It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kawasaki P-1 may visit RIATT

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Multiple sources are reporting that Tokyo is going to attempt to visit RIATT next month with their P-1 ASW aircraft. Rumors are that they plan to offer it to the MoD for the new MPA the UK is seeking.

OK UK members, keep those cameras handy, we want pics.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Multiple sources are reporting that Tokyo is going to attempt to visit RIATT next month with their P-1 ASW aircraft. Rumors are that they plan to offer it to the MoD for the new MPA the UK is seeking.

Thing is though the RAF crew some of the P8 pretty damn well I hear, the mission suite in the P8 is what we designed for Nimrod MRA4 (possibly upgraded but IRRC we get royalties from Boeing for each system due to IP) probably build some of the black boxes in it too.

Going to be hard to convince the RAF to buy Jap I recon?

Off to look up P1 specs...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Actually the MoD is reportedly pretty interested. The P-1 is up to half the cost of a P-8, depending on the cost model used. All of them agree that it's noticeably cheaper though.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Actually the MoD is reportedly pretty interested. The P-1 is up to half the cost of a P-8, depending on the cost model used. All of them agree that it's noticeably cheaper though.

Really good read on UK ASW for those interestedly:

link

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

It's range seems kind of huge compared to the p-8 and its short legs (4 hours) and the p8 has no IFR probe, so expensive and needing more expense if IFR is needed?!

Plus 4 engines, low level MAD, just logistics the P1 is a uniqueish aircraft but you have to love the Japanese manufacturing capabilities.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Myself and Silk will be at RIAT on the Saturday, so will keep an eye out

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Hopefully they'll make it there. It'll be cool to see pics of it.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Fairford is not too far from me so I normally go, but for health reasons I can no longer go, plus my brothers taking his mate who has two toddlers. So I'm not really up for playing baby sitter all day in my state. I might go with my dad on the Monday, to see the planes leave. Normally better for getting pictures although no displays

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I always preferred being out there to park and launch them. If I was there the day of I found one aircraft and parked my butt there most of the day.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 to be honest the RIATT hasn't been very impressive for the last few years. There was a time when the USAF really put on a show with all the crowd pleasers. Last time I went, there was hardly any USAF presence at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Sequestration. They're growing their presence again now that they have more money.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 I thought that's what it must be. It's amazing how quiet an airshow can be without the USAF presence. I got to see the B1b, B-2, F117 and F22 all at Fairford as its pretty much the biggest show in the UK along with Farnborough

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

If the rumour is true then I'll get some pics. Off to RIAT on Sunday the 19th .. Which also happens to be my 30th bday. If it flies I'll post some pics on this thread and maybe a little video

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: Zaphod58

Myself and Silk will be at RIAT on the Saturday, so will keep an eye out

Neformore.. Strange question are you on facebook ? On my fbook I'm a memeber of a group called unofficial RIAT nutters. It's a group for all those that go to RIAT and can share pics etc. it's a closed group but if you were interested i can send you a request to join. That's if you want to that is and if you have fbook

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Zaphod58 I thought that's what it must be. It's amazing how quiet an airshow can be without the USAF presence. I got to see the B1b, B-2, F117 and F22 all at Fairford as its pretty much the biggest show in the UK along with Farnborough

I went last year and was a bit unhappy at what aircrafts were flying. Like you said when theres no US presence it seems quiet. RIAT last year was the first airshow in over a decade. Before then I use to go to Mildenhall for the air fetes.

I think the days of seeing b52s b1s b2s etc flying displays here in the UK are over

Sorry to make this thread drift off topic with my replies. I'll shut my mouth now

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I will be there but travelling light so small digital camera. I will film it if I see it.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I go there every year and have mostly for about 20 years. Last year the US decided on less than usual presence at RIAT due to their defense budget.

The Swedish gryphon was a sort of replacement for the Raptor. I got some good film of that, it was a nice display.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth
Oh cool
I understand the reasons for the US not having much aircraft available for airshows and I inow since I last went to airshows money was more available. That's life I suppose. I'll be going on Sunday this year got some grandstand tickets

Also are you on facebook? Not sure if you saw my reply to neformore but there's a fbook group which is quite friendly but dedicated to the RIAT airshow where people share photos vids and other RIAT info

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I agree, soon it will be all predictor drones and displays from the Swiss aerodynamics team.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I have seen the RIAT facebook page, maybe even posted in it once years ago. I sometimes share my RIAT videos on youtube.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join