of good people. Women's suffrage, 60's Civil Rights movement, more women's rights issues (still ongoing today and still creating backlash), LGBT rights, etc.

Yes, there is always backlash, because change = fear for a lot of people. Fear that God will be angry. Fear that their power will be taken away. Fear because "the way its always been" is no longer true, and the world people wake up in is so foreign to what they grew up with. Fear is the enemy of "live and let live."

loved that picture...(sigh) so many memories... (blush)

- AB

link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Louisiana and Texas apparently LOL

Most Republican presidential candidates also slammed the ruling, but realistically assessed the slim odds of overturning the ruling. The most conservative candidates, though, like Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, vowed to push for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz called the same-sex ruling, as well as Thursday's decision to uphold a key provision of Obamacare, "shameless, judicial activism."

"Today, it's some of the darkest 24 hours in our nation's history," Cruz said in an interview with Sean Hannity.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I'd just like to point out all the little tyrants coming out on this thread telling the rest of us how to live, how to believe and that they know better and how exactly to force us to comply by any means to justify your ends.

This, folks, is where the roots of the first Civil War and the battle flag come from. This type of behavior right here. Some people thinking they know better for the rest of us and attempting to force us to comply.

Oh get off your high holy horse. Tyranny would be seizing your bibles, beating & killing you for praying, burning your churches & subjugating you as dirty little religious worms fit only to work in servitude. That isn't, and won't be, happening. Give. Me. A. Break.

Stuff it!

I've had enough.

You can call it whatever you want, and it doesn't change the reality - you want to force people who have contrary beliefs to do things your way. You are just as bad as you would accuse us of being. Take a good long look in the mirror.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Here's the solution to their problem.

Allow the privatization of marriage licensing

But they won’t do that because it would solve the issue and they probably don’t really want to solve this issue

Shucks the conservatives privatize everything else why not this.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyRock
WAY OFF TOPIC:

"One nation under God..... with liberty and justice for all..............."

YEAH, Right...........

No, I think I stop there...........

Yeah because founding a nation on genocide and slavery really set us on a righteous path from the get-go, didn't it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Stuff it!

I've had enough.

You can call it whatever you want, and it doesn't change the reality - you want to force people who have contrary beliefs to do things your way. You are just as bad as you would accuse us of being. Take a good long look in the mirror.

Sometimes it's necessary to force people with different beliefs to do things the right way.

Such as in the 60's when segregation was rampant in the South, when Blacks couldn't drink from the same fountains, or swim in the same swimming pools as Whites.

I'm sure that for a lot of people in the South the notion of blacks being equal to them was revolting, and insulting to them. But any rational person knew that segregation was wrong and needed to be dealt with.

And today, again, we have to drag the South into modern times, kicking and screaming.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
ya, then we can listen to they gripe and complain more about marriage going out of style and all those unwed mothers because well, the cost of the license will triple or more and no one will be able to afford to get one!

of course, before it got too bad, the gov't would have to step in and subsidize it, and well, or course it would be the lawmakers' buddies that would be going into the marriage licensing business, so those check for the licensing would grow and grow some more, with most funded by taxpayer money!!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Is it the South though?

Are you sure it isn't the right?

Then again, that's an over generalisation as well.

2015 eh... Haha.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Is it the South though?

Are you sure it isn't the right?

Then again, that's an over generalisation as well.

2015 eh... Haha.

It's Conservatives

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You won't find me disagreeing with that, muse.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's part of the South, not all the south.

Nor is it all Conservatives, merely some.

Stereotyping does nothing to salve the wounds.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Here's the solution to their problem.

Allow the privatization of marriage licensing

But they won’t do that because it would solve the issue and they probably don’t really want to solve this issue

Shucks the conservatives privatize everything else why not this.

Shhh !!

don't give anybody ideas.

they might just hire private churches !!

the license is usually only good for 30 days.

what if the courts delay or refuse to perform civil proceedings?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join